How did Merrit stay on the field?

alien

Re: How did Merrit stay on the field?

Post by alien » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:20 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:I think if you go on report if not sent off you should also get 10 in the bin. One of our best attacking players was taken out late and high. What advantage did we get. If Merrit was in the bin for 10 we could have used the extra man advantage (probably not the way we are playing).

The refs are too soft to send anyone off anymore so if someone goes on report put them in the bin for 10.
It wasn't late and it didn't really look all that high. I think he got hurt because he got hit hard and didn't really see him coming. That's Rugby League. I think the ref made the right decision giving us the penalty and putting Merritt on report because it was a bit careless how he jumped at him which is why it may have been a little high but he shouldn't have been sent off. I didn't look like most of the contact was from a swinging arm.

alien

Post by alien » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:23 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:In response to my above post, everyone place on report goes for 10 in the bin. Hard and fast rule that everyone knows. I would also drop referees that are found to have wrongly placed someone on report.
They can't do that because half of the people they put on report shouldn't be getting put on report in the first place and having a player sin-binned for 10 minutes can make a huge difference in a match.

chkbehind

Post by chkbehind » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:05 am

Yes it was high! Couldn't see where first contact was made though it was out of camera view. I'm sure every idiot Souths supporter missed Lawrence's head bouncing hard into the turf, the kid was clearly knocked out.

LukeH

Post by LukeH » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:07 am

I think what helped Merritt is that he's not a dirty player. He knew the only way to stop lawrence was to jump high, and I think he just jumped too high and collected him. He won't serve time, but just collect a few points.