Lui

softlaw

Lui

Post by softlaw » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:04 pm

Good on the young fella!
Some good ball playing.
Dropped the ball for that try but other than that solid.

(btw, I think he'd stopped Jennings or whoever it was and then Lawrence actually ran into Lui rather than the panther and broke his grip leading to that try just after half time)
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

mikey

Post by mikey » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:06 pm

He did some good things today and probably ended up with a positive ledger despite one or two errors. Keep it going young man! I want to be a fan!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:07 pm

Was waiting for it.....Just put Ellis in then ...thankyou Foxtel..

Much more involvement from Lui today....

Needs some help in defence....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:13 pm

softlaw wrote:Good on the young fella!
Some good ball playing.
Dropped the ball for that try but other than that solid.

(btw, I think he'd stopped Jennings or whoever it was and then Lawrence actually ran into Lui rather than the panther and broke his grip leading to that try just after half time)
It was Gordon and you were right. He had him and than Lawrence came in and fell off the tackle onto Lui.

I thought it was Lui's best game. He started poorly with a missed try but improved. I think it came when he attacked the line.

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:16 pm

I thought Lui was very good today. Generally looked quite dangerous in attack and wasnt to bad in defence. In regards to the Gordon try I thought that it was a poor miss from Lawrence after Lui was holding on. Hope Lui keeps the form going into the finals.

flash

Post by flash » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:23 pm

Great to see Lui more involved, the only time we looked a bit patchy in attack today was when Marshall handled the ball early. Marshall will start killing them with Lui doing the organising, those inside balls have become ahabit with Marshall and oposition defenders are just smashing those inside runners.
Great game by Beau Ryan also 2 great takes particularly the one where he got smashed by Luke Lewis most wingers would have dropped that one in that tackle.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:25 pm

Good with the ball but his defense is suss, the good side will work him over, but remember Lawrence was suss in defense in his first season and a bit and now is a sledge hammer. You can teach a bloke to tackle but you cant coach skill

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:47 pm

Like Gus mentioned... the Panthers were completely focus'd on shutting down Marshall and Farah... forgot about Lui completely and everytime he got the ball he had time to kill...

Still not sold... early the first half when he watched that Panthers player stroll past him and not give a stuff was really disappointing...

That said.. he played well and as long as he keeps taking on the line... it will greatly benefit the tigers... Marshall was brilliant today!
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 7:53 pm

Lui comes across as a very smart footballer. The way he drags defenders with him, can sell a good dummy and some of the passes he throws are just very well thought out and perfectly timed. That cutout pass to Ellis about 6 rounds ago was amazing.

Exactly what we need in a halfback. Keep working at it Rob!

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 8:27 pm

Defensively he is a massive liability and costs us at least a try a week with arm grabbing. His defence can only get better in the next couple of years, but he really needs some coaching in this area.

However he is deceptively good in attack when given a chance. IMO Benji and Robbie cut him out too often, they need to have a bit more faith in him. For starters he has a massive boot on him and he should be doing more kicking, especially bombs.

In the last few weeks he hasn't taken on the line enough, today he did exactly that and we reaped the rewards.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 8:28 pm

He still imo has a lot of work to do however today he looked a lot better at times.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 8:56 pm

Warming to Lui.

When he's got some room to move he looks very dangerous.

If the opposition concentrate containing Farah and Marshall then Lui has space and looks the goods. Can’t wait until we get a stable No. 1 as well. Brown did look solid today.

Once we have stable, 9-7-6-1 the attack will be very potent indeed.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:24 pm

I've always been a Lui fan. Today was his best game though. He can take on the line, drag players in, great off-load and good kicking game. I'm confident his defence will improve. He can tackle, just not all the time. There was one great second half effort that comes to mind, when he chopped someone's legs from under them in what was a promising panthers attacking move.

ps. i was really impressed with Brown today. I've not been a great fan of his on the wing, but I think he really put his hand up today. Been a long time since I've seen a fullback in the Tigers colours split the line bringing the ball back.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah he chopped down Waterhouse with ease. He needs to tackle like that more. The kid has bulk, he needs to use it. Remember, he could still be playing NYC. There aren't many NYC age players that have been in first grade all season.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 9:32 pm

I nearly gave up on this guy early on (Very unlike me)

But he did something that I dont recall him doing for ages if not ever.

He actually ran at the line...

This guy wasn't half bad.

Maybe Coach Sheens, The tigers Staff and the players are right and Rob Lui has a future @ #7 with the tigers.

This must be replicated in the next few games for the pressure to be reduced somewhat of Farah and Marshall.

For me its a pass mark for Rob Lui and my expectations have now gone up... Please exceed them.
UTT - Up The Tigers

Agitator

Post by Agitator » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:22 am

Well done R. Lui....your best game in first grade for mine! Yes you can improve your defense, but I am sure this part of your game will develop with experience and confidence. You should be proud of your performance today, remain humble and be hungry to replicate this sort of form week in and week out. Well done, keep it up and build on today’s fine effort.
Agitator
"Enough Said"

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 7:47 am

Played well after a few very poor weeks. Have to agree with the OP - Lawrence to blame for the miss, although Rob could have done better.

Still some ways to go but he is starting to look more assertive.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 8:21 am

Note Rob Lui is still only 20

Birthday = 23 February, 1990
UTT - Up The Tigers