Mitchell try - whats the rule?

Robbie

Mitchell try - whats the rule?

Post by Robbie » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 3:17 pm

I know that this happens every week in one form or another and Mitchell would have scored anyway, but what is the rule regarding players from the attacking team pushing a player making the tackle??

As Lui was trying to make the tackle on Mitchell, Mannah came through and pushed Lui.

underdog

Post by underdog » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 3:20 pm

Its interesting thought ..

Must admit it crossed my mind as well, since it looked like Lui could have carried mitchell dead with the momentum they had and strength he showed, only to have tim mannah come in and effectively trip him up, thus grounding the ball....

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 3:34 pm

i'm pretty sure the rule is you can' timpede a tackler making a tackle you can however assist another player to get over the line by pushing him- i thought you could only do this by touching your own player not an opposition tackler

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 3:40 pm

Yeah I see some teams do it seemingly as a tactic almost every hit up. Personally I don't like it. Fair enough if you're trying to stop someone being pushed back but not to gain ground. I also hate it when players drag tacklers off the tackled player to speed up the play-the-ball. That should be a penalty.

Hbom

Post by Hbom » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 4:12 pm

Must have been dangerously close to a penalty IMO.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 4:18 pm

Robbie wrote:I know that this happens every week in one form or another and Mitchell would have scored anyway, but what is the rule regarding players from the attacking team pushing a player making the tackle??

As Lui was trying to make the tackle on Mitchell, Mannah came through and pushed Lui.
I just watched the game again and I must say that was the thought I had as well. I thought you could not impede someone attempting a tackle. It must have been very close to a penalty. Not saying that Lui would definitely have been able to prevent the try but it did look suspect.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 4:18 pm

I think Mannah was pushing Mitchell towards the line, not Lui. Nothing wrong with it.

However there should have been more Tigers there to help Lui

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 4:39 pm

I was hoping Mannah would've kept pushing them to the point where Mitchell was over the line.

Also, did Horo ground the ball on his try?

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 4:43 pm

Someone called in about it on Talkin' Sport (2SM).

They are going to raise it with BH when he comes on.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

scags

Post by scags » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 6:44 pm

if it was just mitchell and lui, i actually think lui would of had a pretty close chance of saving that try, one on one, it would of been totally different, lui looked to be getting under mitchell.

but boy that mitchell was a good sub for them, they lifted on the basis of his enthuisasm! If only daniela can do it for us, "if" he gets on the field.

farahfan

Post by farahfan » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 6:49 pm

i had a similar thought a while back
if what mannah did was allowed, does this mean players can starting forming mauls ala union
because as long as the ball carrier is moving forward the ref cant call held?