Your Team For Next Week V Dragons...

Spartan117

Re: Your Team For Next Week V Dragons...

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:47 am

100% Geo - Sorry Flanno and Daniella
UTT - Up The Tigers

alex

Post by alex » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:06 am

Lots of the media say we can't grind out a win. Well, we did against the Knights, Bulldogs and Raiders.

The same team we went in with against the Raiders are very strong defensively .. the Dragons play a very well structured, methodic type game. I'd have no hesitation in picking the same 17 or bringing Fifita back in place of Flanagan.

everett

Post by everett » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:37 pm

I agree with most people's comments. I think Flanagan has played very well for us but now we have players back from injury I can't find a place for him in the top 17 unless Sheens drops Fitzhenry which we all know is not going to happen even more so due to his sensation 15 mins against the Raiders. In a perfect world I would like to see Daniele on the bench instead of Fitzhenry and use Daniele as a strike weapon against tired forwards. A bit like the role Ben Barba plays for the Doggies. My bench would be Fifita, Moors, Dwyer and Daniela. Galloway to start in the front row and Payten to second row.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

willow

Post by willow » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 1:22 pm

everett wrote:I agree with most people's comments. I think Flanagan has played very well for us but now we have players back from injury I can't find a place for him in the top 17 unless Sheens drops Fitzhenry which we all know is not going to happen even more so due to his sensation 15 mins against the Raiders. In a perfect world I would like to see Daniele on the bench instead of Fitzhenry and use Daniele as a strike weapon against tired forwards. A bit like the role Ben Barba plays for the Doggies. My bench would be Fifita, Moors, Dwyer and Daniela. Galloway to start in the front row and Payten to second row.
Daniela is not that type of player though. If Arana Taumata was up to FG and not leaving for the Cowboys, he'd be one to offer the great broken field play that Barba does.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 2:59 pm

willow wrote:I'd like an explanation from CT in regards to his team selected, he'll have his reasons for his selections and I'd like to hear them.
Well Willow, I have opted for size and experience in the 3/4 line to combat the Dragons and Soward's kicking game.
Ryan has either been instructed by his coach to swing the kick returns infield or to pass them to another player instead of hitting the line without self preservation like he did during his first two weeks at fullback earlier this year. He has getting belted in recent weeks. Watch closely.
Brown has exceptional upper body strength but has not been able to back his own ability to use it this season so far. With a shot in the centres as opposed to a wing option he may get this chance. His defence at centre may be questionable, but he should be able to hold his own. Ellis can also cover any inefficiencies by playing at lock.
Ayshford is the one who lacks 1st grade experience, but is improving with each game to aim up and become the player he was destined to become. With Lawrence and FItzhenry on the flanks, this should be a good combination for them both to take the early hit ups and move the ball infield then retreating back onto their wings and wait for backline movements. Fitzy and Rowdy are both safe under the high ball, and know the lines to run inside if necessary.
Tuqiri at the back, i think it will suit his gameplay much more than this entire season has shown with him out on the wing.
With the bench i have gone for an extremely high impact with the rotation of Moops and Galloway. They both worked well in the interchange last weekend with Keith actually charging the line in defence with plenty of juice in his tank. This rotation is a key contributing factor what kept the WT in contention for 80mins at Leichhardt for a late surge. And against the Dragons and the way they've been playing this year, this to me is what is needed to avoid panic within the WT playmakers.
The forward pack speaks for itself with agressive size and with Gower and his fantastic offload and ability to play through the line.
Nicholls with his accurate kicking game could be the answer WT have been looking for. Worth giving the kid a shot first up to see if he's up to it against the competition front runners. He has shown me that he has stepped up to State Cup level with absolute ease and might just have the makings of a brilliant half who isn't afraid to take control over senior players.

But i guesss that's enough happy gas from me, otherwise you can go read other dribble here with mister tuff stickers..

forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3950&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:
willow wrote:I'd like an explanation from CT in regards to his team selected, he'll have his reasons for his selections and I'd like to hear them.
Well Willow, I have opted for size and experience in the 3/4 line to combat the Dragons and Soward's kicking game.
Ryan has either been instructed by his coach to swing the kick returns infield or to pass them to another player instead of hitting the line without self preservation like he did during his first two weeks at fullback earlier this year. He has getting belted in recent weeks. Watch closely.
Brown has exceptional upper body strength but has not been able to back his own ability to use it this season so far. With a shot in the centres as opposed to a wing option he may get this chance. His defence at centre may be questionable, but he should be able to hold his own. Ellis can also cover any inefficiencies by playing at lock.
Ayshford is the one who lacks 1st grade experience, but is improving with each game to aim up and become the player he was destined to become. With Lawrence and FItzhenry on the flanks, this should be a good combination for them both to take the early hit ups and move the ball infield then retreating back onto their wings and wait for backline movements. Fitzy and Rowdy are both safe under the high ball, and know the lines to run inside if necessary.
Tuqiri at the back, i think it will suit his gameplay much more than this entire season has shown with him out on the wing.
With the bench i have gone for an extremely high impact with the rotation of Moops and Galloway. They both worked well in the interchange last weekend with Keith actually charging the line in defence with plenty of juice in his tank. This rotation is a key contributing factor what kept the WT in contention for 80mins at Leichhardt for a late surge. And against the Dragons and the way they've been playing this year, this to me is what is needed to avoid panic within the WT playmakers.
The forward pack speaks for itself with agressive size and with Gower and his fantastic offload and ability to play through the line.
Nicholls with his accurate kicking game could be the answer WT have been looking for. Worth giving the kid a shot first up to see if he's up to it against the competition front runners. He has shown me that he has stepped up to State Cup level with absolute ease and might just have the makings of a brilliant half who isn't afraid to take control over senior players.

