Blocker Roach challenges Wests Tigers to get tough in fight

innsaneink

Blocker Roach challenges Wests Tigers to get tough in fight

Post by innsaneink » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 8:24 am

BALMAIN legend Steve Roach has called on the Wests Tigers to make a physical statement today as they fight for a home final.

Roach has put the blowtorch to the Tigers pack ahead of the battle of the west, saying it will take more than razzle dazzle football against Penrith at Campbelltown Stadium.

After last week's golden-point loss to South Sydney and unimpressive wins against North Queensland and Cronulla, the Tigers face their toughest test in a month against the second-placed Panthers and their monster pack today.

Roach, one of the game's most intimidating frontrowers during his 185-game first grade career over 10 years at Balmain in the 1980s and '90s, says it's time for the Tigers to prove they're not just a one-trick pony.

"I worry about the Tigers when they play big, physical packs," Roach said.

"I love the style of play ... and they love throwing the football around, but the other half of the game is being able to defend and trying to intimidate the opposition.

"I just don't see that in their mindset and they're my team, I love them.

"But this week we've got to match the Panthers physically.

"They're one of the two biggest packs in the competition along with Canberra.

"We need to prove to ourselves and our fans and people that follow us that we can take it to opposition teams."

A glance at the two packs for western derby shows the Tigers weighing in a combined 31kg lighter than their Penrith counterparts.

The Tigers have three players - hooker Robbie Farah (88kg) and backrowers Liam Fulton (89kg) and Chris Heighington (98kg) - under 100kg.

The Panthers only have one player, hooker Kevin Kingston (89kg), below the 100kg mark.

In the late 1980s, Roach combined with fellow internationals Paul Sironen, Benny Elias and Wayne Pearce to form one of the strongest packs in recent history.

And the former Test forward suggested the Tigers needed to send a message to their opposition from the opening whistle.

"We can take it to them razzle dazzle-wise, but how about we take it to them physically," Roach said.

"Tim Sheens is smart enough, he'll know that we have to make it confrontational.

"We've just got to make a statement early in that game. If you go out and don't expect a physical confrontation you're in trouble. If you go out with that in your mindset, then you'll be ready to play."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/b ... 5905297706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The challenge has been thrown down, hopefully its FORWARD>> rather than side to side from the get go

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 8:44 am

Hope we can step up for this game and show who is the boss.. Afterall this is our home game .. The weather looks a bit sour bit its going to clear later..

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:13 am

I'm nervous about this one !

willow

Post by willow » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:59 am

tigeress wrote:I'm nervous about this one !
Same. The Tigers never really play well against the Panthers, poor handling and a lack of go forward as a result has been a problem for a number of years against the Panthers now. I hope that changes today, but I'm not confident.

Penrith will play the Tigers up the middle, with the size of their pack that is a forgone conclusion. Whether the Tigers can stop them is the big question.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:04 am

Agree with Blocker, if the Tigers are to make a run to the GF then they have to stand up against the Panthers to show they have it.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:21 am

Would love blocker brought into the coaching staff in some capacity, Des hasler gave him a lot of credit for their 2008 premiership win

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:57 pm

We have a big enough pack these days to compete with other teams, but our fowards just dont seem to have any depth when hitting the ball up, and get dominated easily causing slower play the ball and less meters. Not sure why they do it but i think Bryce & Payten are big enough to bend the line back and if they ran with more depth would, like Weyman and Petro do.

Tiger_heart

Post by Tiger_heart » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 1:02 pm

Penrith will play the Tigers up the middle, with the size of their pack that is a forgone conclusion. Whether the Tigers can stop them is the big question.[/quote]

On past performances, it has usually taken 1 opposition big forward to demolish our entire pack. I don't expect this to change at 3PM. Sadly.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 1:23 pm

I haven't seen it all year so i can't see it happening today.
Saying it and doing it are a worlds apart.
It should of happened last week, we should of been out for blood after what Souths did to us in round one, we should of went out there with the intention to really rip in in defence and make a statement but did it happen?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:08 pm

Well ......did anyone catch what Blocker said about the Wests Tigers performace today....

In particular ......in relation to heart....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong