Benji at halfback again tonight

Geo.

Re: Benji at halfback again tonight

Post by Geo. » Fri 21 May, 2010 10:23 pm

innsaneink wrote:
tiger05 wrote:
innsaneink wrote:They were going off the entire season re marshall, not just tonite
That is my point. In the situation tonight I think Marshall in tight was what we needed. Hopefully he will be able to rove around more if Lui becomes more dangerous.
Theyve all been all over the place all year....but conditions tonite werent really suited for benjis traditional game, it was an arm wrestle and we played the conditions well
Agreed...when he stopped the no look passes(intercept twice) and played with maturity he was much better....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 21 May, 2010 11:16 pm

If anyone actually watches how Marshall has been playing lately (not getting involved) it's obvious that he had strict instruction to get his hands on the ball tonight. I could tell from his first 2 touches where he actually run the ball i think twice in one set. I think he actually got too involved at stages calling the ball on the left and right of the ruck play after play but achieving not much and actually putting pressure on himself and coming up with errors. At least he had a decent crack tonight but it always seems to take some sort of public bashing for him to have a go, hope he keeps it up though. Lui played first receiver pretty much all second half and he went real well i thought.

izotope

Post by izotope » Fri 21 May, 2010 11:57 pm

i like it, i think its fantastic.
We should always start benji at 7 and switch with Lui aboot 20mins or so into the game (depending how we are going of course)

When benji gets a few hit ups earlier and gets more involved.. he plays alot better for the rest of the game.
tigers!

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 22 May, 2010 12:57 am

He had a dig tonight but boy does Benji s*** me to tears.

IMO his biggest problem is that he doesn't know how to play when we are in front.

When we are in front by 4 with 20 to go in torrential rain, you do NOT:

- Kick the ball on the second tackle
- Push a low percentage blind side play on the second tackle after a 60 metre break, against a broken and backpedalling defensive line
- Push hospital passes time and time again

Honestly, how hard is it to pass it to your forwards, take a few dummy half runs and kick into the corners. We do not need to try and push plays to score points in these situations.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 22 May, 2010 1:50 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
- Kick the ball on the second tackle

that kills me the most every game.
i would love the whole forward pack to sit down with him and explain there are some things a half can do that can actually help out his forwards.
the first is retain possession and if possible get repeat sets.

i was furious in the roosters game when we defended a bunch of sets on our line and weathered the storm,then make a break and then benji kicks on the 2nd tackle.
the forwards right then needed their playmaker to simply control the ball and allow them to get back on equal footing as their opponent.

benji will be great when he learns how to soften up a team instead of his own.
i know the coach says play what you see,but a little common sense would go a long way.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sat 22 May, 2010 1:52 am

If Sheens persists to play Benji as 1st receiver with his one half each side of the ruck, not much will change. His two man lay off to a straighter running backrower is all he can produce as a running half at first receiver, as he does not have the depth/room to create anything with his crossfield running style.
If Sheens wants to continue using this one half each side of the ruck and get the best out of Marshall, he needs to introduce a link man who will give Benji the room.

Farah(dummy half) --->LINK PLAYER(1st receiver) --->Marshall(2nd receiver)

Benji made a statement tonight by running at the line which was great to see. Something he has not done in a long, long time. Since last year. Pleased to see him know what he needs to do to improve his game.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 22 May, 2010 9:42 am

Benji made some poor calls again not good enough and common sence is a word that could be used a bit more at Camp concord.

izotope

Post by izotope » Sat 22 May, 2010 11:34 am

crouching_tiger wrote:If Sheens persists to play Benji as 1st receiver with his one half each side of the ruck, not much will change. His two man lay off to a straighter running backrower is all he can produce as a running half at first receiver, as he does not have the depth/room to create anything with his crossfield running style.
If Sheens wants to continue using this one half each side of the ruck and get the best out of Marshall, he needs to introduce a link man who will give Benji the room.

Benji made a statement tonight by running at the line which was great to see. Something he has not done in a long, long time. Since last year. Pleased to see him know what he needs to do to improve his game.
that is the most important thing.. at least if he starts running the line he might make some breaks create some opportunities to counter the dumb things he does..

seriously.. i don't know if he will ever stop the dumb things.. just hope he does more good then dumb LOL
tigers!

scarcev

Post by scarcev » Sat 22 May, 2010 11:40 am

Yea I must be watching different games than some of you blokes. Sure Marshall defended well and ran the ball more which was great to see (well he had to after making 13m in attack last week), but his passing game was awful, he threw two intercepts, two grounders, took some poor options on early tackles, his kicking games was average at best (why we can only kick a dropout and kick off 30m with a gale behind us is beyond me!). I know the conditions were terrible but a wobbly drop goal and a late try running into a gap as big as Sydney heads to me doesnt make up for the other rubbish served up by your highest paid player. I just dont get how people can suggest he had an average game let alone a great one.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 22 May, 2010 1:37 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:If Sheens persists to play Benji as 1st receiver with his one half each side of the ruck, not much will change. His two man lay off to a straighter running backrower is all he can produce as a running half at first receiver, as he does not have the depth/room to create anything with his crossfield running style.

Did you think that up all by yourself....

Brilliant....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Sat 22 May, 2010 2:46 pm

When Gus & Sterlo say he needs to play two wide, I'll take their word for it. Even Benji admitted after the game that he needed to do more running.