Bench selection

watersider

Bench selection

Post by watersider » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 6:19 pm

There has been criticism of the bench all year.

I thought it was ironic that the first time Sheens went with an all forwards pack on the bench was also the match in which we desperately needed a back on the bench.

I've always thought it was wasteful to have a winger on the bench, this match proves how valuable it can be. Fitzy off the bench in extra time would have improved the side.

Is Fitzy back this week?

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 6:34 pm

watersider wrote: Fitzy off the bench in extra time would have improved the side.
Please tell me you are joking.

Fulton and Gibbs were both in doubt up until kick off and were well short of a gallop, so we needed an extra forward.

Fitzhenry adds absolutely NOTHING to our side.

watersider

Post by watersider » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 6:40 pm

Fitzy's speed out of dummy half and fresh legs is invaluable. His experience means that he can come into a game cold and perform well. He's never going to get much credit but he's rarely performed badly this year and has usually added something when called on.

I don't think we need another debate about the worth of fitzy though. I was talking more about playing a back off the bench. Who else do you choose for that role if not Fitzy?

I can understand also why the bench was chosen, I think four forwards on bench is a good idea even if there aren't forwards under an injury cloud. But last night's match proved how important having a flexible bench is.

Torbizlo

Post by Torbizlo » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 8:46 pm

i dunno about fitzy, but having someone like fulton in the size means we can switch him to the centers if there is an injury in the backs and put on a forward to cover for fulton.
i think sheens erred in leaving fifita on the bench for so so long.