Injuries for the Dragons game

Luke

Re: Injuries for the Dragons game

Post by Luke » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:23 pm

Farah in doubt

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah is in doubt for Friday's clash against St George Illawarra as he continues to battle a shin injury suffered last weekend.

Farah, who sat out his side's final training run on Thursday morning, will be given until kick-off to prove his fitness ahead of the top-of-the-table clash.

The captain's injury woes are a major concern for the Tigers who have already lost half-back Robert Lui to a knee injury.

Full-back Wade McKinnon is also no certainty to play with a back complaint that forced him from the field midway through the second half of the win over Canberra.

Farah, who could play his way into a NSW jumper for Origin III with a strong performance against the Dragons, made no mention of his injury issue during his weekly press conference.

But assistant coach Royce Simmons confirmed the skipper is no certainty to play.

"Robbie hurt his leg last week and battled on with it in the second half," Simmons said at Concord Oval.

"He got treatment at half-time. It's a bruised shin and he'd prefer not to train today but we're hoping he'll be right for tomorrow."

"It's a big blow and we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if he's going to play, and Wade McKinnon is another player that's going to try to train, but in all crucial positions we're struggling a bit."

"It's a bit of a worry when we look across and see Rob Lui and Timmy Moltzen - two of our halves - training with the injured group, and they certainly won't play."

Asked to rate Farah's chances of taking the field for the Round 16 blockbuster, a hopeful Simmons replied: "He won't want to miss it and he'll do his best to play tomorrow. I mean it's probably more precautionary."

Meanwhile, Simmons was coy when pressed on who would wear the No.7 jumper against the Dragons but revealed Benji Marshall is most likely to assume the key role.

"Well at this stage we'll probably just move everyone in one (position)," he said.

"One of the centres will maybe go to five-eighth or maybe go to half-back - we'll play around with that a little bit. We know but I don't have to tell you blokes."

Simmons ruled out shifting Farah to half-back in the event that he plays and confirmed young gun Blake Lazarus won't be considered.

"I think when you take away Robbie Farah out of hooker people straight away start putting pressure on your halves," he explained.

"When you're playing against us your first thing's got to be dealing with Robbie Farah out of dummy half, so if you take him out of dummy half a lot of pressure then goes onto him at half or whoever is at half."

"Blake we think probably needs some more footy yet. He's a young bloke and he hasn't played any football for two years prior to this year, so he still needs a bit more experience in that area yet we think."

The Tigers enter the clash in third place on the NRL ladder on the back of four consecutive victories.

But Farah admits his side will have a much better idea of where it stands in the premiership pecking order following its visit to Kogarah.

"Obviously it's been a pretty decent last month for us but we know that we need to improve to go toe-to-toe with the Dragons," Farah said.

"Obviously they're the benchmark of the comp and it's going to be a real good challenge to see where we are at this point in time."

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-displ ... 699/page/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:34 pm

robbie really won't want to miss this one, i think he will play. Move Benji into 7, Ayshford in 6 and Daniella in the centres.

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:38 pm

Hmmmmm.

Ayshford to 5/8th it seems. Wouldn't be Lawrence since he is fighting for an origin centre spot.

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:42 pm

wouldnt be surprised if lawrence plays a 5/8 role....

though i think with all the injuries our backline will look something like this..

1. ryan
2. tuqiri
3. daniela
4. lawrence
5. fitzhenry
7. ayshford
6. marshall

9 farah

farah will play i think, he is a tough nut

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:44 pm

I am glad to read that they are giving Blake more time after such a long lay off

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:46 pm

smeghead wrote:I am glad to read that they are giving Blake more time after such a long lay off
lui isnt a dominating halfback...do you think ayshford will be able to play the same role?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:51 pm

Ayshford will play as blind side half otherwise running 5/8 on the open

PS: Was talking about Simmons comments on Lazarus

willow

Post by willow » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 4:09 pm

Yep, Ayshford to 6 and Daniela to come in. Fitzy to fullback if McKinnon is out and I reckon Rhys Pritchard might get a call up on the bench as the back utility.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 4:49 pm

willow wrote:Yep, Ayshford to 6 and Daniela to come in. Fitzy to fullback if McKinnon is out and I reckon Rhys Pritchard might get a call up on the bench as the back utility.
So you think it might be Pritchards turn to get his mellon on the TV for a minute or two??? What did Brown do what was ever wrong. Thought he was very strong against the Dogs and has been vanished ever since

willow

Post by willow » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 5:16 pm

supercoach wrote:
willow wrote:Yep, Ayshford to 6 and Daniela to come in. Fitzy to fullback if McKinnon is out and I reckon Rhys Pritchard might get a call up on the bench as the back utility.
So you think it might be Pritchards turn to get his mellon on the TV for a minute or two??? What did Brown do what was ever wrong. Thought he was very strong against the Dogs and has been vanished ever since
Brown hasn't really done anything wrong with the very limited opportunities he has been given, but he hasn't been named for Balmain this week and Pritchard has been playing at 6, 1, 3 and 2 for Wests, so he's got utility value and has been a regular tryscorer and in good form for Wests...If Sheens does call up a back utility to replace Fitzy, I reckon Pritchard will be it.

