Skando

tiger tigers

Re: Skando

Post by tiger tigers » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 5:34 pm

innsaneink wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:I must have been watching a different game because as soon as he hit the line he dropped everytime from what I saw.

I love him but his time is up and some of you need to take the black and white glasses off.
No need to turn this into a magpies balmain thing HT..... I thought you were past that.

He didnt let us down, thats what most that WERENT bagging his selection was saying.
As Snake says...he's a bit insurance, and a cool old head among a very very green bench of forwards with NO semis experience
well to be honest .. skando has played more games for the tigers than the magpies ... in my books he is as much a tigers legend as wayne pearce is ........his presence lifted the side last night ...the fact that a 34 y/o can come back and play solidly means the competition is not at a high level like in past seasons ....

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 5:38 pm

tiger tigers wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:I must have been watching a different game because as soon as he hit the line he dropped everytime from what I saw.

I love him but his time is up and some of you need to take the black and white glasses off.
No need to turn this into a magpies balmain thing HT..... I thought you were past that.

He didnt let us down, thats what most that WERENT bagging his selection was saying.
As Snake says...he's a bit insurance, and a cool old head among a very very green bench of forwards with NO semis experience
well to be honest .. skando has played more games for the tigers than the magpies ... in my books he is as much a tigers legend as wayne pearce is ........his presence lifted the side last night ...the fact that a 34 y/o can come back and play solidly means the competition is not at a high level like in past seasons ....
lol his presence.. dude...he did nothing...mean while moors may opt out of his second year because an undeserving fossil is playing ahead of him

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 6:28 pm

'Won't let anyone down'....'been selected for a purpose'....'no errors'.....'solid and reliable'.....That's all very well, but the point that's missed whenever there's another sentimental journey down the old Skando road, is that our recruiting in a key area has been woeful. It's not arguable......

coop

Post by coop » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 6:31 pm

I know Ron, for Skando to prove he was worthy he had to make 25 hitups @ 22metres per hitup and 45 tackles in his 33 minutes on the field for mine.

Bad Skando.

Seriously, if the bloke had scored 4 tries you'd still have whined and given it to him.

You're the forum sook.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 6:39 pm

innsaneink wrote:

Mate I am not turning it into anything, I am judging with my own eyes and from where I was sitting he was dominated in nearly every tackle. If someone wants to provide some stats, go for it - I don't think he offers more than Moors or Fifita could at the moment.

I love Skandalis as much as anyone, but we are in 2010 - he should not be playing ahead of better, more deserving options.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 6:40 pm

I am not a Skando fan and never have been. When I see him compared to great players I find it bordering on ridiculous.

In saying that he was good last night and in all his short stints in the top grade I have found his playing ability to be about as good as it ever was. His playing ability imo has not dimished at all. I suppose because of this he can be called on as a solid reliable back-up.

How he can be choosen ahead of Moors though is something I do not understand. I assume Moors must be undisciplined or something like that.

The team should be choosen on merit - Fifita and Moors should have 2 bench spots every week.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:00 pm

Geo. wrote:Gibbs, Fulton, Payten, Farah, Heighington and Ellis have all won Premierships.......

Wouldn't say short on Expirience....Opportunity sure....
You might wanna read wat I wrote again

coop

Post by coop » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:09 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Mate I am not turning it into anything, I am judging with my own eyes and from where I was sitting he was dominated in nearly every tackle. If someone wants to provide some stats, go for it - I don't think he offers more than Moors or Fifita could at the moment.

I love Skandalis as much as anyone, but we are in 2010 - he should not be playing ahead of better, more deserving options.
Skando averaged more per carry than Heighno, Gibbs, Big Red, Flanagan and the Big Hombre.

He missed 0 tackles from 18.

