A GREAT WIN FOR THE CLUB SAYS SHEENS

willow

Post by willow » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 1:19 pm

By Wayne Cousins
22/08/2010 8:18:18 PM
Wests Tigers Coach Tim Sheens described the 20-18 victory over Parramatta today as one of the club’s finest under his long coaching reign.

The most capped coach in the NRL, Sheens was proud of his side’s ability to overcome a heavy penalty count and a late comeback by the Eels to take the two points to move them into third position on the Telstra Premiership ladder.

“A 7-0 penalty count in the second half and the possession swung, so we had to hold on. We got a little luck with him (Luke Burt) missing that goal,’’ Sheens said.

“I thought overall we were the better side and I am pleased that we got away with what is a great win for the club.

“We had two disallowed tries and bombed two but we are creating stuff so that’s the main thing.

“We came here to play football today and we talked about it all week, not to just grind away as they are too strong of a side to do that.

“We wanted to play footy and we stuck to a game plan pretty well. We were disciplined in the first half but obviously the second half, they (the referees) weren’t happy with us.”

Captain Robbie Farah told reporters after the match that he was looking for some divine intervention when Burt was lining up for a penalty attempt that would have levelled the scores in the dying minutes.

“I just didn’t know how we got ourselves into that position really. I said a little prayer,’’ he said.

“I wasn’t expecting him to miss that in a million years. Burty has kicked some really important goals for Parra in the past.

“I think Sheensy was saying that his dead grandmother was up there and blew that gust of wind that made him miss.”

Sheens praised his forward pack on doing the hard work up to allow the backs to create the opportunities.

“Given our injuries with (Bryce) Gibbs out and our starting full-back out, I thought they really played well,’’ he said.

“Toddy (Payten) would have been my man of the match. I know there were lots of man of the matches in a game like that.

“Somebody has got to stand up to Moi Moi and I thought Toddy did it well.”

Sheens said he was confident full-back Wade McKinnon would return for next Sunday’s match against the Melbourne Storm at Leichhardt Oval.

“We were going to play Wade today but went for another week,’’ Sheens said.

“I think Bryce would give himself a chance to play. Read his twitter site. Maybe you (the media) will find out before I do.”

Footnote: The full post match press conference featuring Sheens and Farah will appear tomorrow on WTV.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 2:33 pm

right so Wade will be back next week, Brown to the bench then?

Hopefully Bryce will be back.

senexx

Post by senexx » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 9:34 pm

Sheens said he was confident full-back Wade McKinnon would return for next Sunday’s match against the Melbourne Storm at Leichhardt Oval.

“We were going to play Wade today but went for another week,’’ Sheens said.
For those that overlook it.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris