Sheens' sportsmanship?

innsaneink

Sheens' sportsmanship?

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:24 pm

Nine news showed a snippet of Sheens press conf last night, when asked about Penrith and their chances he replied: "They should enjoy their time at the top while it lasts"

Speaking from experience perhaps?

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:51 pm

probably was speaking from experince.
not alot lasts forever
wests-tigers started well, and have now stumbled a bit.
you could read a bit into that: maybe he was referring to the fact thats its almost 1/3 way during season & still long way to go, and their is a chance they will slip down, and will see where they are on the ladder after the rep season.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:01 pm

Still early in the season, injuries can strike anytime and Penrith are scoring a lot of tries from the boot of Walsh at the moment...Two tries came from his boot against the Tigers, if he gets injured in the first half, well it puts a whole new perspective on the match.

Sheens was livid with the Tigers forward pack though (Heighno excluded).

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:05 pm

He was referring to the fact that they have a 100% squad to choose from also.

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:19 pm

innsaneink wrote:Nine news showed a snippet of Sheens press conf last night, when asked about Penrith and their chances he replied: "They should enjoy their time at the top while it lasts"

Well they arent going to enjoy it when we knock them out of the finals week one :righton:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 9:27 pm

Granto87 wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Nine news showed a snippet of Sheens press conf last night, when asked about Penrith and their chances he replied: "They should enjoy their time at the top while it lasts"

Well they arent going to enjoy it when we knock them out of the finals week one :righton:
Well he just made that task - shoukld it eventuate - a tiny bit more harder for us with that comment...onya supercoach

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:29 am

Is it bad sportsmanship? Maybe. Is he correct? Totally.

Penrith are nothing. Score so many tries off Walsh's boot because they barely look like scoring in the first 4 tackles. Can't believe they are as short as they are for the premiership, they're not a hope in hell.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 6:00 am

I actually think the are very real contenders this year. But Sheens was just saying that being at the top doesn't last for anyone - only takes a couple of injuries - look at us.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:42 am

Not sure what Matt Elliott would say if he heard that comment but i would imagine he'd agree wholeheartedly really. That was week 7, a lot can happen yet.

Student of the game

Post by Student of the game » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm

Don't read too much into it.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:09 pm

Having watched most of that Penrith match on Bigpond, I have to say that the Tigers did look pretty ordinary, both teams made plenty of errors in the 2nd half. Three players stood out, Heighington-Farah-Tuqiri, however I now believe that Fitzhenry was not that bad -Lazarus needs a lot more work. As for Sheen's sportsmanship, I suppose he can say what he likes, and it's true all teams can have their day on top, we would like our team to be there, but they have a lot of improving to do before that will happen. Sorry I got off the subject guys !

TheSunTanSuperman

Post by TheSunTanSuperman » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:19 pm

Shut up you moaning old wind bag.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:33 pm

tigeress wrote:however I now believe that Fitzhenry was not that bad -Lazarus needs a lot more work.
No he wasn't. He has done an outstanding job plugging key positions this season so far.
But one thing that this game shows me is, WT still have a serious halfback issue which wont fix itself overnight.
Players in the 7 jersey playing second fiddle to Marshall is just not going to work.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:47 pm

TheSunTanSuperman wrote:

Shut up you moaning old wind bag.
LOL...err, no.

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:54 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:
tigeress wrote:however I now believe that Fitzhenry was not that bad -Lazarus needs a lot more work.
No he wasn't. He has done an outstanding job plugging key positions this season so far.
But one thing that this game shows me is, WT still have a serious halfback issue which wont fix itself overnight.
Players in the 7 jersey playing second fiddle to Marshall is just not going to work.
Name one team inthe comp that can replace it's halfback with like for like? We have cover ok they need first grade experience but they are now getting it which they will better for in the future. Our first choice 7 is due back from injury and we have given others a chance to get a run out. Ok we lost 2 games but if you think this is anything to do with our 7 you don't know League.

There are too many armchair coaches who think they know what they are takling about more than a 4 times Premiership coach. Give Sheens a break move on to Sunday and cheer yuor team on.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:07 pm

IronTiger wrote:
crouching_tiger wrote:
Name one team inthe comp that can replace it's halfback with like for like? We have cover ok they need first grade experience but they are now getting it which they will better for in the future. Our first choice 7 is due back from injury and we have given others a chance to get a run out. Ok we lost 2 games but if you think this is anything to do with our 7 you don't know League.

There are too many armchair coaches who think they know what they are takling about more than a 4 times Premiership coach. Give Sheens a break move on to Sunday and cheer yuor team on.
Name one team inthe comp that can replace it's halfback with like for like?
Roosters - Carney
Bulldogs - Barba
Cowboys - Thompson
There you go i will give you three teams..

How about you name another NRL team who has used 4 halfbacks in the first 7 weeks.. but yeah you seem to know more about me than you do yourself.. :lol:
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:56 pm

Dragons...Fein.

I agree CT, you are right. Do you think Taumata ahould be given a crack?
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 3:05 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:Dragons...Fein.

I agree CT, you are right. Do you think Taumata ahould be given a crack?
Not yet. Not until Lazarus is backed in by his coach on his own abilities. Hiding Lazarus on the wing is a clear sign to me that he is playing Lazarus as a defensive liability. Also the shuffle of Fitzy into the halves was a sign of Sheens having lack of faith in Blake's inexperience.
I think he should give the kid freedom of his own natural game and make a true assessment from that point.
Taumata has an erratic game which is great IMO, but not a good pairing with a player such as Marshall who has a flambouyant nature to his attack. Halves are still lacking much needed stability from what i've seen this year.