Percentage play v trick shots

cnx_tigers

Percentage play v trick shots

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 7:36 pm

When we click, we are better than Penrith. We are better than the Dogs. We are better than Saints. No one can really go with us when we 'click' and the passes stick.

However, our type of play doesn't win 'arm wrestle' footy.

I think everyone can see that after 5 years of losing these types of games. That game was there to be won tonight. A few repeat sets, a few sets of just hit ups and go forward, play it down in Penrith's half..........and we win.

Instead it's all inside balls, grubbers on the fourth, flick balls.

And tonnes of drop ball as a result.

At this stage, I don't know what we do from here. We are GREAT when it clicks.........but low percentage stuff normally equals missing the finals.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 7:38 pm

Robbie and Benji are lost without their little mate Timmy and think they are the players to do everything in the side.

It's not the trick plays that irk me as much as that pair or chuckleheads faffing around whilst our limited forwards stock burn themselves out with constant decoy runs

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 7:46 pm

can't score if you constanlty turn the ball over to the opponent.
don't give it to them easliy, make them earn it.
let the other players get involved more, and who knows what could be achieved.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 7:49 pm

Let me be the first to say that................we will beat the Roosters next week by 20.

They'll be coming off the ANZAC day game and will be a bit flat. Perfect game for our style. We'll put 30 + on them. Mark my words.

That won't hide the fact though that we still aren't winning the arm wrestle games. The "it's been even all night" with 15 mins to go type games.

We can come from 18 down or put 30 on someone.........but those games like tonight, we just don't win.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:24 pm

We made some poor, low percentage plays tonight. Marshall's flick to Lote tops the list. Gibbs's offload to no one wasn't far behind it.

angeman

Post by angeman » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:25 am

benji needs to rein in the flick passes. when it works it looks brilliant but for a team without a lot of ball, on the 0 (or 1st) tackle inside their own half we need to just hold it!

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 9:33 am

He needs to know when it 'isn't the time to do stuff. First / second tackle...............after not having the ball for 3 mins............that's not the time for low percentage stuff.

Everyone criticises our forwards, but those blokes suffer often due to Benji and Robbie's low % plays.

Last week v Canterbury, the forwards defended for 18 straight tackles..........we finally got the ball.....and Robbie grubber kicked for Benji on the first tackle.

The commentators went on with "only the wests tigers would do that!"........and, yeah, it's exciting footy.

But it meant the pack then had to tackle immediately again. No rest.

No wonder they are being run over in the last 20 mins of games. They are making 50-80 tackles a game more than the opposition pack some nights.