Robert Lui

citizen cub

Re: Robert Lui

Post by citizen cub » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:08 pm

Gee, you blokes are harsh. I thought he was one of our better players tonight and attack looked threatening with him controlling terms. His inside balls are actually purposeful (unlike Marshall's) and he takes on the line (unlike Marshall) so before you start criticizing young blokes like Lui, you should really observe the performances from the likes if Marshall, Farah, Galloway etc.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

willow

Post by willow » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm

Lui was hardly the worst Tiger out there tonight, and I didn't think his defence was as bad as some other games this season. Cronulla did a very good job of slowing the Tigers down around the ruck, and the refs did a good job of slowing the game down with their whistle. Fact is, the Sharks had a good dig tonight and the Tigers were still ordinary and didn't win the ruck which is always going to hamper the halves. I thought Marshall and Lui did alright considering.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:28 pm

Geez am I glad you guys turned up Citizen Cub and Willow! Getting swamped here.

Wasn't that long ago everyone was whinging that we didnt have a halfback when Lui and Moltz were injured. Now we get one back and everyone bags him.

He did well tonight against a committed team that wanted to pressure him.

Interesting in Sheens ABC interview that he mentioned that he is missing three fullbacks "two of which are kickers" and then mentioned Meaney by name. Does that mean Mullaney or Meaney would have been given a shot if fit? I doubt it - but interesting comments.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:33 pm

Robbie Lui was great....copped plenty and didn't go missing....

Try having Galen and Tupou,Snowden and Douglas running at you all night.....didn't let in 1 try...

More involed in attack....good signs
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Newy Tiger

Post by Newy Tiger » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:37 pm

Gee to be honest he has been improving a fair bit IMO lately defo not the worst tiger out there tonight still only young and will get better with experience.

scarcev

Post by scarcev » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:43 pm

geez harsh post, he was one of our better ones tonight (thats not saying much though), hard to be a halfback and fit straight back in when your coming back after a lay off, when you're a young bloke stepping up and when you're forwards are getting dominated and he had all three out there tonight

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:48 pm

The bloke is 19/20. I have watched our club for over 30 years and he is the best young half I have seen. He is really a 5/8th more than a halfback.

He has great skills and was far from our worse tonight. I have said it before but I still believe that when his contract is up in 2 years he will be amongst the most sought after players in the NRL.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 6:50 am

I think he's improving, has been injured a bit this year so that hasn't helped him find his feet. Still would prefer Moltzen there though.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 8:10 am

I thought Lui was good tonight. Some of the comments regarding Marshall though are way off imo. I thought Marshall was our easily best player out there. His ball playing won us the game and his kicking game was pretty close to perfect.

Lui though allowed him to chime in when he wanted to a lot more. Lui's passing game was good. His defence does need to improve and I would like to see him run it a little more often but overall I cannot complain on that effort.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:12 am

Tigersmurf wrote:Geez am I glad you guys turned up Citizen Cub and Willow! Getting swamped here.

Wasn't that long ago everyone was whinging that we didnt have a halfback when Lui and Moltz were injured. Now we get one back and everyone bags him.

He did well tonight against a committed team that wanted to pressure him.

Interesting in Sheens ABC interview that he mentioned that he is missing three fullbacks "two of which are kickers" and then mentioned Meaney by name. Does that mean Mullaney or Meaney would have been given a shot if fit? I doubt it - but interesting comments.

Good call TM.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:00 am

id like to see him actually playing halfback.. and not lingering at second or third reciever ...sheens shows he has the confidence to pick him , but he also shows he hasnt got the faith in him to lead from halfback .....

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:06 am

He's the one guys. We will win a premiership with Robert Lui at 7....

Anyone who believes otherwise is confusing everything, either with ignorance, or with a love affection with a guy who isn't playing.

We don't have a better option in all 3 clubs which is running around a footy field!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

no1tigerfan!

Post by no1tigerfan! » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:08 am

was at the sheaf last nite and saw moltzen benji and morris..... moltz said his knee is good and would be right if we make the semis

Gobbs

Post by Gobbs » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:57 am

The kid is 20. Halves don't come into their own until they're in their mid 20's. Maturity as a half differs to other positions. Lui's got the traits, qualities and ability to be a very good half. Confidence plays a major role in performance. When you've two genuine playmaker's in Farah and Marshall, I believe the kid sometimes feels a little intimidated to call the shots, run the ball and take control. This can only be fixed with time. The more game time the kid plays in Grade, the more confident he will become as an onfield leader. I'll suspect he'll command more ball and more reign in the weeks to come.
Still the Official #1 Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness Supporter ©

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 11:08 am

Gobbs wrote:The kid is 20. Halves don't come into their own until they're in their mid 20's. Maturity as a half differs to other positions. Lui's got the traits, qualities and ability to be a very good half. Confidence plays a major role in performance. When you've two genuine playmaker's in Farah and Marshall, I believe the kid sometimes feels a little intimidated to call the shots, run the ball and take control. This can only be fixed with time. The more game time the kid plays in Grade, the more confident he will become as an onfield leader. I'll suspect he'll command more ball and more reign in the weeks to come.

Agreed Gobbsie.......he is in an unusual situation.

Being a playmaker behind Robbie and Bunji is hard.

You can see the players around him dont support him as much as the other two.

TBH I have never rated him,but I must admit Im warming to him.

Not too bad....

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 11:44 am

Until Moltzen comes back he is the best option we have, so we need to stick with him.

He was OK last night, nothing outstanding but I am not expecting the world of him at this stage.

Team Tiger

Post by Team Tiger » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 11:50 am

Tiger_heart wrote:someone please explain how this bloke plays first grade, please...
Have you seen the Warriors game where we won 50-6? Have a look and see what he does.
WESTS TIGERS: Born in 1908... United in 2000.

Student of the game

Post by Student of the game » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 1:54 pm

Tiger_heart wrote:
Tigersmurf wrote:His attack is coming along really nicely......unfortunately his defence is not.

But, that may be reflective of the number of big men that the opposition run at him. He is only 19 or 20 odd.
How much older is Mitchell Pearce, a year? Or Daniel Mortimer??
No, Mortimer is NOT better than Lui. Mortimer is SOOOO overrated, and so to is Mitchyyy Peearce.