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 5:33 pm

there was an article on the tigers home page which stated "lui is out but who will play half". when i clicked on the link it said no records found...

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 5:36 pm

Robbie Farah claims it won’t be him and Royce Simmons remains cagey as ever as to who will replace Rob Lui at half-back for tomorrow night’s blockbuster against St George-Illawarra Dragons.

Lui will miss the match at WIN Jubilee Oval due to a knee injury picked up in the win over Canberra at Leichhardt Oval last Sunday. Doubts remain over captain and inspirational hooker Robbie Farah who didn’t train today.

The good news for Wests Tigers is full-back Wade McKinnon and lock Chris Heighington will be right to play.

Prior to the team’s final training run, Farah was giving little away as to who will pull on the number seven jersey. Even the media didn’t know of his injury.

“I haven’t been asked. The coach didn’t ask me,’’ Farah stated.

“In the past I have been asked and I have been more than happy to do the job but he hasn’t asked me this time.

“It is going to be a big game. We know we need to improve to go toe to toe with the Dragons.

“They are the benchmark of the competition and it is going to be a really good challenge for us to see where we are at.”

Simmons said it was a concern to see regular halves Lui and Tim Moltzen in rehab training. Knowing the final make up of the team doesn’t have to be declared until an hour before kick-off under NRL rules, the respected assistant coach was very coy with the media.

“At this stage, we will probably just move everyone in one. One of the centres might go to five-eighth or maybe go to half-back. We will play around with that a little bit. We know but we don’t have to tell you,’’ Simmons stated.

“Robbie Farah hurt his leg last week and battled on with it in the second half. He got treatment on it at half-time. It is a bruise down on the shin.
He prefers not to train today but we are hoping he will be right for tomorrow.

“Robbie won’t want to miss this game and he will do his best to play tomorrow. Rob Lui certainly won’t play."

Asked if Farah was fit, would the coaching staff consider playing him at seven as in previous seasons when called upon or was that experiment finished?

“When you take away Robbie Farah from hooker, people straight away start putting pressure on your halves,’’ Simmons explained.

“When you are playing against us, the first thing you have to deal with is Robbie Farah out of dummy half. When you take him out of dummy half, a lot of pressure goes on him at half or whoever else is at half.”

With Lui ruled out and Farah remaining at hooker, Simmons was asked would Blake Lazarus be considered after playing two NRL matches this season.

“No, Blake needs some more footy yet. He is a young bloke. He hasn’t played any football for two years prior to this year so he still needs a bit more experience in that area.”

Simmons said the Dragons were the measuring stick of the NRL premiership and the players were looking forward to the challenge in front of what should be a capacity crowd.

“You know what they are going to do but you still have to stop it,’’ Simmons said.

“They don’t make too many mistakes, their kicking game is fantastic and you have got to be very patient. That is something we will have to be against them, very patient.

“The Dragons are very patient. They will wait until the 78th minute to beat you. Our problem has been that we like to try and score tries early.

“Gradually over the last four weeks, we have learnt to grind out some wins. It was a grinding win against Newcastle, it was a grinding win last week, so we are getting better in that area ourselves.

“If you are going to beat St George, you have got to be patient, you have to stay in the game for the full 80 minutes.

“Every tackle, you have to be on the job. The minute you drop off, they are ready to take advantage.

“It is a really good time for us to see how we are going even though we are heading in with a few injuries.

“I wouldn’t have liked to play them about five weeks ago because we were not in good form. You don’t find form in one week, you gradually build back into form.

“You don’t lose form in a week and you don’t find it in a week. Gradually each week we are getting a little bit more confident, our defence has been tremendous over the last few weeks. It puts us into a good position to see how we are going.”

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 5:38 pm

Balmain Tiger wrote:there was an article on the tigers home page which stated "lui is out but who will play half". when i clicked on the link it said no records found...
Snoz wrote:Robert Lui not available they will have to do it without a halfback.
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 5:40 pm

looks like either ayshford or lawrence are going to make the move to the halves...im hoping its ayshford.

mckinnon seems to be right to go which is a + to some extent. not as much as + as rhino though

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:10 pm

After all these years we still have not learnt to replace a player who plays one position, with a player who plays the same position.

Now we will have a centre in the halves.

I don't get it, I really don't.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:11 pm

To be fair Ayshford played some 5/8 for us last year and it was his position for alot of junior football.

I see your point but it could have been worse

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:20 pm

True, but he has played centre 98% of the time in FG, and has played centre all year.

Just seems we never learn - we get an injury and shuffle everyone around, makes no sense to me. Could be worse I suppose, at least Daniella will slot straight in.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:24 pm

5/8th the least of our problems isn't it....

We have no hooker or fullback......

Farah out?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..