At what point does goalkicking become a crisis?

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:35 am

We have no goalkicker in the team and we don't have anyone likely to come in who can kick either. So, we are stuck with Benji.

Last night, that easy miss at 12-4 was an absolute momentum killer.

Last week we completely outplayed the Cowboys, yet they got to within 6 points near the end because we'd missed so many goals that we hadn't cleared out.

Facts are facts..........Benji is kicking at around 55%.

Did any of you hear Warren Ryan last sunday? He was saying that, in this era of around the corner kickers, anything under 80% is a disgrace. He lashed out about Benji being below 60% as a farce and said any team without a kicker will pay for it at some point throughout the season with 2-3 extra losses.

And he's absolutely RIGHT.

At the moment, we need to outscore our opponents by 2 clear tries just to win. At what point does it become a crisis? It's got the potential to derail our entire season as the simple facts are that come mid winter there's going to be a lot of tight 2-4 point games that are won / lost on kicking.

Personally, I think management should be on the phone working out a deal to get Krisnan Inu somehow released from Parra. He's not wanted there, he would be a nice upgrade on the wing over Fitzy and he can kick 80%.

Other than that, what do we do????

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:39 am

Mitch Brown is an accomplished GoalKicker...

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:50 am

about 12 months ago...

at 12-6 its a completely different game last night. the dogs begin to doubt themselves and we lift. the heads went down when benji missed that kick. after all the defence we had done another 2 tries seemed way out of reach, however one more try, its all square and who knows what happens.

the dogs would have hit panic stations at 12-6.

this wont go down as a game that goal kicking cost us, but it should.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:58 am

Its an issue.....it was a worry last year,his kicking has gone down from then.

Really cost us last night.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:27 am

Goalkicking has been a momentus problem for the Tigers since Hodgson left. I thought they could have given Lazarus a chance last night, he was on the field at the time. Benji HAS to hand the goalkicking job to someone else - could be the difference between achieving our GF ambitions come seasons end.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:44 am

The Stubborn coach has to make the decision and hand the kicking reins over to anyone that can kick better than 55%.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:58 am

What Benji want Benji get.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:01 pm

55% in this era is amazing. It's been years since any club has had a kicker under 70% (roughly)

55 is the stuff we saw in the 80's from front rowers who used to toe poke.

Benji no doubt will have the odd game where he kicks 5/6...........but he's going to miss a tonne of easy goals over the year and we can't afford it.

Jason Taylor is in his GK coaching...............and he looks much, much worse this season.

Maybe a new GK coach is needed?

Re Mitch Brown, is that legit that he can kick? I don't rate him as a player at all, but I'd play him ahead of Fitzy if he can kick 80%.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:20 pm

At this stage, Farah is a better option than Benji. Lazarus would be, by the stretch of the Flemington straight.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:22 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:55% in this era is amazing. It's been years since any club has had a kicker under 70% (roughly)

55 is the stuff we saw in the 80's from front rowers who used to toe poke.
Fifta is currently kicking at 100% for Western Suburbs Magpies....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:49 pm

tigersnumberone wrote:Its killing me. How the **** did he miss that kick last night? How the ****.
YEP!
STAND BACK OR SOMEONE WILL
GET HURT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Golden

Post by Golden » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 4:53 pm

well super coach should get Fitzy to kick goals Fitzy is the greatest player ever he should be able to handle it.. he better the any player that Sheens had at the raiders he would be the raiders 5/8 not Daley

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 6:13 pm

I think its an issue now, but does anyone know (a big ask I know) what Benji's goal kicking at the SFS is like compared to other places. Its a strange thing to say but I honestly think he struggles mostly with goal kicking at the SFS.

If Blake Lazarus does hit them better then maybe he should be given the job. I think they will need every point they can get in the Panthers game.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 9:46 pm

NJLM78 wrote:I think its an issue now, but does anyone know (a big ask I know) what Benji's goal kicking at the SFS is like compared to other places. Its a strange thing to say but I honestly think he struggles mostly with goal kicking at the SFS.

If Blake Lazarus does hit them better then maybe he should be given the job. I think they will need every point they can get in the Panthers game.
This year hes' 8/17 at SFS - 4 games
Hes 8/11 at canberra & NQ - 2 games

16/28 all up

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:07 pm

NJLM78 wrote: If Blake Lazarus does hit them better then maybe he should be given the job.
All sounds good in theory. But for mine, an ESTABLISHED 1st grader should be given the goalkicking duties at this point, one that does not have a history of ongoing repeated injuries who will likely be there week in week out, not a rookie who is trying to establish himself into cementing a first grade jersey who may be in and out of the squad for some time. This is soley due to the fact that WT NEED a longer term solution to an ONGOING issue.
At this point Lawrence would have to be the first candidate. I've watched him kick for a few years. He has a powerful strike of the boot but does miss a few. But in comparison, his strike rate i would be guessing was around about the 70% mark a few years back.
With some guided coaching, i'm sure he would be the type to excel and get his %'s up higher than that quite easily.
Or maybe some people should just keep wiggling their toes and and go "oink oink" more often to fix Benji's kicking...
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:23 pm

innsaneink wrote:
NJLM78 wrote:I think its an issue now, but does anyone know (a big ask I know) what Benji's goal kicking at the SFS is like compared to other places. Its a strange thing to say but I honestly think he struggles mostly with goal kicking at the SFS.

This year hes' 8/17 at SFS - 4 games
Hes 8/11 at canberra & NQ - 2 games

16/28 all up
Thanks. Thats actually worse than I thought for the SFS at not 50% this season.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 6:01 pm

Totally agree...12-6, only a converted try down would give us great confidence to come back like we had twice before. But, 8 points down means a converted try and another try or a penalty goal if your lucky.

Benji never really looked like kicking that, you could tell he just wanted to get it over and done with instead of kicking it with some rhythm.

I think its time to give Lazarus the kicking duties as he was the goal kicker for BRET and had quite a good kicking percentage as well I believe?
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

angeman

Post by angeman » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 7:14 pm

has to be a regular first grader. if lawrence can kick then give him a go