Goal line defence

TIGER

Goal line defence

Post by TIGER » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:40 pm

Just watched replays of all tries conceded and our goal line defence continues to leak points every week it's really really bad to the point when teams get down there you just close your eyes and wait for the whistle.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:50 pm

One question when any team scores from close range doesn't the other teams goal line defense suck?.....

Simple solution hold the ball don't give away stupid penalties and there wont be that much of a problem....

Oh are you refering to the Penriff game or the Dogs game or the Roosters game?

How was the defense in the Manly game the Parramatta game the Cowboys game or the Raiders game?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:40 am

Geo. wrote:One question when any team scores from close range doesn't the other teams goal line defense suck?.....

Simple solution hold the ball don't give away stupid penalties and there wont be that much of a problem....

Oh are you refering to the Penriff game or the Dogs game or the Roosters game?

How was the defense in the Manly game the Parramatta game the Cowboys game or the Raiders game?
It was pretty ordinary in the Manly game in the first half if you remember George Rose and a few others strolling over from close range, I think we conceded 20 pts in about 15 minutes, same with Canberra in the first half but I agree and know what you mean.

I think I said it in a previous thread but our defence has been good for long periods.

Rd 1 vs Manly: 2nd half = 0 points
Rd 3 vs Parra: 1st half = 0 points
Rd 4 vs Canberra: 2nd half: 0 points
Rd 5 vs Cowboys: 1st half = 2 points
Rd 6 vs Bulldogs: 1st half: 6 points (From a kick)

Thats 5 halves (2.5 games) of footy where we've conceded just one try and 8 pts which = 1.6 pts per half

Compare that to the other 9 halves (4.5 games) where we have conceded 158 pts which = 17.56 pts per half
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 10:59 am

Three questions i asked earlier in the season after our second trial match.
1. Do our forwards struggle to get out of our own danger zone?
2. Has our general kicking game improved at all?
3. Has our on line defence improved?
I wanted to know these things to see if in fact this team had improved and right now i don't think they have in any of the three.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:35 am

nah, I think our goal line defence was reasonable on Saturday. It was just their quick play the balls and darts out of dummy half from the likes of Kingston, Jennings etc. which left them on our 30 with a kick in tact. We actually held them out a number of times there on our own line.

Penrith didn't pull out any magic tricks on Saturday night, they were just solid in both attack and defence, compared to us being sloppy in both those departments.

TBH, our goal line defence is alot better now than it was this time last year which is a positive. You can't take away the defensive efforts we showed against the cowboys and the bulldogs in the first half, compared to our defence against Penrith last year up at CUA and the Roosters game last year in round 3 which (despite our lacklustre defence) still won the game.

But if we just keep the ball in hand and stop trying to throw the miracle pass hence Marshall's dumb flick pass and just make around 40-50 metres per set, the results will come.

likewise in defence, if we only allow them to make around 40 metres a set, we should be fine against any team in this comp.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:39 am

I thought our goal line defense was reasonable too. Consider the fact the panthers had i think it was 58% of the field position inside our own half. To only concede four tries is not a bad effort. Sadly those sort of numbers have been consistent for our opponents in quite a few games and it's hurt us this past 2 weeks.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:43 am

Have a look at the Jennings and Lewis tries and tell me it's good goal line defence.
Last edited by TIGER on Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:50 am

Your right it was crap....The Jennings one especially by noted defenders as well....Heighington, Fulton, Marshall, Lawence and poor old Lazzo.....

But put into persective if you watched the Dogs, Cows, Parra, Manly games were won on our defense this year....

Compare that to the start of last year where we conceeding 32 pts per game and I believe the defence has improved....now if we can just hold the god damn football the pethetic disjointed attack of the past 2 weeks will as well....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:54 am

TIGER wrote:Hve a look at the Jennings and Lewis try and tell me it's good goal line defence.
Your talking about two moments out of about 20 odd attacking raids on our line. On the Jennings try Heighington lost his balance and Jennings slipped right through where he fell. On the Lewis try though, no argument there. It was a poor try to concede. Consider the fact too that after making nearly 100 more tackles than the panthers we made nearly identical counts of missed tackles. That shows a sign of good defence but also good scramble.

Honestly though for the the amount of defending we've done this season, roosters game aside it's been impressive. i can count 4 games (Manly, Cowboys, Canterbury and Penrith) where in past seasons we may've seen 40-50 points put on us through the sheer weight of possession our opposition had on our line.