im over ayshford

tiger tigers

im over ayshford

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:25 pm

blake is fast becoming as bad as kevin mcguiness was in defence ......he gets turned around so easily but dosent have the pace to turn and chase.....teams are attacking his side and getting success every week .....id start grooming him for the back row .....

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:30 pm

Mate stay patient. Nearly every young centre that comes into first grade struggles defensively. Chris Lawrence was the worst defender ive ever seen, but he turned it around quicker than i thought possible. Steve Renouf was regarded as a poor defender at the start of his career but ended up one of the best. If Blake has the right attitude, he'll turn these lapses around and become a good centre.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:32 pm

He's slow, can't tackle and plays with little aggression. Almost every game one of his bad defensive reads costs us a try.

There should be no comparison with Lawrence. Lawrence oozes class, even when he was a poor defender everybody could see his sheer pace and power would eventually make him a great player. And look at the service Lawrence's winger gets.

Compare that to Ayshford. Even if he becomes a good defender he is not a classy player at all. More of a meat and potatoes style of player with no pace.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:38 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:He's slow, can't tackle and plays with little aggression. Almost every game one of his bad defensive reads costs us a try.

There should be no comparison with Lawrence. Lawrence oozes class, even when he was a poor defender everybody could see his sheer pace and power would eventually make him a great player. And look at the service Lawrence's winger gets.

Compare that to Ayshford. Even if he becomes a good defender he is not a classy player at all. More of a meat and potatoes style of player with no pace.
Well said hybrid.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:42 pm

king sirro wrote:Mate stay patient. Nearly every young centre that comes into first grade struggles defensively. Chris Lawrence was the worst defender ive ever seen, but he turned it around quicker than i thought possible. Steve Renouf was regarded as a poor defender at the start of his career but ended up one of the best. If Blake has the right attitude, he'll turn these lapses around and become a good centre.
He burried Matai a couple of times ...yet missed him badly at others...

I'd put him on the wing until Ryan comes back...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tiger_heart

Post by Tiger_heart » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:47 pm

He burried Matai a couple of times ...yet missed him badly at others...

I'd put him on the wing until Ryan comes back...[/quote]

Aren't wingers supposed to have pace? That he (sadly) lacks...

cuzzo

Post by cuzzo » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:54 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:He's slow, can't tackle and plays with little aggression. Almost every game one of his bad defensive reads costs us a try.

You only need to look at how often he offloads compared to Lawrence to see what sort of service he gives his winger. Today on several occasions he was tackled and still standing in the tackle ball in one hand but didn't offload, I can't imagine how frustrated Brown was. Lawrence has the ability to go to line, show the patience draw the defenders and give Lote great ball. Bring in Ryan or Daniela.
***This is not Wayne Cousins***

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:56 pm

He doesnt have the pace to be an attacking centre,yet lacks the physicality to be a defensive centre.He's been a big concern for some time,& it will be transparent to all (except the coach)in the coming weeeks.
He needs to bulk up in the off season AND improve his speed AND tighten his defense if he wants to play 1st grade when a real coach arrives in 2012

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:58 pm

He can hold the ball in one hand, so he must be good

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:01 pm

I personally think that if Ayshford can work on his defence he could become a very solid player. Yes he lacks abut of pace but I thought that at times today he looked very dangerous in attack. I think that given another off season at the gym he may have bulked up enough to become a lock given his size. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him yet.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:17 pm

He's still a mixed bag while developing. Physically he's not as solid as what he can, and needs to be. He's never going to set the world on fire with his pace but he will ultimately become a better player. This season was always going to be a big test for Blake as he didn't play a full season in FG last year and he's learning a lot about the game this year. If Daniela was fit, he could go close to bumping Ayshford out, but unless Brown shifts to the centres with Ryan coming back onto the wing, I don't think Sheens will consider any other options at this stage.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:33 pm

willow wrote:He's still a mixed bag while developing. Physically he's not as solid as what he can, and needs to be. He's never going to set the world on fire with his pace but he will ultimately become a better player. This season was always going to be a big test for Blake as he didn't play a full season in FG last year and he's learning a lot about the game this year. If Daniela was fit, he could go close to bumping Ayshford out, but unless Brown shifts to the centres with Ryan coming back onto the wing, I don't think Sheens will consider any other options at this stage.
How about putting Ryan in the centres,which is/was his natural postion,& leaving Brown on the wing..
Makes waaayyy too much sense to be a reality...

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:39 pm

Does Beau Ryan play footy? I thought he was a media personality

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:39 pm

thats what id do clontar....IMO if blake has any future its at lock when he bulks up a bit.... the guy is a revolving door defensively....with lawry it was bad reads not his tackling ability when he first came into grade

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:57 pm

Alf Duguid wrote:Does Beau Ryan play footy? I thought he was a media personality
yeh wtf is going on with ryan - he's investing alot of time with media opportunities, doesn't show even an inkling of injury, all the whilst our wing spot is being trampled all over :roll:

fulleightyminutes

Post by fulleightyminutes » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:59 pm

He was a strong defender last year. Perhaps being younger and less experienced he hasn't been as quick to adapt to all the changing sides/positions that went on when Lui was injured. I don't remember even thinking about him in defence before Lui was out and he was shifted to 5/8 and then the other side of the field. I think he is a good prospect, but accept all the criticisms of him. Any chance Sheens will try Moltz in centre next year (as he did once or twice before?)

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:12 pm

I have thought this before today bot........
I was at the game today and I thought that Lote was out of position in defense A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:14 pm

ragedmachine wrote:
Alf Duguid wrote:Does Beau Ryan play footy? I thought he was a media personality
yeh wtf is going on with ryan - he's investing alot of time with media opportunities, doesn't show even an inkling of injury, all the whilst our wing spot is being trampled all over :roll:
He had nerve damage in his neck/shoulder. Not the easiest injury to treat and it wipes him out of doing contact work.