Robert Lui

ImageImageImage
Friday 17 September 2010 7:30PM
Canberra Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
Tiger_heart

Robert Lui

Post by Tiger_heart » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 7:04 am

I know this guy tends to polarize opinions but to my mind last night he was star struck, and I was really nervous every time someone ran at him, even when we try to hide in defense...I know we don't have alternatives, he is young, etc. but on last night's performance, he didn't quite make the "hero" grade, in my book, anyway..

bradexl

Post by bradexl » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:08 am

He would be star struck...Huge semi final, only a kid and a lot of pressure on him...He handled it well, he has done for a few weeks now and will be the number one half back in the game in a couple of years time

Magpie69

Post by Magpie69 » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:13 am

I thought he went ok, although I dont see where he fits into the scheme of things when Moltzen comes back

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:13 am

Lui is the glue!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:44 am

I like that Watto..

Star struck yeah ...who wouldn't be watching Farah on Fire and Benji doing whatever it is he does.....

Good game from Lui ...terrorised by Harrison but still never gave up...

The fit is getting better...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:06 am

Geo. wrote:I like that Watto..

Star struck yeah ...who wouldn't be watching Farah on Fire and Benji doing whatever it is he does.....

Good game from Lui ...terrorised by Harrison but still never gave up...

The fit is getting better...
I think a few of you are not looking at Robert's background. He is still only young, is indigenous and comes from way out in the back blocks, so it is not surprising he is taking time to fit in. If you look at his tackling last year, it sure is showing big improvement over the past few weeks. I guess Folkes has been doing a lot of work with him and it shows.

His work in attack would be to be a link with the backs rather than running the plays. I see he has made fewer mistakes of late in this area.

He is definitely developing into a good half-back for the future.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:12 am

It didn't help that he was defending next to rowdy, who understandably was a little gun shy. Thought his attack was pretty good. Not his best game sure, but I would not say a bad one either.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:26 am

I agree. I noticed sometimes also on 5th tackled when he had the ball, instead of kicking it or passing early he kept waiting a bit before giving it to Benji, putting pressure on him to kick. Luckily Benji did well but honestly it wasn't made easy for him.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:31 am

Yes I thought Lawrence made him look bad last night. Lawrences confidence must have been down - particularly the try off the tap!

Lui's fame gives Benji a lot more time and he has the pass to put someone through the gap. I liked it when he looked to past and then ran the ball and almost snuck through. He is still eligible for 20's isn't he? I compare his development with Ben Barbara whos defence has improved significantly. I can see the same improvement in Lui.

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:49 am

Tiger Watto wrote:Lui is the glue!!!
x2
I thought he was good again last night. He's prepared to take on the line. I like that.

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:33 am

Lui had a great game, his passes are so crisp to Benji - making his life so much easier.

Lawrence made Lui look worse in defence than he was. Lui made plenty of good tackles, but yes, missed a couple of important ones as well. He is what, 20 years old? He is a halfback, not a forward, so he is always going to struggle with his size against the bigger blokes. He is not being hidden in defence well enough, we did it for Benji for years, why can't we do the same for Lui?

scarcev

Post by scarcev » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:41 am

As others have said defending with Rowdy who's confidence wouldnt have been high (and understandably so coming off that injury earlier than he should have) that edge was targetted by Canberra and not a bad effort considering I thought. We dont need a star halfback, Benji and Robbie run the game we just need a decent catch and pass guy who can take the line on occassionally and defend and seeing as he is only a kid I reckon he's going alright. Personally I'd leave him there even when Moltz comes back, Moltz can play anywhere in the backline and Lui is a half. Good problem to have isnt it.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:49 am

lui will always be a target and it will probably take another 3 or 4 years to develop defensively.
it comes with the territory.
big fan of the kid and i just hope he isn't easily satisfied.
he passed the eyeball test very quickly in my eyes,but hard work is what will keep him in our minds forever.
sooooo much potential with this kid.we are only scratching the surface.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:28 pm

remember how Benji was a liability in defence a few years back.....not anymore!...same will happen with Lui as he gets bigger and stronger

senexx

Post by senexx » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 1:03 pm

My old man commented last night that he's not usually a fan of those with an indigenous background but he sung Lui's praises.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 1:07 pm

Lui should just be given the responsibility to defend three in. He has done well every time. When they started to hide him last night was when cracks appeared. Lawrence defending three in and injured proved to be worse than Lui.

Ken Y

Post by Ken Y » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 1:08 pm

senexx wrote:My old man commented last night that he's not usually a fan of those with an indigenous background but he sung Lui's praises.
What hes background got to do with it?

senexx

Post by senexx » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 1:12 pm

It wasn't my statement Ken
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris