Three Blind Mice !!!

ImageImageImage
Friday 17 September 2010 7:30PM
Canberra Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
User avatar
JRD
Member
Member
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Three Blind Mice !!!

Post by JRD » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 8:47 pm

Swanny wrote:Did anyone else notice how far foward campese walked off were he was tackled. The tackle before the first try he crawled about 8 steps foward, how they miss that i will never know!
Campese did it twice one was the play the ball before bronson scored i couldnt believe it.Does anyone remember a balmain game vs canberra years ago when tigers winger james langaloa i think his name was got penalised late in the game for walking of the mark and i think they kicked a goal to win the game,replays showed he played it on the spot he was tackled, compare that to how campese was crawling atleast 4 metres of the mark


LARDS
Member
Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:25 pm

Post by LARDS » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:00 pm

People assume these refs are incompetant but I'm starting to beleive there's more to it.
I mean some of the decisions are so mind bogglingly stupid they can't possibly be made without some kind of prejudice.
The NRL has favourites that they want to win,
They would have loved Canberra to win.
They are going to want St George to win. And the roosters.
The Roosters are getting a good run of it tonight.(I'd be spitting it if I was a panthers fan)
We were their favourites in 05 , now its someone elses turn.

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 10931
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 7:45 am

Whilst I do think there is something you could say about ref's prejudice and bias..... I honestly don't think there's some grand conspiracy going on at the NRL.

The Panthers lost due to the injuries they picked up in the first half, plus going in missing 2 players and the fact they just couldn't hang onto the ball.

User avatar
Fraze23
Member
Member
Posts: 1910
Joined: Thu 15 Jul, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridge United Kingdom

Post by Fraze23 » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 8:29 am

im just wwondering who taught hayne how to blow his whistle last night.

IMO the players moving off the mark is becoming the next big problem, Canberra did it all night on friday, so did the roosters last week, it puts the markers offside and produces opportunities out of dummy half that they dont deserve.

User avatar
BurningBright
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 3:46 pm

Post by BurningBright » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 4:41 pm

Magpie69 wrote:Nope, as soon as he kicks it, Tongue is off side, even if Dugan does run past him, shocking decision!!!!
Tongue was indeed off-side when Dugan kicked it.

However, Section 14 of the 2010 Edition of "The Australian Rugby League Laws of the Game and the Notes on the Laws" confirms that Tongue was placed back on-side when the ball touched Todd Payten's left foot and also by Dugan running in front of him:

"3. An off side player is placed onside if:
.
.
b) an opponent touches the ball without retaining it.
.
.
d) one of his own team kicks or knocks the ball forward and takes up a position in front of him in the field of play."

I only looked this up after the game, because I was dirty that Tongue was off-side too.
:?


Lukic
Member
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 4:03 pm

Post by Lukic » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 4:54 pm

That's if it's deemed to have been played at. I don't think it was by Payten, however as I said, Dugan running through did put him onside.

User avatar
BurningBright
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 3:46 pm

Post by BurningBright » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 5:34 pm

Lukic wrote:That's if it's deemed to have been played at. I don't think it was by Payten, however as I said, Dugan running through did put him onside.
Aahh.....actually it was Todd Payten and he did play at it. And sorry, my mistake, the ball hit his leg (closer to the knee) not his foot....

And yes you're right, Dugan did put Tongue onside anyway.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28989
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 5:56 pm

What about you can't be within the 10 when a kick lands...Tongue slipped inside the 10...Offside penalty even before it touched Payto..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
BurningBright
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 3:46 pm

Post by BurningBright » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 6:14 pm

Geo. wrote:What about you can't be within the 10 when a kick lands...Tongue slipped inside the 10...Offside penalty even before it touched Payto..
Yeah I'm not entirely sure how the laws are supposed to be interpreted in this case. Here's the part in the laws about retiring the 10 metres:

"An off side player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball."

I think that because Payten was neither "waiting for the ball" nor ever "secured possession of the ball", this part of the rule did not apply to Tongue. For the split second that Tongue was offside (from the moment the ball left Dugan's boot to the moment it hit Payten's leg or to the moment that Dugan ran past Tongue, whichever came first),it appears that he only had to comply with the part "not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game". And this would be very hard to determine, given that we are talking about less than half a second.

It will be interesting to see if anyone questions Bill Harrigan about this on talkback radio tomorrow. I'd be keen to hear his response!

User avatar
Moh
Member
Member
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by Moh » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 7:09 pm

Magpie69 wrote:Archer, Maxwell and Harrigan have to go, Tongue was obviously offside when he scored his try. As soon as Dugan kicked the ball, Tongue was in front of him and inside the 10 meters. If they cant get bthe simple ones right, get someone who can. Refs will decide who wins the 2010 Premiership- mark my words !
Image
Swanny wrote:Did anyone else notice how far foward campese walked off were he was tackled. The tackle before the first try he crawled about 8 steps foward, how they miss that i will never know!
Image

Image

Disgrace.

User avatar
Magpie69
Member
Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:27 am
Location: Wollongong

Post by Magpie69 » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 7:27 pm

BurningBright wrote:
Geo. wrote:What about you can't be within the 10 when a kick lands...Tongue slipped inside the 10...Offside penalty even before it touched Payto..
Yeah I'm not entirely sure how the laws are supposed to be interpreted in this case. Here's the part in the laws about retiring the 10 metres:

"An off side player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball."

I think that because Payten was neither "waiting for the ball" nor ever "secured possession of the ball", this part of the rule did not apply to Tongue. For the split second that Tongue was offside (from the moment the ball left Dugan's boot to the moment it hit Payten's leg or to the moment that Dugan ran past Tongue, whichever came first),it appears that he only had to comply with the part "not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game". And this would be very hard to determine, given that we are talking about less than half a second.

It will be interesting to see if anyone questions Bill Harrigan about this on talkback radio tomorrow. I'd be keen to hear his response!
I know we are splitting hairs, but the very fact he was within eyesight means he took part. Deadset penalty to the Tigers

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28989
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 8:30 pm

[quote="Moh"]

Image

SEE

OFFSIDE....inside the 10......PENALTY TIGERS...

explain that one on monday Harrigan you CLOWN
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Leroy The Tigers Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:10 am

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 8:37 pm

The reason why the try was allowed was that Lui lost the ball, apparenty negating the fact that Tongue was in front of the Kicker, we won the game so I would be looking for positive not negative aspects of the game for next week!.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 9:05 pm

If there is one thing about the refereeing this year they have been consistent! Consistently useless.
But on a serious side you would,nt want Hayne as ref he comes acroos as a show pony same catergory as Hartley,Harrigan must be the H in the surname

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 10931
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 6:30 am

Didn't Ellis have a try disallowed in the Roosters game cause he was in front of the kicker?

User avatar
Paris Cobbs
Member
Member
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: Paris, France.

Post by Paris Cobbs » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 1:01 am

Surely Tongue grounded the ball short of the line then advanced it deliberately by bringing the ball across his body in his hands, thus making it a double movement.

The referees are the great x-factor in the Premiership. They have too much involvement in the momentum of the game and a large proportion of tries come on the back of penalties.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Post Reply