GIVE RHINO A KICK

tiger tigers

GIVE RHINO A KICK

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 11:26 am

if benji is still struggling with the boot then why not give rhino a shot ....he was a prolific points scorer in his junior days and pretty handy with his boot.....

willow

Post by willow » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 11:37 am

Benji and Lawry have been the only 2 blokes regularly practising, and Benji will be taking them tonight unless he hands the reins over again.

pacey

Post by pacey » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:46 pm

whose rhino?
i think i had a brains snap

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but it's a bit different kicking for the Umina Bunnies than the NRL.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm

pacey wrote:whose rhino?
i think i had a brains snap
Chris Heighington.

Maybe someone can do a sticky with all the player nicknames!!

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:53 pm

I was a point scoring machine in the juniors... Then I remember my grade debut and it all slowed down from there...

Give Gibbs a go... He needs alternatives to score points. Or better still, we could go back to the Scorer Kicks rule...
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:I'm not sure if you're joking or not but it's a bit different kicking for the Umina Bunnies than the NRL.
I dunno Yoss...either you can kick them or you can't...

Dark Horse....Liam......he looks keen..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:I'm not sure if you're joking or not but it's a bit different kicking for the Umina Bunnies than the NRL.
Well in theory it isn't. Goalkicking is the only skill which doesn't change through the grades ;)

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:21 pm

Lukic and Geo, there are two key differences. Firstly in my experience a large chunk of tries are scored under or near the posts in junior league. So you might have a great number of goals (winning 80-0 pads out your numbers!) and a reasonable % but it might not mean you're an ace kicker. I'd bet Farah kicked a stack of goals as a junior and probably Chris Lawrence too.

Secondly the pressure is obviously a lot different. Apparently Benji knocks them over from everywhere at training but can't replicate it under the pressures of the NRL.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 2:05 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:we could go back to the Scorer Kicks rule...
YES!!
Great idea that would really bring the kiddies back to the game.
Get on to Gallop now!
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 2:22 pm

Yossarian wrote:Lukic and Geo, there are two key differences. Firstly in my experience a large chunk of tries are scored under or near the posts in junior league. So you might have a great number of goals (winning 80-0 pads out your numbers!) and a reasonable % but it might not mean you're an ace kicker. I'd bet Farah kicked a stack of goals as a junior and probably Chris Lawrence too.

Secondly the pressure is obviously a lot different. Apparently Benji knocks them over from everywhere at training but can't replicate it under the pressures of the NRL.
The pressure would be similar, as a junior you dont know the pressure of a NRL player, you only know the level that youre at....no difference, but you still know a miss could cost 2 points.
Plenty scored out wide each week in juniors....

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 6:51 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:I was a point scoring machine in the juniors... Then I remember my grade debut and it all slowed down from there...

Give Gibbs a go... He needs alternatives to score points. Or better still, we could go back to the Scorer Kicks rule...
On the subject of Gibsy , the poor donkey deserves at least 1 try this year .Hat off to him for all his improvements he has made this year..
Not fussed who kicks or who can , just get maximum of 6 each time and that will keep me happy ..

Lets see who steps up and slots them tonight ...

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:54 pm

why is the ball smaller ? is the ground smaller ?
i can see youve never played the game at any level .....
im 48 and i can still kick a goal from the side line or 40 plus metres out .....and using only two steps because the hammys are gone lol....

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:Lukic and Geo, there are two key differences. Firstly in my experience a large chunk of tries are scored under or near the posts in junior league. So you might have a great number of goals (winning 80-0 pads out your numbers!) and a reasonable % but it might not mean you're an ace kicker. I'd bet Farah kicked a stack of goals as a junior and probably Chris Lawrence too.

firstly.. in the juniors we have the mercy rule ... 50 or so points depending on the comp ... and trust me the trys are scored from every where not all under the posts ....
secondly ...its heaps less pressure when you kick from the sideline because they are the kicks your not expected to kick ... the ones in close are the pressure kicks ... ask any goalkicker ...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:00 pm

tiger tigers wrote:

firstly.. in the juniors we have the mercy rule ... 50 or so points depending on the comp ... and trust me the trys are scored from every where not all under the posts ....
secondly ...its heaps less pressure when you kick from the sideline because they are the kicks your not expected to kick ... the ones in close are the pressure kicks ... ask any goalkicker ...
Mate you've arked up at every post of I've made in this thread to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. You're experiences with junior footy is not mine. When I played or watched most of the tries were scored in a pretty handy position. They did NOT have a mercy rule in the North Sydney juniors when I played so if you were up 40 blot teams normally didn't try to keep you out wide for the kick.

So your experiences are different from mine, it doesn't make me right or you right?

And if you blokes seriously think someone playing for Umina U/16s is under the same pressure as playing in the NRL I'm not going to argue about it. I think its a crock to suggest have 15000 people screaming at you is similar to 50 blokes and 2 labradors at Woy Woy Oval but that's just my opinion.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:04 pm

innsaneink wrote:

The pressure would be similar, as a junior you dont know the pressure of a NRL player, you only know the level that youre at....no difference, but you still know a miss could cost 2 points.
Plenty scored out wide each week in juniors....
Your opinion... When I played I didn't feel any pressure at all. I drop a pass or score a try - doesn't matter, everyone forgets pretty quick. Even not having played NRL I can appreciate it being a much higher pressure environment. It is far more phyiscally taxing as well so you're not going to be as fresh when you kick.

I never said nobody scores out wide, just in my experience the % is a lot lower in juniors. You have more blowouts, less linebreaks are chased down, fullbacks aren't as great and you have more dominant players who score a lot of tries.

Anyway I'm yet to see any stats on Rhino's goalkicking prowess or otherwise.