no FIFITA?

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Re: no FIFITA?

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 8:24 pm

bbobb wrote:[
I was thinking though that all our frowards play quite shallow - I really couldn't say anybody hits the line at speed. Are they coached to do this for some reason? Does it lead to quicker play the balls or something?
You've hit the nail on the head, I'm convinced we are coached to play like this, there is no other explanation.

Are we coached to not show any aggression? Why don't many of our forwards have any impact? Why do they stand so shallow from Farah when receiving the ball from dummy half? Why don't they stand deeper and run onto the ball at pace like every other team does?

It is like watching under 6's when they stand there and basically hand the ball to the player left or right like pass the parcel. There is no depth, no aggression, no structure, no wind up - we are so flat its embarrassing.

As for Galloway, last week I thought he had his best game since coming back from injury. Last night he took two steps back, sluggish and had minimal impact. I've seen Galloway fire up, watch both games against the Sharks in 2006 as an example. The problem is he hardly ever does. Is this an individual problem or is it how we are coached to play?


User avatar
Golden
Member
Member
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 9:56 pm

Post by Golden » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:02 pm

Fifta will be the new Dane Laurie Sheens just simply doesnt like big guys

Citizen Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:10 am

Post by Citizen Tiger » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:19 pm

willow wrote:
Geo. wrote:
citizen cub wrote:The fact that he has IMPACT is something new to the club, sure, he's not the fittest, but I'd take him any day of the week before the likes of Galloway and Flanagan. Plus, the only way he's going to get fitter is through match practice. Demoting him to NSW cup is going to do his fitness and confidence no good. Giving him 10 minutes a match would probably be more effective than giving useless twats Galloway 50 minutes.
Wrong....Fifita was a liability against Manly and offered little impact..We leeked points at that crucial time in the 1st half when he came on...the ruck fell apart..Galloway was our best...

Time in State Cup is what Fifta needs....plenty of time to get himself right for the finals...

Galloway has been warming to the task nicely....great game against the Sharks as well...
Very wrong indeed. 10 minutes in FG will do nothing for his fitness. 60 minutes in State Cup will. Fifita is carrying too much pudding around the middle, it takes 30 minutes of aerobic activity before the body starts to burn fat, therefore he can afford to play longer in State Cup where he's nowhere near as likely to be exposed as he has been in FG in defence.

As for calling Galloway useless, you've already shown you have no idea about the Tigers forward pack, it would be funny to see Galloway scrape you off his shoe if he ever ran at you.
Firstly your contention in relation to the burning of body fat is incorrect. The amount of glycogen a person has on board and the nature of the excercise will determine when a person begins to use stored fat as an energy source. Indeed it may be 30 minutes for a walker, or some similarly low key activity. Rugby League players however reach their lactate thresholds fairly quickly because it is a very high intensity excercise that uses massive amounts of calories per minute.

Given that first grade pace and intensity is somewhat higher than State Cup I think it easily argued that Fifita will benefit immensely, provide the coach gives him at least 15 minutes per half. The rewards IMO, absolutely outweigh the perceived 'risks'. There is a clear difference in the skill sets of the two players.

Not sure where you are going with your last comment, don't think Galloway would draw much satisfaction from 'scraping' a 14 year old off his shoe

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29274
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:27 pm

smeghead wrote:The fact that Fifita has put on fat whilst with the NRL squad would have to be a major concern.

A player good for 10 minute spurts is no use in the NRL
I'd like to know where this all started, apparently he gains 10kg looking at chicken wings :roll:
Is there any factual basis to this or just another forum myth

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33022
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:40 pm

Firstly your contention in relation to the burning of body fat is incorrect. The amount of glycogen a person has on board and the nature of the excercise will determine when a person begins to use stored fat as an energy source. Indeed it may be 30 minutes for a walker, or some similarly low key activity. Rugby League players however reach their lactate thresholds fairly quickly because it is a very high intensity excercise that uses massive amounts of calories per minute.

Given that first grade pace and intensity is somewhat higher than State Cup I think it easily argued that Fifita will benefit immensely, provide the coach gives him at least 15 minutes per half. The rewards IMO, absolutely outweigh the perceived 'risks'. There is a clear difference in the skill sets of the two players.

Not sure where you are going with your last comment, don't think Galloway would draw much satisfaction from 'scraping' a 14 year old off his shoe
Fifita's issue is his stored bodyfat level, he's not cutting it in terms of skin fold measurements. To burn stored bodyfat levels, low to moderate exercise is the best option. Having said that Rugby League is not moderate as you say. Fifita is not going to burn as much fat playing 30 minutes in FG as he would playing 60 minutes in State Cup. You are right in the difference between the two skill sets, fact is Galloway is a much better defender who reads the play better and has a higher woorkrate, whereas at the moment Fifita will not last 30 minutes in FG because his cardio and match fitness is not up to scratch, and that's why he's playing State Cup.

And yes, you're right about my last comment, I'm sure Galloway wouldn't waste his time with someone who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.