I believe Sheens thinks we need an old hard-head there to help get the players minds in the right place when its needed. And if that's the plan, can anybody argue that it didn't work last night?

coop

Post by coop » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:10 pm

tiger05 wrote:I am not a Skando fan and never have been. When I see him compared to great players I find it bordering on ridiculous.
You should have stopped there. The rest of your post is wasted keystrokes.

coop

Post by coop » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:14 pm

Just a tip everyone.

If you're unhappy with Skando being chosen, that's fine be unhappy with the person who chose him.

But Skando doesn't deserve the disrespect some posters here are throwing at him. He has always given everything he has and has never, ever let us down.

He did exactly what was expected of him last night.

coop

Post by coop » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:15 pm

ron burgandy wrote:he wanna be doin more then that last night to warrant his selection...what did he have 4 hit ups? total waste.....
Read my post about his stats. Then shhhhhhh.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:21 pm

HT wrote:Mate I am not turning it into anything, I am judging with my own eyes and from where I was sitting he was dominated in nearly every tackle. If someone wants to provide some stats, go for it - I don't think he offers more than Moors or Fifita could at the moment.

I love Skandalis as much as anyone, but we are in 2010 - he should not be playing ahead of better, more deserving options

Hybrid, I assume you were listening to MMM last night as i was, going by a cpl of ur posts.
You would heard brandy ask Sheens - "There were too many passes hrown at times...." where sheens replied "Yeh, we got into the side to side thing throwing passes into the crowd etc etc"

Moors or Fifita = while these guys are good, they cannott help themselves in promoting the ball, sometimes coaches just want steadying go forward which is what Sheens is after in Skando along with some insurance imo.
As for him being dominated, Ive only seen a fast forwarded replay at 5am this morning thru bleary eyes...I will watch again, but fwiw, it was his first game in NRL in a year.

He didnt let us down, imo he steadied the ship when he came on, which is what Sheens wants I think.
Last edited by innsaneink on Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah..... I should have read what you wrote.....

Your right Skando did his Job.....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:25 pm

coop wrote:Just a tip everyone.

If you're unhappy with Skando being chosen, that's fine be unhappy with the person who chose him.

But Skando doesn't deserve the disrespect some posters here are throwing at him. He has always given everything he has and has never, ever let us down.

Agreed Coop, well said.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:33 pm

:lol: haha good to see that rubbish deleted

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 9:36 pm

Disrespect? Well that takes unreality to an entirely new level. He's a player, like any other, that attracts opinions. The weight of opinion and indeed the stats suggest he is still the journeyman he was 12 years ago. If some want him to remain an icon, fair enough, he can be your Kevin Hardwick or Kerry Hemsley, both much loved, for their persistence and loyalty, nothing else

angeman

Post by angeman » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:04 pm

skando is a champion. though he did well 8 hitups for 70 metres? hardly gets dominated when tackles so we get a quicker play-the-ball, and he doesn't miss tackles! still would like to see moors there if fit?

coop

Post by coop » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 6:43 am

Citizen Tiger wrote:

Disrespect? Well that takes unreality to an entirely new level. He's a player, like any other, that attracts opinions. The weight of opinion and indeed the stats suggest he is still the journeyman he was 12 years ago. If some want him to remain an icon, fair enough, he can be your Kevin Hardwick or Kerry Hemsley, both much loved, for their persistence and loyalty, nothing else
Firstly, that post was aimed at one poster. He knows who.

Secondly, as has been pointed out, he was chosen to play by the coach, rightly or wrongly. He didn't pick himself.

Thirdly, as I pointed out earlier, he averaged more per metre in 9 hit ups than most of the current pack, made 18 or 19 tackles without missing one, didn't make an error and didn't give away a penalty. All in 33 minutes.

Do you actually think his game warranted criticism based on that?

I don't care if the bloke is 80, if he does the job the criticism is unwarranted. Criticise the decision to pick him, sure. Criticise the bloke for accepting the offer to do a job for his team and doing it well...?

I guess if he has played the '99 season for Balmain, this thread would be a bit different.