Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 4

Wests Tigers National Youth Competition Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 5:20 pm

Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Tue 27 Mar 2018, 03:58 PM

Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Coach Craig Wilson has named his side to take on the Parramatta Eels this Easter Saturday for their Round 4 clash.

Kickoff for the match is at 3:00pm AEDT from Hillier Oval, Liverpool.

After three straight defeats to start the season, Wests Tigers will look to kick start their season this Saturday when they take on a Parramatta side also struggling in 2018 with just one victory so far.

Wilson has named a strong side for Saturday's game, with James Tautaiolefua and Liam Pakau returning to the starting side, while Riley Cheshire also starts up front alongside promising forward Thomas Mikaele.

WESTS TIGERS

1. Dylan Smith
2. Liam Pakau
3. James Tautaiolefua
4. Heath Gibbs
5. Connelly Lemuelu
6. Gus Garzaniti
7. Ben Stevanovic
8. Riley Cheshire
9. Jake Scott
10. Thomas Mikaele
11. Kane McQuiggin
12. Sam McIntyre
13. Alex Seyfarth

Interchange:
14. Ben Seufale
15. Harrison Leonard
16. Curtis Wilson
17. Edward Carter
18. Jarrod Spicer
19. Bennett Wheelhouse
23. Josh Bermingham

Coach: Craig Wilson

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 5:35 pm

Does anyone watch these games ? If so how is Mikaele going ? He looked like he was going to be a great player in the trials.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 6:24 am

Just down the road...might pop along to this one...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:31 am

How are all 4 of our development players going , they all had big wraps

McQuiggen ........I used to play schoolboy footy against a bloke of the same name

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:42 am

Smith is an extremely talented player.

Riley Cheshire is the big young recruit from Bathurst. I'll be watching to see how he performs. We need to bring in the raw bone tough kids from country areas. Who remembers Bruce McGuire, Bruce Sinclair and the uncle of the young forward playing for the Storm, Mark Stimson. From Nowra, Tamworth and Temora respectively. What has happened to our scouting in the country areas?

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 11:19 am

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:31 am

McQuiggen ........I used to play schoolboy footy against a bloke of the same name
Hard to say. WT haven't had anyone watch or provide any updates on any of the Flegg games this season so there's nothing to go off.

Don't think we'll get many updates on these guys this year unless someone from the forum goes to the game themselves and provides a summary for us.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 2:14 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 11:19 am
happy tiger wrote:

Hard to say. WT haven't had anyone watch or provide any updates on any of the Flegg games this season so there's nothing to go off.

Don't think we'll get many updates on these guys this year unless someone from the forum goes to the game themselves and provides a summary for us.
I think you are right I don't even think the Coach or anyone watches...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

willow

Post by willow » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 3:03 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:42 am

Riley Cheshire is the big young recruit from Bathurst. I'll be watching to see how he performs. We need to bring in the raw bone tough kids from country areas. Who remembers Bruce McGuire, Bruce Sinclair and the uncle of the young forward playing for the Storm, Mark Stimson. From Nowra, Tamworth and Temora respectively. What has happened to our scouting in the country areas?
I remember Bruce McGuire extremely well, I have one of the old Steeden leather footballs which I passed onto him when I was a kid growing up in Nowra and he got me the Balmain 1988 teams signatures on it. Top bloke!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 4:34 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 2:14 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 11:19 am
happy tiger wrote:

I think you are right I don't even think the Coach or anyone watches...
I wouldn't be surprised.

Almost a month into the season, one of only 2 teams the club runs, and not a single article on the team other than the tuesday afternoon team announcements. No score summaries. No player profiles.

Wests Tigers have obviously given up on the concept of Jersey Flegg this season. No other club in the NRL has provided zero coverage of their team in this competition. It seems odd to me.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 5:47 pm

Maybe its because the comp is now run by the NSWRL, not NRL affiliated anymore

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 12:42 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 5:47 pm
Maybe its because the comp is now run by the NSWRL, not NRL affiliated anymore
How would that impact on Wests Tigers' decisions relating to what content we add to our website and social media channels?

This is solely a WT issue.

(And yes I acknowledge Flegg has rightfully been usurped by ISP as the second main league competition in NSW. U20s players shouldn't be placed on a pedestal like NYC did. That still doesn't explain WT dropping all coverage of the competition, even if most fans don't know anyone outside of the NRL squad)

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 1:38 pm

Why shouldn't we aim to be like clubs like the Panthers? They're the benchmark at junior footy in Australia imo. They do have a superior junior base to us, but there's more we can do.

For example, they have video highlights of each of their Flegg games. I'm not even suggesting we go to that effort, but in comparison we look like rank amateurs. Let's be the best we can be!

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news ... s-round-3/

willow

Post by willow » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 9:40 pm

Eels defeat Wests Tigers in Jersey Flegg
Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Sat 31 Mar 2018, 04:40 PM

Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg side have suffered a tough defeat at the hands of the Parramatta Eels on Saturday afternoon, going down 22-8 at Hillier Oval in Liverpool.

Still searching for their first win of the 2018 season, Craig Wilson's side threatened at times to steal the lead but were unable to deliver in the key moments and eventually slumped to a fourth straight defeat.

The result leaves Wests Tigers second last on the Jersey Flegg ladder alongside the winless Sea Eagles and Warriors — the latter of whom they will face next Saturday afternoon at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

After a tight start from both sides, Parramatta would post first points through Tuimavave Afualo before late inclusion Ethan Parry doubled the lead soon after. Sharp kicking from Dylan Brown would give the Eels a 12-0 lead after 22 minutes of play, before James Tautaiolefua would get one back on his opposite number — crashing over four minutes later to leave the Eels' lead at eight points with the missed conversion.

Wilson's side tried to stay in touch with their opponents as the match wore on, but a crucial try before half-time to Michael Cheer saw the Eels' lead extended beyond two tries at Hillier Oval.

Tautaiolefua's second try of the afternoon gave the hosts a sniff of a comeback with 20 minutes remaining and the score at 18-8, but a classy try from fullback Haze Dunster once again kept the Eels' motoring forward and would ensure that they finished the day with the two points in tow.

The two senior sides of both clubs will face off at ANZ Stadium on Monday with the Intrust Super Premiership game kicking off at 1:45pm before the NRL match at 4:00pm (both live on Fox League).

Parramatta Eels 22 (Afualo, Parry, Cheer, Dunster tries; Brown 3/4 goals) def. Wests Tigers 8 (Tautaiolefua 2 tries; Tautaiolefua 0/2 goals) at Hiller Oval

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 10:05 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:42 am

What about Bruce Gibbs from Oberon.