User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33022
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:44 pm

innsaneink wrote:
smeghead wrote:The fact that Fifita has put on fat whilst with the NRL squad would have to be a major concern.

A player good for 10 minute spurts is no use in the NRL
I'd like to know where this all started, apparently he gains 10kg looking at chicken wings :roll:
Is there any factual basis to this or just another forum myth
He failed a skinfold measurement and needs to get back to his target playing weight before he'll get a run in FG Ink. Both Fifita boys love their food and mentioned it was one of their weaknesses in an interview earlier this year (I think it was in Rugby League Week magazine). If they're not careful with what they eat, they blow out quite quickly with the build they have. Lui is in the same boat, when he visits his family in far North Queensland they eat a lot of turtles which are a delicacy, however they are very high in fat and Lui also has to work very hard to watch his weight.

Vicious
Member
Member
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:43 pm

Post by Vicious » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:01 pm

Do you think George Rose would pass our skin fold test ??? I don`t think so, but he`d be a real handy player if he was on our roster. When you consider we normally only play with 3 interchange players in any case, we could do a lot worse than give Andrew Fifita 2 x 15 minute spurts each game.

ron burgandy
Member
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:24 pm

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:18 pm

willow wrote:
Firstly your contention in relation to the burning of body fat is incorrect. The amount of glycogen a person has on board and the nature of the excercise will determine when a person begins to use stored fat as an energy source. Indeed it may be 30 minutes for a walker, or some similarly low key activity. Rugby League players however reach their lactate thresholds fairly quickly because it is a very high intensity excercise that uses massive amounts of calories per minute.

Given that first grade pace and intensity is somewhat higher than State Cup I think it easily argued that Fifita will benefit immensely, provide the coach gives him at least 15 minutes per half. The rewards IMO, absolutely outweigh the perceived 'risks'. There is a clear difference in the skill sets of the two players.

Not sure where you are going with your last comment, don't think Galloway would draw much satisfaction from 'scraping' a 14 year old off his shoe
Fifita's issue is his stored bodyfat level, he's not cutting it in terms of skin fold measurements. To burn stored bodyfat levels, low to moderate exercise is the best option. Having said that Rugby League is not moderate as you say. Fifita is not going to burn as much fat playing 30 minutes in FG as he would playing 60 minutes in State Cup. You are right in the difference between the two skill sets, fact is Galloway is a much better defender who reads the play better and has a higher woorkrate, whereas at the moment Fifita will not last 30 minutes in FG because his cardio and match fitness is not up to scratch, and that's why he's playing State Cup.

And yes, you're right about my last comment, I'm sure Galloway wouldn't waste his time with someone who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

willow KG usually comes off after 17-20 minutes in the first half comes back on 5 mins before half time then usually plays to about the 60-65 minute mark and thats it for him...his game time usually tallys between 40-50 minutes and producing around 10 runs a game......

we all know fifitas weight issues but TBH i think its a bit of a cop out from sheens...not all footballers are gonna be cut outta stone....fifita is one of these....IMO if he can play 30 minutes at this point of his career then he should be in FG...also consider that skando who replaced him barely played 20 mins in both games he played

tigerman

Post by tigerman » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:42 pm

did anyone notice when the tigers were struggling to make ground and go forward in their own quarter ,Keith did the old fashion play,tucked the ball under his arm and just ran straight and hard.It was not only required but refreshing to see as all the tiger decoy runs,dummies and inside passes sure serve there purpose ,but nearly every play makes them predictable for the opposition.Bring in Fifita and Moors and let them rip in rather than use zero impact players.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29358
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:44 pm

Turtle's ..... :lol: :lol:

aah.... :lol:

sorry

Oh...Ron...In the game against Manly ...We leaked 18 points in Fifita's 15 min stint...

What was the final score again..?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

User avatar
Tigersmurf
Member
Member
Posts: 1878
Joined: Tue 20 Oct, 2009 8:40 pm

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:46 pm

I remember another prop that had weight problems - Blocker Roach! Rarely injured but often suspended.

I also remember a fit and lean second rower - Ian Roberts - often injured.

I'll take my props with fat thanks....no matter whether they play 8 minutes or 80! If I am running full on (allegedly) at a defensive line then I want a little pudding to absorb the impact.

Could someone please pass me another donut.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33022
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 7:23 am

ron burgandy wrote:
willow wrote:
Firstly your contention in relation to the burning of body fat is incorrect. The amount of glycogen a person has on board and the nature of the excercise will determine when a person begins to use stored fat as an energy source. Indeed it may be 30 minutes for a walker, or some similarly low key activity. Rugby League players however reach their lactate thresholds fairly quickly because it is a very high intensity excercise that uses massive amounts of calories per minute.

Given that first grade pace and intensity is somewhat higher than State Cup I think it easily argued that Fifita will benefit immensely, provide the coach gives him at least 15 minutes per half. The rewards IMO, absolutely outweigh the perceived 'risks'. There is a clear difference in the skill sets of the two players.

