Blake Ayshford - very impressed

ImageImageImage
Friday 17 September 2010 7:30PM
Canberra Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
Yossarian

Blake Ayshford - very impressed

Post by Yossarian » Fri 17 Sep, 2010 11:55 pm

I admit I had my doubts about him at stages of the season but I think Blake has really stood up in the finals. His defence is much better, he's been strong in attack, and made good decisions.

Hope he can keep his form up.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:04 am

I said earlier in the year we have the best centre paring going forward in the NRL. Ayshford with more game time will become a top NRL player. Look i like Beau but honestly if a fit TNT was outside Ayshford the results could be devastating to opposition defences.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:05 am

I thought his defence has always been good. He missed a couple of one-on-ones but was never embarrassed. He is a quality footballer. Hard to tackle. Looks to be a quality future back-rower but hopefully he stays in the centres.

Kul

Post by Kul » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:21 am

he may miss some, but he does put in some cracking play-stopping tackles too. His one-on-one at-speed tackles are fantastic! must be the lanky arms
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:54 am

He has been brilliant the last 2 weeks.... the best games i have seen from a center in a very long time!
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 1:31 am

yossarian wrote:i admit i had my doubts about him at stages of the season but i think blake has really stood up in the finals. His defence is much better, he's been strong in attack, and made good decisions.

Hope he can keep his form up.

all young players struggle with defense it takes time not only physically but mentally to concentrate for 80 minutes and to learn to read a play.we saw it with lawrence and ayshford and we are seeing it now from lui and fifita but i think with time lui will come out of his defensive lapses and turn into a star in his own right.hes only played about 15 games and is 20 with time lui as where seeing with ayshford will be a star.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 3:07 am

Blake was in our two top best both last week and tonight.
the bloke is on fire!

alex

Post by alex » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 3:34 am

Did I read correctly all he ate the day of the Roosters game was 4 slices of toast?

And still scored a 60m try?!

Get Tip Top to sponsor him!!

TigerMc

Post by TigerMc » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 6:59 am

He showed glimpses of Brillaince undermining Matai @ sfs late 09' - has obviously matured since then & his all round game looking great! Another Roosters junior that "got away"...

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 7:21 am

I had been critical of Ayshford's defence, reading plays wrong, running up out of the line and missing tackles. His attack has been good but not great as he tended to hang onto the ball when a pass was needed.

I can only say that his defence and attack in the last month has been outstanding. Well done Blake for the improvement. Keep it up and I see great things ahead.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Gotoddy

Post by Gotoddy » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:26 am

Blake was my man of the match last night. I am so impressed with this young guy. To show the guts he did not only last week when he was so ill but last night, after another disrupted week due to illness, he just shone with his defence. He is definitely going to be a special player to watch.

Tiger_Al

Post by Tiger_Al » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:30 am

I think he has very underated strength... Going very well...

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:39 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:I said earlier in the year we have the best centre paring going forward in the NRL. Ayshford with more game time will become a top NRL player. Look i like Beau but honestly if a fit TNT was outside Ayshford the results could be devastating to opposition defences.
Obviously, you were crying in the dark like me. With little experience and being young, I thought he had something, AS A CENTRE LAST YEAR! Now, hopefully, the back-rower and low ratings talk WILL STOP!!!
Lawrence and Ayshford will be a brilliant, competition-winning centre pairing for years to come!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:57 am

alex wrote:Did I read correctly all he ate the day of the Roosters game was 4 slices of toast?

And still scored a 60m try?!

Get Tip Top to sponsor him!!
Yes you did read that.....man can not live on bread alone....Ayshford no problem...

Has a knack of breaking tackles...if there was a stat for half breaks he'd have a zillion...

Why would you move him?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:03 am

Never understood the calls for his dropping.

He has been great all year for mine.

Around finals time you need a guy like Blake who is willing to hold the ball and take the safer option at times. He has really come along as a player though

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:19 am

How many times does he break through the first line of defence? He has an uncanny ability to do so.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:17 am

smeghead wrote:Never understood the calls for his dropping.

He has been great all year for mine.

Around finals time you need a guy like Blake who is willing to hold the ball and take the safer option at times. He has really come along as a player though
great all year?
i think that is a little over the top.
he was poor in alot of areas in the first half of the year.
came up with bad misses and his execution with the ball was poor,he came up with alot of turnovers after a positive play.he reminded me of the way collis started last year.

but the back half he has really cut out the errors in attack and defense.
the last 2 games he has really impressed me with his attitude while struggling with illness.
i tip my hat off to him for showing a focus i could only dream of having.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:23 am

I honestly believe it Bon. I think alot of the chopping and changing in the halves hurt the cohesion of our defence as a whole. He did make some poor defensive reads but in balance I think he has been great all year. Ever reliable and always making the important metres out of our own end.

In saying that the growth at the back end is obvious. He is feeling more comfortable by the look of it and more and more of his ball playing abilities will come through in time