SHARKS READY FOR LEICHHARDT TEST

willow

Post by willow » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 7:56 pm

Adam Lucius, Sportal
29/07/2010 4:05:06 PM

There is nothing in the NRL handbook that prepares a visiting player for a trip to Leichhardt Oval.

The West Tigers' boutique ground is like nothing else in the game, a suffocating atmosphere where players eyeball fans from close range and the noise can drown out the 747s that regularly fly overhead.

But the Sharks won't have to look too far if they want advice on how to handle the occasion ahead of the trip down Mary St on Saturday night.

Centre Dean Collis, hooker John Morris and winger Luke Covell are all ex-Tigers.

"The crowd is right on top of you, especially when the hill is packed," said Collis, who played at the Tigers from 2003-09, of the Leichhardt experience.

"I know the boys at the Tigers enjoy playing there as I did when I was with them.

"It's one of those grounds that brings the best out in players and I've been looking forward to it for a couple of weeks."

"I’ll be telling our guys to enjoy the experience and to take it in all in their stride."

There is only one way to quieten the Leichhardt faithful and that's to tame the Tigers.

It's a task that's been beyond Cronulla in recent years, the joint venture club enjoying a huge advantage in the overall head-to-head record.

"They've got strike weapons right across the field," Collis pointed out.

"With Robbie (Farah) and Benji (Marshall) out there, they can hurt you from anywhere on the park.

"We need to keep the ball in their end. Field position is going to be vital.

"It's going to be a big ask but we have shown that when we're on we can give teams a shake."

Coach Shane Flanagan will go in with the same side that took it to Canberra in his debut match before ultimately falling short last Saturday night.

The Sharks are desperate to give the new boss his first NRL win sooner rather than later.

"He's really taken to it. Shane's really picked the joint up and everything is good," Collis said.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 8:04 pm

Hoping Ryan/Ayshford expose Covell down the right side all night...
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Gobbs

Post by Gobbs » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 9:20 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:Hoping Ryan/Ayshford expose Covell down the right side all night...
Correction. It'll be Lawrence & Tuqiri 8-) You bring the choc tops and i'll bring the pop corn
Still the Official #1 Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness Supporter ©

Eye Of Wests Tigers

Post by Eye Of Wests Tigers » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 9:27 pm

Gobbs wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Hoping Ryan/Ayshford expose Covell down the right side all night...
Correction. It'll be Lawrence & Tuqiri 8-) You bring the choc tops and i'll bring the pop corn
Actually Covell's a natrual left footer, and he plays on the Sharks left therefore.. Correction, It'll be Ryan and Ayshford as cultured Bogan mentioned ;)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 6:07 am

We should be sending it to Lawrence & Lote, far more damaging - Gordon looks brittle

Tigers 2010

Post by Tigers 2010 » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 7:19 am

Let's just hammer both sides!

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 9:09 am

I just hope that wests-tigers do not expect to score, off every play the ball.
otherwise they could end up on wrong side of score board.
win the battle of the forwards
no need to push the stupid pass. :brick:
build pressure and gain field advantage.
score close to the posts. :pray:
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

senexx

Post by senexx » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:01 pm

Centre Dean Collis, hooker John Morris and winger Luke Covell are all ex-Tigers.

I had almost forgotten these guys.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm

westTAHger wrote:I just hope that wests-tigers do not expect to score, off every play the ball.
otherwise they could end up on wrong side of score board.
win the battle of the forwards
no need to push the stupid pass. :brick:
build pressure and gain field advantage.
score close to the posts. :pray:
Exactly right!
Any chance you would be available at 7:28pm to pass on that message in the sheds.

LukeH

Post by LukeH » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 2:12 pm

Man nothing like the pressure of your best mate being a sharks fan, and having his team with nothing to lose!
It'll be a year of gloating if we don't win!