Fifita first try

TIGER

Re: Fifita first try

Post by TIGER » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:35 pm

My opinion on this is when defending your line you should be able to attack the ball however you can in an attempt to stop a player from grounding it, and in the process if the ball is dislodged then it's a lost ball from the attacking team NO TRY
I can't believe they gave that try! you could see Fafita on the replay filthy that he had lost it, he didn't get up appealing to the ref. Players know, and i'm sure if he's honest he'll admit he was surprised the try was awarded to Farah.

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:38 pm

i reckon it was a fair try. panthers guy was clearly trying to knock the ball out. the only issue i see is that the same thing could happen next week and be called no try.
had to laugh at the Penrith fan on Lumeah station (with the Tigers wife) - he had Pritchard and Farah in the double but threw it away thinking that Fifita had been awarded the try. Wasn't till the end he found out Farah had been given the try. Dumb arse was on his hands and knees but couldn't find his ticket again. hahahaha

GeorgeQ

Post by GeorgeQ » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:51 pm

I thought it was a try. I also thought it was a good contrast to Hayne's disallowed - correctly I believe - try on Friday night.

DB1

Post by DB1 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:53 pm

TIGER wrote:My opinion on this is when defending your line you should be able to attack the ball however you can in an attempt to stop a player from grounding it, and in the process if the ball is dislodged then it's a lost ball from the attacking team NO TRY
I can't believe they gave that try! you could see Fafita on the replay filthy that he had lost it, he didn't get up appealing to the ref. Players know, and i'm sure if he's honest he'll admit he was surprised the try was awarded to Farah.
If the defending team is allowed to attack the ball whilst defending their line, no matter how many players in the tackle, why should the attacking team be penalised for a knock on? at the very least it should be play on, and if thats the case TRY to Farah

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:08 pm

If your reaching out to ground the ball with it cupped in one hand and it gets knocked out by a defender deliberately or not to me you have failed to secure the ball, too bad no try. I agree with Gus 100% i don't care about the rule, just another way the video ref is ruining our game. You show a replay of that try once in normal speed to 100 rugby league fans who know the game and 99 will say he lost the ball. Maybe i'm crazy

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:20 pm

DB1 wrote:
TIGER wrote:My opinion on this is when defending your line you should be able to attack the ball however you can in an attempt to stop a player from grounding it, and in the process if the ball is dislodged then it's a lost ball from the attacking team NO TRY
If the defending team is allowed to attack the ball whilst defending their line, no matter how many players in the tackle, why should the attacking team be penalised for a knock on? at the very least it should be play on, and if thats the case TRY to Farah
If the defender is deemed to knock the ball on in his attempt to stop the try then it should be a line dropout.
Once the ball has been spilt it is dead no one can claim a try.

scarcev

Post by scarcev » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:26 pm

According to the rules of today it was a try, but having said that I dont like the rules of today.

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:30 pm

jtigerman wrote:I also don't know what the fuss is about. He was reaching out to score, the panthers player came from behind and played at the ball (which he was entitled to do) so from that point it was play on and it was ruled Farah grounded it first. So therefore a try.

Gus Gould just gets a bit carried away at times with his loose carries. If a player deliberately plays at the ball to knock it out then it shouldn't matter how loose of a carry it is.
quality explanation to those on the forum who apparently want their own team to lose unless they play like Gods!

plaudits

note: it also came forward directly off the defenders hand and backwards from Fifita - thus - play the f*** on!

sleet52

Post by sleet52 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:32 pm

This can all be explained using the simple words of Luke Lewis "It wasnt knocked out, it was a s**t carry." I understand why they gave it but dont agree with the rule. If that was against the Tigers id be filthy but it wasnt so :)

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:36 pm

sleet52 wrote:This can all be explained using the simple words of Luke Lewis "It wasnt knocked out, it was a s**t carry." I understand why they gave it but dont agree with the rule. If that was against the Tigers id be filthy but it wasnt so :)
lewis is a flip - he wasn't saying that about Daine or Pritch!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:36 pm

It was a Try....Video ref ruled strip play on ...It was then a Ref's call cause the vision didn't show Farah grounding the ball...Badger did see it....not sure Archer would have.....

The Wok overrules Gus....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:40 pm

why do so-called supporters whinge about a CORRECT decision that served our cause??????

this is so tiresome and pathetic I noi longer have words to describe the death-riding mongrels that plague these forums!

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:42 pm

Geo. wrote:It was a Try....Video ref ruled strip play on ...It was then a Ref's call cause the vision didn't show Farah grounding the ball...Badger did see it....not sure Archer would have.....

The Wok overrules Gus....
Wok defecates on Gus (as many would like to)!

scarcev

Post by scarcev » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:54 pm

redemption wrote:why do so-called supporters whinge about a CORRECT decision that served our cause??????

this is so tiresome and pathetic I noi longer have words to describe the death-riding mongrels that plague these forums!
settle precious, its called discussing footy, and has been going on since footy began.

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:23 pm

scarcev wrote:
redemption wrote:why do so-called supporters whinge about a CORRECT decision that served our cause??????

settle precious, its called discussing footy, and has been going on since footy began.
third with three weeks to go - 100% finals bound - and yet more despised by our own so-called supporters than the majority of grass-roots supporters????? what the f*** ******* ** **** *** *** ******?

you people need to get a grasp on reality & realise we exist in a competition that boasts a relativelky even talent-pool. we can and will not win every game (however we have even had great success against Melbourne in recent years despite the blatantly UN-even playing field in that case).

Respnding to some myths:

NO team is at their best every round - we DON'T "only win because out opposition played sh*t" (as per the catchcry of the archetypal death-rider) - we DO receive bad refs calls despite what Gus, Laurie or blind old Rabs would have you believe - we are NOT a poor/soft defensive forward unit - we are NOT a financial basket-case OR a corrupt pack of cheats - and we CAN BEAT ANYONE ON OUR DAY!

all is good - why are the kids sweating so badly that they need to take it our on their own boys?

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 12:31 am

Common Sense would make that a no try.

But there seemingly is no common sense with some rules in the NRL

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:36 am

It was definately a try. In this era and in any era, that is a try. A knock on is when you knock the ball on or when you drop it in front of you. When the ball gets knocked out of your hands deliberately, loose carry or not, it is not a knock on caused by you.

The term 'loose carry' is a joke.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:03 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:It was definately a try. In this era and in any era, that is a try. A knock on is when you knock the ball on or when you drop it in front of you. When the ball gets knocked out of your hands deliberately, loose carry or not, it is not a knock on caused by you.

The term 'loose carry' is a joke.

Absolutely correct. Enormous difference between 'dropped' and 'knocked out'. That begs another question viz. If the ball is deliberately played at by the defender, which it inevitably is, why does the referee not proclaim another 6 tackles, if it is retrieved by the ball carrier or one of his team mates?