Fifita first try

Tiger_heart

Fifita first try

Post by Tiger_heart » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 6:56 pm

Sure to be a talking point this week...for mine, a lose carry, you could see how disgusted he was at losing the ball that close to the line...

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 6:57 pm

Who was he trying to kid when he acted like he scored it??
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

willow

Post by willow » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:05 pm

Gus Gould clearly didn't agree with the decision but Fifita was a real handful today and deserved the 2 tries he did score.

Tiger_heart

Post by Tiger_heart » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:07 pm

willow wrote:Gus Gould clearly didn't agree with the decision but Fifita was a real handful today and deserved the 2 tries he did score.
No question on the merit based on performance, Willow...but taking the stripes or feathers off, can you honestly disagree with Gus on this occasion?

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah probably shouldnt have been a try but ive seen them rule in the attacking teams favour before cause thats the rule.So technically it was a try.

Anyway you have to take the good with the bad and we have had some shockers go against us.

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:22 pm

Makes up for a few calls that went against us :)

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:24 pm

Thats not a try. The interpretation of the rule needs to be changed. It needs to be discretionary to the ref. In some instances, that needs to be a penalty.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:26 pm

Let the Panthers worry about that try. If we whinge about it, they will have nothing to whinge about!!
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:29 pm

Was scored by Robbie Farah...

I don't get what the fuss is about...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

jtigerman

Post by jtigerman » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:34 pm

I also don't know what the fuss is about. He was reaching out to score, the panthers player came from behind and played at the ball (which he was entitled to do) so from that point it was play on and it was ruled Farah grounded it first. So therefore a try.

Gus Gould just gets a bit carried away at times with his loose carries. If a player deliberately plays at the ball to knock it out then it shouldn't matter how loose of a carry it is.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:35 pm

According to the strict letter of the rules, and with the help of video technology, it is a try. Would it have been awarded pre video ref? No chance. The rules are being changed by stealth.

As with the tackle - these days the tackle isn't complete until the ref calls held or the ball carrier and the ball are lying on the ground. With Gordon's try, he would have been called tackled by Lui in the not so distant past.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:54 pm

The video ref must determine if the tackler was playing at the ball while making the tackle, or if it was just a loose carry during the tackle.
Both situations occur often in games, only one person knows 100% what he intended to do, the tackler.
Stripping rule needs work, but in this instance I think they got it right

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:59 pm

Geo. wrote:Was scored by Robbie Farah...

Pretty stupid telling all your team mates "yeah i scored it" when he knew he dropped it...
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 8:41 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:Was scored by Robbie Farah...

Pretty stupid telling all your team mates "yeah i scored it" when he knew he dropped it...

Yeah like that hasnt happened before.lol

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:01 pm

Allan Towle wrote:Thats not a try. The interpretation of the rule needs to be changed. It needs to be discretionary to the ref. In some instances, that needs to be a penalty.
So what you're saying is it SHOULDN'T be a try? I don't understand the fuss - the ball was clearly knocked out of Fifita's hands. If it happened anywhere else it would be six again. The Panthers player seemed to be clearly playing the ball, it came loose, Farah scored.

As usual the Badger got it right. The only referee in the comp with common sense.

The bigger issue is torso tries. It should be hands only.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:05 pm

no try
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:14 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Allan Towle wrote:Thats not a try. The interpretation of the rule needs to be changed. It needs to be discretionary to the ref. In some instances, that needs to be a penalty.
So what you're saying is it SHOULDN'T be a try? I don't understand the fuss - the ball was clearly knocked out of Fifita's hands. If it happened anywhere else it would be six again. The Panthers player seemed to be clearly playing the ball, it came loose, Farah scored.

As usual the Badger got it right. The only referee in the comp with common sense.

seemed to be clearly playing the ball
Only the player in question knows 100%
100s of times in tackles defenders hands make contact with the ball....there needs to be more emphasis on ball control...the rule needs work

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:30 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Any defender, given the opportunity, will try and dislodge the ball from the attacker's grasp. That was evident in two other tries that were scored today. The current rule, subject to interpretation, might throw up two different results, which is not just absurd, it's unprofessional. It's a laughable aspect of Rugby League, together with 'walking off the mark' and everyone's personal favorite, 'losing control at the play the ball'.

There are solutions for each of these anomalies, but no one from the NRL is prepared to discuss them, let alone effect changes. We're just forced to listen to the asinine ravings of the assembled Nine commentators. They are ugly aspects of an otherwise fluid game. I find it amusing that while there is no longer any sort of contest at the play the ball, the attacker still needs to be vigilant, since there are usually one or two sets of defenders hands on the ball. Stupidity, sheer stupidity.....