Robert Lui

TIGER

Re: Robert Lui

Post by TIGER » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 7:49 pm

Thought he was tough with the amount of d he did and our forwards gave him nothing so can't be too critical in attack.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 9:58 pm

Lui was very good today. Immense in defence. Lacked a bit in attack but working that hard in defence, I cannot be critical of him.

tigh

Post by tigh » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:07 pm

You can't knock his effort. For a 19/20 year old kid in his 9thr NRL game - he did good. Still has a hell of a lot to learn in attack and D - but I'm warming to him. He is as tough as nails.

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Spartan117 » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:39 pm

Lui didnt attack well today but he has really improved in his Defence.

Not just that great try saver today but he was going hard at those bigh Raiders. Wel Done.
UTT - Up The Tigers

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:43 pm

tigh wrote:You can't knock his effort. For a 19/20 year old kid in his 9thr NRL game - he did good. Still has a hell of a lot to learn in attack and D - but I'm warming to him. He is as tough as nails.
Agreed....some are way too harsh on the kid...

Saved a Try...

Put in 2 of the best long kicks...

The Chase was pretty bad....Canberra started a lot of sets from their 30/40m line....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

norm

Post by norm » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:52 pm

32 tackles is a lot of tackles for a halfback to make and still have petrol in the tank for attack, I thought he was ok behind a pack that was just holding their own.

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:35 pm

Very pleased with his performance, thought he defended strongly and had a very good passing game for the most. Also must remember that he looked to battle through injury for te most part of the match.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:38 am

tigh wrote:You can't knock his effort. For a 19/20 year old kid in his 9thr NRL game - he did good. Still has a hell of a lot to learn in attack and D - but I'm warming to him. He is as tough as nails.
Agree 100%. Bloke next to me on the hill thought Lui was 24. When I pointed out he could still be in the 20's he was more impressed with his efforts.

Still think he has a lot of talent for his age and will become a great NRL player in years to come. I believe the plan at the start of the season was for him not to play the entire year in the NRL side this year but with injury to Moltzen he will be there for the entire year.

Eye Of Wests Tigers

Post by Eye Of Wests Tigers » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:48 am

How can you knock the kid... he's 20 yrs old and has only played a handful of first grade games. How would yu feel having to boss around the likes of Marshall Farah and the forwards around. Its a tough job. give him some time he is the answer... but the question is what to do with Moltz?

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:56 am

he was targeted and he did just enough.
looked like he had a bad cork and struggled with it.

thought he did his hammy at the end when he pulled up for the no try and gave me a heart attack.

forwards were outplayed today and struggled for field position for alot of the game.
not the type of game you will see a classic halves game.
but he grinded the game out and at this young age these types of games are just as important for a players development.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 7:35 am

He is developing well put in a massive defensive effort yesterday

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 9:59 am

My biggest concern is if Lui wants to play half he needs to develop a kicking game. Benji is our 5/8 and with that what we need ina half is one who can give him space and havea kicking game. Our kicking ggame is disgracefull. We have teh best running game in the comp but if we had a kicking game wed be a team times better side. Look at e every other side in the comp, tghey score tries off kicks every game - we score 1 every 7 games (at best). We score enough great tries, if we couldmix that with the easy tries like off bombs and little grubbers wed be dynamite. Hell we even kick earlyi n the tackle count when the wnigers arent expecting it and it still goes dead. I kmow you shouldnt compare to 05 but in 05 whatuiria , benji and others would of scored a try a game off grubbers. We wouldnt of scored off a bomb all year.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:39 am

Like others have said, he is a few months out of unders 20's. Most kids are eased into the top grade off the bench or in a non decision making role. Lui was given the no7 jumper, a big ask for a rookie and has done a very good job. He will have the odd flat game thats to be expected

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:42 am

Actually thought Lui did ok yesterday.

I noticed he was doing alot more floating passing to the outside backs, long passes across the line, looked as though he was thinking alot more (probably too much) but they did create some opportunity. I think Lote and Lawrence had a shocker so those opportunities weren't capitalized.

I think the kid needs more confidence and step out of the shadow of Benji. He has footwork and needs to feel like he is not 'copying' but taking a stance of his own.

bradexl

Post by bradexl » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 1:40 pm

I am a big fan of young robbie. At 20 years old he has a great passing game, a better than average kicking game and his defence is improving with each game. He is able to break the line because of his strength and i would be very surprised if he isn't a superstar by the time he is 22.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 1:46 pm

Lets not overlook the effort in his try saver holding Thompson up over the line with assistance from Moors underneath.

A real display of determination

Poppa

Post by Poppa » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 1:52 pm

As I have said before Robert Lui is going to be a quality 1/2 back.Remember this: there is 2 kickers /playmakers in the side already and if you watch Robert Lui closely he seems a little hesitant to kick for fear of upsetting the playmakers.Personally I'd like to see him run more into the defence using his step at the line and have Heighno run off him as opposed to Heighno running off Benji,as I feel other clubs are awake to Heighno/Marshall and poor old Heighno is getting hit hard to soon and to often and the play dies there.Again I'd make Robert Lui more aware of Farrah running from dummy half and give better back up as I think Farrah need backup.Should I be the coach..No.Good armchair one though..However played a lot of footy in my time....Go Robert Lui and stay with West tigers......

:sign: :supporter:
Cheers Poppa

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 1:54 pm

tiger tigers wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:Very ordinary in attack today, pretty much non-existant, but his defence was excellent.
his defence was ordinary.... they attacked him all day and at times he was a turnstyle ... it was the help of the inside and outside that saved his day .....as for his attack .. he may as well have a centres jersey on his back

Which game were you watching???