Has Marshall come of age?

Tiger_heart

Post by Tiger_heart » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 5:57 pm

Whilst it can still be rock and diamonds, based on the last few performances, he has certainly started to come into his own, taking the line on and drifting less across the field, making him an even more (consistently) dangerous player ...there is an aura of increased confidence about his play, IMHO

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 6:25 pm

At the start of the year he looked like the best player in the game. His year dropped off real badly.

He has started though to look like a complete playmaker. His recent performances have shown how good he is.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 6:38 pm

Not quite...but it's getting mighty close..

Another positive step in the evolution of Benji Marshall...Rugby League player....

Great game Benji...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Bismark

Post by Bismark » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 6:41 pm

Second half, off of a Lote kick return, he gets the ball and throws it to Ryan, which almost goes over the sideline. On our own 40 metre line, tackle 1.

Come of age? Really?

Today was a step in the right direction though.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 6:45 pm

He's showing improvement at the right time of year. With the injuries the Tigers are suffering, it's going to be very important for Farah and Marshall to step up and guide the team around the park today. Lui was a little quiet today and Farah was contained fairly well but fortunately Marshall was in another class compared to everyone else out there.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 6:47 pm

A GOOD performance from him today. He threw a couple of dud passes, but generally he played the percentages, executed plays well and was always in support when a team mate needed him i.e, the last try. And at times showed pure brilliance (the first try comes to mind). If he can just build off this game and find some sort of consistency, make no mistake, he'll be back in '05 form. I think as a player, he is still yet to come of age. At, 25 he's still a young player and has missed alot of football over the last 5 years. As I said, if he starts to play the percentages and produces the big plays only when needed, he will reach his peak as a footballer.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

MGB

Post by MGB » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 7:04 pm

I don't buy into the 'playing the percentages' style he has apparently adopted, at the time I thought it was complete bullsh*t, he was great today but he is still in instinctive platyer that will go for it when it's on. You can't train that out of him anyway, how could you?

BrissieTiger67

Post by BrissieTiger67 » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 7:07 pm

what i love is that marshall knows when he is really needed. When the team is on the back foot, flatlining and losing motivation marshall nearly always steps up for the team and for the fans. The guy is amazing!

were going to need that performance next week with the injuries and shifting were going to have to deal with.

go the tigers

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 7:26 pm

MGB wrote:I don't buy into the 'playing the percentages' style he has apparently adopted, at the time I thought it was complete bullsh*t, he was great today but he is still in instinctive platyer that will go for it when it's on. You can't train that out of him anyway, how could you?

Well, you can't have him trying to pull of flick passes, no look balls and dumb low percentage kicks every week, can you? For him to find some consistency he must play percentage football and ONLY pull off the big plays when required. And he needs to start taking on the line more if he's to reach his potential. Remember, when Marshall's not playing well, we usually aren't so we need him to lead from the front and play responsibly.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:12 pm

IMO he was not great at all last week, purely because he hardly took on the line.

This week, the complete opposite, ran at the line all day and looked dangerous every time he did.

You can always tell if he's in for a big game, in the first couple of sets he will take the line on at least once or twice.

Properossi

Post by Properossi » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:15 pm

Benji's performances on the field are getting better with each game, but what really impresses me is this young man's efforts off the field the way he handles himself and deals with the media and others especially sick kids is second to none. What a great ambassador for the Wests Tigers and Rugby League he is!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:16 pm

I hope not

I like him as he is

Tigermac

Post by Tigermac » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:45 pm

innsaneink wrote:Has Marshall come of age?

I hope not

I like him as he is

Too True :master:

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:58 pm

It is clear that Benji has also been working on his defence and goal kicking

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 9:05 pm

cunno wrote:it is clear that benji has also been working on his defence and goal kicking

good post and very true his defence has been very unnoticed and good of late.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 6:00 am

Bismark wrote:Second half, off of a Lote kick return, he gets the ball and throws it to Ryan, which almost goes over the sideline. On our own 40 metre line, tackle 1.

Come of age? Really?

Today was a step in the right direction though.
Blaming Marshall for that one? He passed it precisely where Ryan should have been. Ryan costs us every week by bit being positioned properly in attack.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 6:11 am

Hahaha

"You should be there so thats where I'm passing it" :lol:

Shouldnt he pass it to where the support actually is?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 7:51 am

innsaneink wrote:Hahaha

"You should be there so thats where I'm passing it" :lol:

Shouldnt he pass it to where the support actually is?
:lol: How long have you been watching Benji.....

The flick pass for his first try was a miracle.................catch by Brown....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...