Not sure where you are going with your last comment, don't think Galloway would draw much satisfaction from 'scraping' a 14 year old off his shoe
Fifita's issue is his stored bodyfat level, he's not cutting it in terms of skin fold measurements. To burn stored bodyfat levels, low to moderate exercise is the best option. Having said that Rugby League is not moderate as you say. Fifita is not going to burn as much fat playing 30 minutes in FG as he would playing 60 minutes in State Cup. You are right in the difference between the two skill sets, fact is Galloway is a much better defender who reads the play better and has a higher woorkrate, whereas at the moment Fifita will not last 30 minutes in FG because his cardio and match fitness is not up to scratch, and that's why he's playing State Cup.

And yes, you're right about my last comment, I'm sure Galloway wouldn't waste his time with someone who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

willow KG usually comes off after 17-20 minutes in the first half comes back on 5 mins before half time then usually plays to about the 60-65 minute mark and thats it for him...his game time usually tallys between 40-50 minutes and producing around 10 runs a game......

we all know fifitas weight issues but TBH i think its a bit of a cop out from sheens...not all footballers are gonna be cut outta stone....fifita is one of these....IMO if he can play 30 minutes at this point of his career then he should be in FG...also consider that skando who replaced him barely played 20 mins in both games he played

I understand what you're saying ron, aside from Fifita's fitness, his defense is an issue too. He was found out against Manly and that's why he only had such a short stint. Even against the Central Coast he was arm grabbing a lot, you just can't afford to do that in FG. A bloke his size should be driving hard with his legs and shoulder and burying blokes. We've all seen how hard he is to stop when he gets one on one with someone and uses his fend, he's got natural strength but needs to learn to use it properly and effectively.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 7:35 am

innsaneink wrote:
smeghead wrote:The fact that Fifita has put on fat whilst with the NRL squad would have to be a major concern.

A player good for 10 minute spurts is no use in the NRL
I'd like to know where this all started, apparently he gains 10kg looking at chicken wings :roll:
Is there any factual basis to this or just another forum myth
No Myth Ink...

We were sitting behind him on the bench a few weeks ago and while we were eating a Hotdogs, he kept looking at my boy. It was then I realised he was swelling up some. My boy was worried he was gona eat him!!!

So as you can see, something must be done to ensure this problem is fixed...

:deadhorse: - BBQ at Fifita's
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
tiger05
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by tiger05 » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 7:45 am

Vicious wrote:Do you think George Rose would pass our skin fold test ??? I don`t think so, but he`d be a real handy player if he was on our roster. When you consider we normally only play with 3 interchange players in any case, we could do a lot worse than give Andrew Fifita 2 x 15 minute spurts each game.
Totally agree. Fifita should be in the team based on his ability. I don't care if he is a lardass and the coaching staff shouldn't either.

As for his ability to keep going I don't think that his conditioning has anything to do with him carrying a couple extra kgs.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7081
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 8:27 am

I probably give it to Sheens more than most but Iam with him 100% on Fifita. If the kid wants to be more than a one season wonder he has to learn whats required to be a good NRL footballer. He started off in a blaze of glory but since then his form has declined and the other teams are looking for him. That is to be expected of a young kid in his first season. Sheens has obviously said to him go and do the hard yards in the lower grades and we will look at you latter. He is also taking him away from the other teams radar and do not be suprized if he reintroduced latter in the season in the bigger games meaner and leaner as the x factor.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29358
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 9:30 am

supercoach wrote:I probably give it to Sheens more than most but Iam with him 100% on Fifita. If the kid wants to be more than a one season wonder he has to learn whats required to be a good NRL footballer. He started off in a blaze of glory but since then his form has declined and the other teams are looking for him. That is to be expected of a young kid in his first season. Sheens has obviously said to him go and do the hard yards in the lower grades and we will look at you latter. He is also taking him away from the other teams radar and do not be suprized if he reintroduced latter in the season in the bigger games meaner and leaner as the x factor.
Thank You....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

ron burgandy
Member
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:24 pm

Post by ron burgandy » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 5:14 pm

Geo. wrote:Turtle's ..... :lol: :lol:

aah.... :lol:

sorry

Oh...Ron...In the game against Manly ...We leaked 18 points in Fifita's 15 min stint...

What was the final score again..?

yeah that was all fifita....ffs what a retarded comment...

hey ive never been attack by a bear because i always wear a hat outside....if i got attacked by a bear because i wasnt wearing a hat was it because i wasnt wearing a hat or i just happened to outside when a bear was about?

what i just posted makes about as much sense as your theory

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 5:36 pm

ron burgandy wrote:
yeah that was all fifita....ffs what a retarded comment...

hey ive never been attack by a bear because i always wear a hat outside....if i got attacked by a bear because i wasnt wearing a hat was it because i wasnt wearing a hat or i just happened to outside when a bear was about?

what i just posted makes about as much sense as your theory
Nice analogy Ron. I'll have to try to remember that one next time you suggest that our fitness coach is responsible for us being top 4 immediately after being run over in the second half by the worst second half team in the comp.

Post Reply