11 in a row

Wests Tigers National Youth Competition Discussion
Balmain Boy

11 in a row

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 12:12 pm

If anyone cares, our Flegg boys lost their 11th game in a row to the Dragons. 22-10 i think it was.

This team is an embarrassment to the club. It would be decades since we've had a team perform this poorly at this level (for WT, BT or WSM).

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 4:44 pm

Wests or Balmain BB ??

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:11 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 4:44 pm
Wests or Balmain BB ??
Jersey Flegg/Under 20s/Wests Tigers
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:27 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 12:12 pm
If anyone cares, our Flegg boys lost their 11th game in a row to the Dragons. 22-10 i think it was.

This team is an embarrassment to the club. It would be decades since we've had a team perform this poorly at this level (for WT, BT or WSM).
These guys are kids still learning the game, Im sure theyre giving it their best with whats available to them.
Pretty poor form calling them an embarrasment...get a grip.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 6:17 pm

Bit harsh there. They are struggling yes but they are showing up every week giving their all. They’ve had a few disruptions to the team and some players haven’t come along as expected due to injury or other factors.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 04 Jun, 2018 9:04 pm

Bring back Jacob Giles
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:45 am

I'm sorry, if you don't think losing 11 games in a row is embarrassing and not good enough then you clearly have no ambition.

I'm not blaming the players themselves so much, i'm sure they are all giving there all, no doubt. However it's apparent the team is of a quality far below every single side in the competition. And that's not good enough.

We have a massive junior base and the ability to recruit top young players, as we have done for the past few decades. Sure recruitment might get it wrong from time to time, resulting in a poor season, but this is 2 years in a row with an obviously inadequate squad.

I hope some of these kids come home strong in the second half of the season and we can end up getting a few wins!

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:53 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:45 am
I'm sorry, if you don't think losing 11 games in a row is embarrassing and not good enough then you clearly have no ambition.

I'm not blaming the players themselves so much, i'm sure they are all giving there all, no doubt. However it's apparent the team is of a quality far below every single side in the competition. And that's not good enough.

We have a massive junior base and the ability to recruit top young players, as we have done for the past few decades. Sure recruitment might get it wrong from time to time, resulting in a poor season, but this is 2 years in a row with an obviously inadequate squad.

I hope some of these kids come home strong in the second half of the season and we can end up getting a few wins!

If they are supposed to be our "future" NRL stars, given we have a develop our own policy rather than recruit...the future looks bleak for our NRL squad!!!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:53 pm

Haven't the Tigers stated they might be moving away from stacking the junior sides and instead picking up talented players from all over the country?

I recall the complaints of previous seasons of Saints, Penrith, Tigers of the huge cost to maintain these large junior bases, only for other clubs to just come in and cherry-pick the best players as they come to grade age.

We hard some barnstorming Balmain SG Ball teams in 2012-2013, where are those players all now? Mitchell Moses - gone. Manaia Cherrington, Nathan Milone, Mason Farrell, Matt Woods, Andrew Kazzi, Daniel Rakvin, Salesi Funaki, Fosio Tatola, Junior Tatola, Tom Satterthwaite, Jaleel Seve, Rhys Armstrong, Jeremy MK, Pio Sokobalava, Tyler Cassel, Jayden Wheelhouse etc.

Basically hardly anyone has gone on to a meaningful FG career except Moses, and the 2012 team were national champions. Junior Tatola and JMK just making something of a go this year, but everyone else has moved on.

I understand the concern, but so long as we pick up some talented juniors from somewhere, don't have to be local, then the outcome would appear to be the same. In days gone by, having a local junior meant a lot, but it's next to meaningless these days. Our standout juniors, most of them ended up leaving anyway.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 6:16 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:

This team is an embarrassment to the club.
Sure looks to me like youre blaming the players...and you have the hide to accuse others of having no ambition because you go off half cocked

They lost by two tries last week

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 6:46 pm

It's not like they're getting towelled up every week. I'm sure they'd love a win.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:50 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 6:16 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

This team is an embarrassment to the club.
Sure looks to me like youre blaming the players...and you have the hide to accuse others of having no ambition because you go off half cocked

They lost by two tries last week
Mate i'm not blaming the kids, i'm blaming the system and stating how I hope we are actually doing something about it this time.

Same as if hypothetically the club squad signed Tali, Price, Heleta, Epere, Faull to NRL contracts and we were playing them each week in the top grade and were losing week after week. You can't blame the players picked if they just aren't up to that level, you blame the system that put them in that position in the first place.

We don't have to win the comp in all grades every year, and no the boys aren't getting thrashed, but with our nursery we should at least be able to win the odd game here and there. I'm more than happy for us to cherry pick other team's junior talent too - if we do start doing that (we haven't yet). Rumours of signing Oliver Clarke would seem to continue the trend of signing offcuts rather than other team's young stars