But i guesss that's enough happy gas from me, otherwise you can go read other dribble here with mister tuff stickers..

forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3950&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you think Willow?
Daniella is a big enough centre? Ryan not getting belted? 3/4 line is okay at the moment?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

willow

Post by willow » Sat 26 Jun, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm in agreement with you on that CT. Last night showed Daniela up defensively and I noticed Ryan coming in off his wing on more than one occasion to help Daniela defend against larger players running wide at him. There's no dramas with the Tigers left side in Lawrence and Tuqiri as they are both big, quick, can tackle and generally read the play well, it's the right side which tends to struggle to find consistency. It always looks a lot more stable with Ayshford and Ryan, but that wasn't the case last night due to the positional changes.

I like Daniela's footwork and speed, but he's got to be put into a hole for him to use that effectively, he's not the type of player to create a hole himself to go through. Plus the Dragons had the opportunity to run at 2 blokes who weigh no more than 85kg each so they were obvious targets for the Dragons to exploit. Brown offers a definite size advantage as you say, but it seems he has dropped off Sheens radar for now. Are there any other centres who can do the job effectively in FG?

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sat 26 Jun, 2010 2:53 pm

willow wrote:I'm in agreement with you on that CT. Last night showed Daniela up defensively and I noticed Ryan coming in off his wing on more than one occasion to help Daniela defend against larger players running wide at him. There's no dramas with the Tigers left side in Lawrence and Tuqiri as they are both big, quick, can tackle and generally read the play well, it's the right side which tends to struggle to find consistency. It always looks a lot more stable with Ayshford and Ryan, but that wasn't the case last night due to the positional changes.

I like Daniela's footwork and speed, but he's got to be put into a hole for him to use that effectively, he's not the type of player to create a hole himself to go through. Plus the Dragons had the opportunity to run at 2 blokes who weigh no more than 85kg each so they were obvious targets for the Dragons to exploit. Brown offers a definite size advantage as you say, but it seems he has dropped off Sheens radar for now. Are there any other centres who can do the job effectively in FG?
There are plenty of options.
That's why my personal selections ACT in FOREsight into up and coming matches and not a REACTion in HINDsight for up and coming matches.
But finding the correct combination is the key. Many around here just simply throw any names into their mix without even thinking how this will affect the team as a whole.

Daniella is simply too small. Ryan ain't much bigger, neither is Fitzhenry. Ayshford is young, lacking, still a rookie, and still growing. WT hide Marshall 2-3 in in the defensive line. This is a combination of 5 players who may get steamrolled by bigger tougher opponents out wide. Boyd ain't a giant either, but the difference between Boyd and and any of the WT players i mentioned is, he always runs at the line without self preservation. THIS is the key to NRL standard.
Out of those 5 i mentioned, Fitzhenry is the only one hitting the line without fear. That in itself comes from experience and a player knowing how hard the impact is to be expected at this level. This is why he is almost ALWAYS stunned when he cops high and hard hits.
Ryan has shown the ability to hit the line with everything he's got, but he's been "Sheenz'd". Poor bloke doesn't know if he's Arthur or Martha these days and is getting hammered out on the wing and at fullback. Cnetre has ALWAYS been his best position.
As you mention you have no dramas with the left hand attack. So do you not think Lawrence is continually squeezing Tuqiri out of space in attack? Lote has been magnificent to work with the limited space he has been given, which then in turn sees him being forced to pull out his rugby union trademark skill and drop the ball on the toe. This also comes from Tuqiri being older than his opposing marker and using this to his advantage for a slight lack of speed.
Many may see this a winning formula, but it can be improved to produce a more effective result. I would find it very hard for anyone to claim much negativity towards those two players defensively.
The club has MANY options to fix their problems in the 3/4 line, but politics will always win in the end.
Players such as Tupou, Davis, Akeripa, Pritchard, Brown, Mataka, Lane could ALL provide size, speed and tight defence out wide at the top level. I understand there is a massive step up in grade, but to slowly blood players against the correct opposition with the correct combinations and experience levels is what's needed for continuity and success.

Now here is a quote out of hindsight Willow..
Plus the Dragons had the opportunity to run at 2 blokes who weigh no more than 85kg each so they were obvious targets for the Dragons to exploit.
Sheens left the door wide open with a public invitation for the Tigers to get pumped out wide last night.