Shot on Lote

ImageImageImage
Saturday 25 September 2010 7:30PM
ANZ Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
Cats Fan

Re: Shot on Lote

Post by Cats Fan » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 9:19 pm

supercoach wrote:Even if Haynes didnt have the guts what about his mate upstairs. You lead with your knees its a penalty even if it was just careless. Just like the chooks game, when it got close the rule book went out the window. Its a sad day when a team that plays the most negative football is gifted a ride into the grand final
Totally agree.

I don't believe there was intent, but if you hit someone with your knees leading into a tackle, it should be a penalty everyday of the week. :deadhorse:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 9:28 pm

Our boys got knocked out last night, us fans hurt with our team too last night.

This garbage today - 16 or so hours later - from the MRC is a kick in the teeth to the club, players and supporters.

Up yours NRL! POST EDITED BY ADMIN

Delahunty

Post by Delahunty » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:43 am

NRL match review chairman Greg McCallum has defended the crucial refereeing decision not to penalise Jeremy Smith in Saturday night's preliminary final despite slapping the St George Illawarra lock with a kneeing charge.

In a development which will come as little comfort to the Wests Tigers after they bundled out of the title race courtesy of their 13-12 loss to the Dragons, Smith was hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge following a 73rd minute incident which left Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri with suspected broken ribs.

The charge won't stop Smith from playing in Sunday's NRL grand final provided he takes the early guilty plea, the same scenario facing Sydney Roosters five-eighth Todd Carney after he was handed a careless high tackle charge for his hit on Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince.

But the Smith no-penalty ruling by on-field officials Ben Cummins and Shayne Hayne - as well as video referee Steve Clark who had ample opportunity to review the incident as Tuqiri sought treatment - left Tigers officials privately incensed.

The game was tied at 12-all when Smith got Tuqiri late, and while it would have been a tough attempt, was within range for Tigers goalkicker Benji Marshall for what could have been a match-winning lead.

As it was Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward snapped a field goal to give the minor premiers their first lead of the night just a minute later, but McCallum - himself a former top grade referee - refused to be critical of the whistleblowers.

"I think that's really unfair on referees where they're in a position to make decisions quickly," McCallum told AAP on Sunday.

"We spent 40 minutes on that this morning and we looked at it from all angles, we compared it to other incidents where there's been a charge.

"Our view is that we make the decision based on what we see and I think it's unfair to draw a line to say that it should have been dealt with on the field any other way than what it was."

Asked about the tackle after the game, Tigers coach Tim Sheens did his best to hide his frustrations.

"He had to come off - that's all I can say," Sheens said of Tuqiri.

"I'm not going to bring it up - what's the use, what's it going to do, there's no next week for us."

Meanwhile Dragons hooker Dean Young has escaped sanction over an alleged racial comment directed towards Tigers skipper Robbie Farah.

On-field audio failed to pick up comments made during the altercation between the pair, the match review committee left with little option but to clear the Dragons No.9 when the Tigers declined to make an official complaint.

Farah declined two opportunities to make a complaint to on-field referee Ben Cummins, but could be heard later accusing Young of calling him a "f***ing wog."

"The on-field audio provided no evidence to confirm if any comment had been made," the match review committee said in a statement.

"The on-field audio does contain an accusation from Farah and a denial from the St George Illawarra player.

"The Wests Tigers have today declined a request to provide any further information that may assist the match review committee.

"Having assessed all the available information, the match review committee does not believe there is sufficient evidence to warrant a charge."

Re Above: "Really unfair on referees to make a decision quickly". UMM reality check - Thats what their paid to do at an ELITE Level. Blow the whistle when there is an infringment, which the MRC & every spectator knew there WAS. And then the Video ref not to call it?. Don't treat us like IDIOTS.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 2:29 am

Doublethink. We've charged him over the incident, but not penalising him is a reasonable action by the refs. And up is down.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 4:38 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:Doublethink. We've charged him over the incident, but not penalising him is a reasonable action by the refs. And up is down.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 15sjf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he is dirty that the refs didn't call the penalty but wouldn't say so because it was a finals game. I am sure Finch thought it should have been a penalty as well or he would have commented. The appointments this week will tell the true story. If none of the 3 get the Grand Final it will be because of the decision not to give the penalty.

Did anyone with sports ears know what the video ref said to the ref about the knees?

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 6:26 am

//"I think that's really unfair on referees where they're in a position to make decisions quickly," McCallum told AAP on Sunday.//

awww diddums.........it wasn't exactly a quick decision..... they were standing around for some time

willow

Post by willow » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:09 am

Wests Tigers angry over 'no penalty' call after Jeremy Smith kneed Lote Tuqiri

* Dean Ritchie and Christian Nicolussi
* September 27, 2010 12:00AM

WESTS Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys last night claimed the match official's failure to award his side a crucial penalty for a blatant knee on winger Lote Tuqiri had "monumental consequences " in Saturday night's grand final qualifier.

Dragon Jeremy Smith was yesterday charged with grade one dangerous contact for his knee to Tuqiri's back but will be free to play in Sunday's grand final against the Roosters with an early guilty plea.

