Benji Marshall.....

Magpie Magic

Re: Benji Marshall.....

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 6:44 pm

Benji also needs support.Apart from Lawrence who was cleaned up yesterday the other are not ENTHUSIASTIC enough to run in support.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 6:54 pm

Agreed, but thats what happens when you rarely play with any enthusiasm or aggression.

Every single team in the competition runs harder and tackles harder than we do.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:04 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:Benji also needs support.Apart from Lawrence who was cleaned up yesterday the other are not ENTHUSIASTIC enough to run in support.
I understand that POV but honestly how many times this season have we seen him run across field and ignore every single guy running a hard angle to at the last minute hand it off to a centre or winger to get smashed??

Honestly it wouldn't suprise me if people just stopped doing it because he never passes it to the hard runner.

The worst thing about the attempted flick pass was that Latu and Brown had both run the perfect inside line so that at worst we had a two on one against Wesser and he still goes for the grand stand play. He plays dumb football and our coach is unwilling or unable to get him top have an element of consistency to his game. It is totally unacceptable that a top paid star is still repeating the errors he made in his debut seasons

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:09 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:MASSIVE difference between a flick pass to Pat Richards...............and a flick pass to Mitch Brown.

No disrespect to Mitch, but Pat is 100 times better all round. Mitch was never going to catch that.

Benji needs to mature fast. He needs to realise what is / what is not a risk worthy play.
That flick pass to Brown went a fair way and low. The one to Richards went a couple of meters. What was wrong with another kick?

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:38 pm

smeghead wrote:
Magpie Magic wrote:Benji also needs support.Apart from Lawrence who was cleaned up yesterday the other are not ENTHUSIASTIC enough to run in support.
I understand that POV but honestly how many times this season have we seen him run across field and ignore every single guy running a hard angle to at the last minute hand it off to a centre or winger to get smashed??

Honestly it wouldn't suprise me if people just stopped doing it because he never passes it to the hard runner.

The worst thing about the attempted flick pass was that Latu and Brown had both run the perfect inside line so that at worst we had a two on one against Wesser and he still goes for the grand stand play. He plays dumb football and our coach is unwilling or unable to get him top have an element of consistency to his game. It is totally unacceptable that a top paid star is still repeating the errors he made in his debut seasons
Smeg, I agree and would go further. I reckon he is making more errors than in his debut season.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:41 pm

Magpie69 wrote:
Year of the Tiger wrote:Benji could have sealed the game a number of times. He is arrogant at times and it costs us - BIG TIME
Seriously, if you think Benji COST us the game, Did you see our number 5 play????

Give me a beak!!!
Touche

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 7:49 pm

I think anyone pointing ANY blame at Benji is way off the mark. Our forward pack got smashed and out enthused by an opposing pack which was half over aged park footballers filling in. When does Benji ever get the ball on the back of a good platform when our forwards are running straight and hard and penetrating the defence, the answer is very rarely if ever. Put Benji 5/8 in a side like the Dragons who have a good aggressive forward pack who put them on the front foot and he`s be man of the mtach every week.

I`m a fan of Rob Lui but he simply hasn`t adjusted to playing halfback, not in our side anyway.

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:25 am

when Benji makes these amzing passes or plays people love him, the commentators love him, everyone loves him. But as soon as he does it and it doesnt stick people are quick to jump on him.. You just had to listen to the tossers commentating the game. How many times they said "DID THAT NEED TO BE PASSSED" or something along those lines. Its the way BENJI plays.. so people need to take it as it is.. not all things are going to stick...

Benji is Benji...... very simple.. dont try and change something cause it isnt always 100% perfect

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:33 am

Couldnt have said it better myself Troy.

Mulga Bill

Post by Mulga Bill » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:37 am

Mattie13 wrote:The only thing Benji needs is a decent number 7 that can organise and and give him room. Lui just goes missing too much during the game. Inexperience? maybe, it is the number on reason we can't close out games and can't match it with the big boys like the Dragons. On the flip side I have confidence once it clicks there is no stoping us. Time is running out fast though.
Spot on !!!
Black & Gold will never fold.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:42 am

Does Lui go missing or is he left out of the play?

I use to think the former but watching Saturday nights game again it became clear it was Benji & Robbie doing what they wanted when they wanted and Lui was rarely in the loop. Several times he had his side structured and the ball always hit Benji be it on a narrow blind or from the middle of the field.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 8:44 am

If i was his coach i'd hook him and if i was his team mate i'd give him the biggest spray every time he attempted one of his highlight reel flick/no look s*** passes.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 10:40 am

T-REXX wrote:when Benji makes these amzing passes or plays people love him, the commentators love him, everyone loves him. But as soon as he does it and it doesnt stick people are quick to jump on him.. You just had to listen to the tossers commentating the game. How many times they said "DID THAT NEED TO BE PASSSED" or something along those lines. Its the way BENJI plays.. so people need to take it as it is.. not all things are going to stick...

Benji is Benji...... very simple.. dont try and change something cause it isnt always 100% perfect
Rubbish. It is not good enough.

Fundamental, basic errors are not acceptable if they are repeated over and over again.

Nobody wants Benji to change his style, but he pushes things too far. Perfect example was the chip and regather - it was the third tackle and that pass DID NOT need to be thrown. It is unacceptable.

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 10:50 am

yet if it worked he would have been a legend..gimme a break..i didnt see u whinging a few weeks back when he kicked on the 2nd tackle and we scored. i dont see u whinging when he robbie kicked and chased on the 3rd a few weeks ago and we scored..
problem with people like your self is ur a sore looser,
look at this forum with people bagging the whole team.. amazing what happens when we loose.. even the people who useally play pretty well are getting bagged.

Beau, had a shocker... now people are having a go at him for doing that and comedy acts... yet nothing like this has been said during the winning periods.
Lote, all of a sudden slow and lazy.
Sheens, we loose and OF COURSE another thread comes up about him being sacked and the same people jump on the bandwagon... where were they in the last 8 weeks when we only lost two games.
LUI, well being half back, these supporters are always going to blow up arnt they.

People look for a reason to ridicule a side speically in low points..
last year we didnt make semis so people blew up
this year we WILL MAKE Semis, and yet people still blow up
Last year and year before we played nice attacking moves yet still didnt make semis.
This year since we arnt winning in attack but winning ugly you will whinge..

So in reality the only thing to keep the small minded supporters happy is if we had a team like ST GEORGE who are at the top of the table. being 2nd or 3rd or 4th JUST ISNT GOOD ENOUGH..

Pull ur heads in

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 10:53 am

Benji is developing nicely...

Without him we are stuffed..........simple
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 11:06 am

Geo, you need to get a FACEBOOK LIKE button here..

But "LIKE" your post.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 11:11 am

Why doesn't he try and step anymore? Doesn't he think he can stand anyone up?

I'd rather a step - at least if it doesn't come off then he only gets tackled.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 11:14 am

After reading T-REXX's post I thought of something....

We tried to be flamboyant again on the weekend rather than winning ugly, look where that got us - straight back to the teams we were in years gone by.

Lets play more reserved and "boring", at least then we are winning. Look at Saints, they are great at boring!