The hooking of Fifita.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The hooking of Fifita.

Post by smeghead » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 10:01 am

Just a theory.

As Galloway was warming up he was yelling at his trainer as he had already told him to make the interchange (unless you have to you always make them with ball in hand) and his frustration spilled over. The call was likely made at least 5 minutes before to allow some warming up by Galloway. He must have seen the fatigue and wanted it done right now. It is not unreasonable to think that was Fifitas last hitup before coming off

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm

smeg, Sheens was seen screaming "Get him off" straight after that error.

A shame he doesn't apply this to his favourites.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah but what I am saying hybrid is that he yelled that at his trainer as he had wanted him replaced in the preceeding minutes. It makes sense considering Galloway was standing on the sideline with the card in the hand ready to roll.

More to do with frustration at his runners not enacting quick enough than slating Fifita from where I sit

Tiges05

Post by Tiges05 » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 1:03 pm

Smeg...your right...he was blowing up because he was trying to make the change and they were too slow getting him off...

Besides though...i actually don't mind him hooking players like that...it gives them a good kick up the b*m... I actually think its good to knock some of these young stars coming through down a notch every now and again. I bet next week he concentrates on his play the balls more!!!!

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 1:10 pm

I have to agree. I thought that was a VERY harsh call to hook Fifita off. I hope it just appeared that way and was not the actual reason for his subbing. Our ball control last night was atrocious and i actually thought Fifita had a real dig for us in that second half.

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 1:51 pm

Torbizlo wrote:Fifita went on after 15mins coz we had defended our back-sides off. he came on and defended from the get-go and still managed good meters. he should be the first one picked on our bench every week. when he comes on after the tigers have had a good start and an even share of posession, he destroys teams with that big "don't argue" fend. great player. great future.
I agree!!!!!!!!!

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 2:47 pm

I think Fifita was hooked..

For not sticking to instructions as opposed to dropping the ball..
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 3:11 pm

I love the way Fifita plays and he is currently showing more grunt than Galloway ATM IMHO

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 3:15 pm

ron burgandy wrote:i think it was an over-reaction by wally lewis...galloway was warming up before then...just a mere coincidence
I don't think sp Ron - Sheens was visibly furious - the swear words and then the " get him off " was not your normal forward rotation.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 3:17 pm

I wouldn't swap Fifita for any other young prop going around. He just needs to occasionally take a hard hit up and not necessarily look to fend or offload. Sometimes we just want the meters and to hurt the opposition.

I also noticed Dwyer a little lazy in defense in the second half. Missed a couple that should have been made. I am happy to put it down to fatigue and conditions.

Juro

Post by Juro » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 3:35 pm

Who wasn't swearing with all the simple errors made by the team yesterday?
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 3:54 pm

Hmmm....just wattchin it again....we should have got a penalty...

Hands all over Fifita...

Guess Dumb and Dumber didn't see it that way....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 4:18 pm

Tiges05 wrote:i actually don't mind him hooking players like that...it gives them a good kick up the b*m...!
Shame he didn't hook his love child when he gave the Broncos a try.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 4:29 pm

Just on Fifita, he's still only 20 or 21 years old now. Certainly his development over the last 18 months has been impressive but he still has a long way to go given his age. He will certainly benefit from another off-season under Folkes in the gym and he should be stronger and fitter next year. As was shown last night, his main weakness is his defence around the ruck, along with too much arm grabbing. As he develops his game more, hopefully he'll start putting his shoulder into it more, his first shot in defence last night was a good one but it dropped away afterwards.

matty119

Post by matty119 » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 10:34 pm

I think people are being waaaaay too harsh on Sheens on this point. It was clear that Galloway was already waiting to come on, so Fifita was always coming off, its just the mistake makes it look bad.

In all honesty, I thought most of the forwards were below par, but when it comes down to the last 5mins, scores close, I'd much rather forwards I can trust on the field, like Gibbs and Galloway, as opposed to Fifita, who has massive potential, but is definitely a loose cannon, and not the safer bet we needed in that situation. His defense last night was very poor and lazy, not up to first grade standard, and whilst not perfect, Gibbs was a lot better than him in this regard.

He definitely is a player to hold on to for the future, but needs to work on his discipline, both on and off the field, before he can be more heavily relied on at the crunch time.

Raptor

Post by Raptor » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 10:54 pm

Who was fifita hooked for as galloway was still walking up and down the side line with the 10 card 2 sets of 6 later..

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 9:26 am

Raptor wrote:Who was fifita hooked for as galloway was still walking up and down the side line with the 10 card 2 sets of 6 later..
From memory I think it was Mitch Brown who came on around that time?
Brown went to the left centre position where ayshford had been playing, did ayshford move into the 2nd row?

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm

BeeJay wrote: did ayshford move into the 2nd row?
lock
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"