Roosters five-eighth Todd Carney was handed a similar fate, free to play after being charged with only a grade one careless high tackle for his hit on Scott Prince last Friday.

Dragons hooker Dean Young is also free to play after escaping a charge of alleged racial vilification due to a lack of evidence.

Tigers hooker Robbie Farah had alleged on Saturday night Young called him a "f ... ing wog" but then declined to make a formal complaint.

The Tigers remain furious at the Smith case, however. Despite being charged, the Dragons forward was not penalised or placed on report by the referees or video referee.

Wests Tigers players and officials remain filthy they did not receive a penalty at a kickable spot in the 73rd minute when the scores were locked at 12-all.

An angry Humphreys told The Daily Telegraph: "It [Smith's charge] obviously confirms the fact that a penalty goal should have been awarded which would have changed the whole flow of the game and more than likely the result.

"It's not sour grapes but unfortunately it's another example of the game's officials being unwilling to deal with incidents at the crucial moments in big games, with monumental consequences for all concerned."

Tigers assistant coach Royce Simmons was also stunned that a penalty was not awarded after the tackle, which left Tuqiri with suspected broken ribs.

"Saints have been the best side all season and they deserve to be in the grand final," said Simmons, who departs for St Helens next month.

"But if you're asking me about Lote, well yes, I thought it was definitely a penalty. I even jumped on the radio to [fellow assistant] Peter Gentle and told him to make sure we took the two points."

Marshall was actually preparing for the penalty goal attempt.

"I was psyching myself up because I'd been practising from there to take a couple of penalties," Marshall said. "There's nothing we can do now."

Tuqiri stood in the shower for half an hour as he tried to deal with the pain.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:30 am

I just hope the Dragons lose on Sunday because of a referee's decision.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:37 am

From the Sydney Morning herald website:

Former Balmain hooker Ben Elias attacked the decision not to penalise Smith, calling it ''the biggest joke of all time''.

''It was disgraceful and there's no doubt it lost them the game,'' he said. ''It was just blatant. If you saw the same tackle 10 times over, he'd be penalised 10 times. Now the season's gone. Fair dinkum, I find that disgusting.''

Good to see Benny firing up on the subject.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:53 am

"It's not sour grapes but unfortunately it's another example of the game's officials being unwilling to deal with incidents at the crucial moments in big games, with monumental consequences for all concerned."

yes and it needs to be dealt with so we don't go through the same crap next year.

tw33k

Post by tw33k » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:22 am

We've been on the receiving end of bad calls all through the finals. It cost us the game against the Roosters and now this! I can handle a loss if we deserve to be beaten but being beaten like this is very hard to swallow.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:23 am

This season was the first where my enthusiasm for NRL and my team through no fault of their own started to wane.....the constant [automatically edited] up by the refs just frustrate the hell out of me
Just feel so bloody helpless, angry and ripped off.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:05 am

Tigerdave wrote://"I think that's really unfair on referees where they're in a position to make decisions quickly," McCallum told AAP on Sunday.//

awww diddums.........it wasn't exactly a quick decision..... they were standing around for some time
what the..... you are dead set kidding McCallum, they replayed it 10 times, waited minutes for Lote to get up and yet that is making a decision quickly ? If the Spray Tan Kid needs more time than that to make a decision then heaven help us.

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:30 am

I've said this before on this forum a week or so ago.
I don't believe that they can be that incompetent. I think there's more to it.
Whether its intentional or sub-consious they definantly favour one side over the other.
This wasn't our turn.

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:44 am

"I think that's really unfair on referees where they're in a position to make decisions quickly," McCallum told AAP on Sunday.
Well guess what, that's their JOB. If you can't do it, find another profession.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:09 am

Muffstar wrote:
Tigerdave wrote://"I think that's really unfair on referees where they're in a position to make decisions quickly," McCallum told AAP on Sunday.//

what the..... you are dead set kidding McCallum, they replayed it 10 times, waited minutes for Lote to get up and yet that is making a decision quickly ? If the Spray Tan Kid needs more time than that to make a decision then heaven help us.
Pretty daft comment from McCallum eh?

I don't mind losing, but stuff like this really gets under my skin and as I said before, right now, there's no reason to think this crap won't happen again next year. I have no faith in the current management of refs nor the NRL quite frankly.

I'm not too sure how the independent commission will go either.

Poor decisions nearly cost us the Raiders game too.....

wicked_j

Post by wicked_j » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:14 am

we should all contact the NRL and ask for out money back, for both games. We paid to see the better team win, not to see the referees determine the result

Delahunty

Post by Delahunty » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:22 am

"Sour Grapes" & "Spilt Milk" will be the public sentiment & nothing will change. Well its crap. They saw it 10 times. Lote has broken ribs and was writhing on the ground. Its been penalised post match by the Officiating commitee, confirming the whistle should have been blown. The scrum at the roosters match was almost as bad. But we're expected to put up and shut up.

I for one hope BOTH the dragons and the Roosters LOSE on the weekend. Althought seeing those fat REPTILES choke again might offer some condolence.