Willow's match report and player review

Vicious

Re: Willow's match report and player review

Post by Vicious » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:46 am

Some baffling position switches before kick off which clearly didn`t work. Our forwards didn`t hit hard enough or run hard enough to deserve a win, but Sheens surely has to take some of the blame for this loss. We have plenty of talent in the lower grades, surely some of them need to be given a chance ?

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks, as usual, Willow.

I really rate Penrith as serious Premiership contenders, I think they are the best team we have played so far in the comp. To only lose by 8 when we only had 43% of the possession is a good effort really. And two of their tries were from speculator kicks. What would the score have been if we'd had the 57% possession?
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks for the report willow as always your analysis is close to the mark

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:48 am

smeghead wrote:The key stumbling block in the Tigers attack was Farah and Marshall going sideways for 85% of time with the ball in hand. The forwards tried but in the end when they were given ball it was one out and they got belted.

Heighno is the only guy who can truly hold his head high after tonight for mine
I thought the same thing. Our two key players were ordinary.

Benji & Robbie need to get involved & win us games.

G. Strombolli

Post by G. Strombolli » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks Willow.

What an incredibly frustrating game. Even more frustrating is the fact that Moltzen's absence from the team has resulted in no less than three positional changes, four if we count Farah's occasional switch to halfback. Worse than that even, somebody got the idea into Sheens's head that Daniel Fitzhenry can play halfback.

Last night's game has left me nearly speechless and praying to whichever deity wants to listen for Lui to be fit and ready next week.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 9:27 am

No disrespect Willow, but do you even watch the games???? I know you get your stats off NRL.COM and often aren't at the games..........but that report is absolute rubbish.

Lazarus played FULLBACK in attack mate........to criticise him for not getting involved is a joke. Fitzhenry was in at first and second reciever all night, as was Robbie.

To say 'we played with 12' shows how little you know. Lazo's defense was excellent when called on and the poor bloke had NO opportunities in attack as he was basically never first or second reciever.

Watch the game before you slag a young kid who the coach crucified.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 9:40 am

Apologies if my comments appear harsh, but your comments on Lazarus are disgraceful.

To label one bloke "rubbish" and say we "played with 12" is pretty poor form. Anyone with any RL brain would have seen the young bloke wasn't to blame, defended as the last line well when needed and was shuffled all over the joing in attack. That one rests 100% with the coach. Not the kid.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 9:47 am

Good report.

Tim Sheens has ruined any chance of Blake Lazarus having a fairytale return to footy. I hope Lazarus goes to another club and plays 10 qaulity years at halfback. I like seeing young guys succeed and he clearly isnt going to at Wests, so hopefully he can do it elsewhwere.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 9:54 am

The really stupid thing is that Mulhaney is a better fullback than Lazo. If we are going to play a tiny fullback, it may as well be Mulhaney.

Lazo is a half back. He's played there all season for Balmain. To switch him to FB and wing all night just destroyed any chance he had to succeed last night. To hear Sheensy post game say 'we see him as a FB' is insane.

He 'sees' Lazo as a full back........he said before 'Moltzen is a fullback'........he said Benji was a half back......he's said all along Chris Lawrence is a 'five-eigth'.........just amazing stuff.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:16 am

cnx_tigers wrote:No disrespect Willow, but do you even watch the games???? I know you get your stats off NRL.COM and often aren't at the games..........but that report is absolute rubbish.

Lazarus played FULLBACK in attack mate........to criticise him for not getting involved is a joke. Fitzhenry was in at first and second reciever all night, as was Robbie.

To say 'we played with 12' shows how little you know. Lazo's defense was excellent when called on and the poor bloke had NO opportunities in attack as he was basically never first or second reciever.

Watch the game before you slag a young kid who the coach crucified.
Take the glasses off. I watched the entire game and Lazo was poor at fullback and offered nothing in attack.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:19 am

Willow thanks for a no holds bar report ..it has to be said as it is!

scarcev

Post by scarcev » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 12:35 pm

Im with Willow on this one Lazaru is not ready for NRL. He is there because of injury and shouldnt be there when others are fit. He looks out of place and the confidence he shows in the lower levels disappears when he gets to NRL. Not bagging the kid but at this stage in his career its a fact.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 4:20 pm

Player and team stats have been updated. Heighington was the only forward to make more than 100 metres in attack, Tuqiri the only back to make more than 100 metres in attack. It really shows the Tigers have to go back to basics and control the football and work on winning the possession.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 4:31 pm

3. Blake Ayshford – Very quiet tonight through no fault of his own, but the Tigers backline stuttered in a major way with Fizthenry playing second receiver on the right side. Ayshford received no ball as a result. 71 metres in attack and 14 tackles.
thanks for the report mate...top effort as always...

I thought Blake Asyford was pretty good in a beaten side? do you know how many runs he made for those 71 metres...I was sitting on Eastern side and had a pretty good view of him and he seemed to often break a tackle and seemed to go forward about 10 metres at a time....

I have to say to those critical of him for not looking for his winger...where correct....something he needs to work on for sure....never once looked to use his winger.....

Might wanna check Robbie's stats too 871mts,,,, :shock:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 4:43 pm

Geo. wrote:
3. Blake Ayshford – Very quiet tonight through no fault of his own, but the Tigers backline stuttered in a major way with Fizthenry playing second receiver on the right side. Ayshford received no ball as a result. 71 metres in attack and 14 tackles.
thanks for the report mate...top effort as always...

I thought Blake Asyford was pretty good in a beaten side? do you know how many runs he made for those 71 metres...I was sitting on Eastern side and had a pretty good view of him and he seemed to often break a tackle and seemed to go forward about 10 metres at a time....

I have to say to those critical of him for not looking for his winger...where correct....something he needs to work on for sure....never once looked to use his winger.....

Might wanna check Robbie's stats too 871mts,,,, :shock:
Fixed that little typo mate! I don't think Ayshford was bad, it's just that he received no service on his side of the field all night, it was run from dummyhalf or catch a cold basically. Sheens better make a couple of changes this week otherwise I fear it will be more of the same for the Tigers.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 5:14 pm

Finished watching it again.

Farah had three decent moments, he was an absolute passenger in the defensive line though. Barely halted any players momentum all night and metres were made through him all night.

Our entire spine offered sweet FA and as I suspected our forwards wasted any juice they had left from defence running decoys for someone to faff around or run across field.

Gibbs had a bad night at the office but I maintain if we had a proper bench and rotation his fatigue factor would be much lower leading to less errors.

Fulton and Flanagan should not be in the same side when we play teams with a decent sized pack

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:16 pm

well i though Lazarus went well at the back
the wrap around with lote was great and penrith were not prepared for that and Lazarus almost got through
saved a few tries to and was good under the high ball

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:48 pm

Beau Ryan has excelled at fullback. Lazarus has had his struggles at halfback. So he has moved Fitzhenry and into halfback and shifted Lazarus to fullback and Beau Ryan to the wing. It defies belief. Get Ryan back to fullback. Bugger Fitzy off for Brown or Danilella and use the spot on the bench on someone who will make an impact. I'ld have Taumata at halfback. At least he is a very dangerous winner. If he isn't fit, keep Lazarus there and simplify his job.