Rob Lui came of age last night

ImageImageImage
Saturday 25 September 2010 7:30PM
ANZ Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
Newy Tiger

Re: Rob Lui came of age last night

Post by Newy Tiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 9:53 am

best player on the park for us last night IMO he was brilliant attackingly and defensively I have been critical of him but now I know what he is capable of and it excites me he is only going to excel next season.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:34 am

Top game once his defence gets better and he develops a good kicking game he'll be the complete halfback.
We really need someone who can take control of our kicking it's costing us a lot.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:45 am

Benji Marshall won us a Premiership in his 2nd year with guidence and steady influence of Scott Prince...

I have a feeling Robert Lui will play a major role in winning us a Premiership in his 2nd year with guidence and steady influence of Benji Marshall?!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:27 am

AmericanHistoryX wrote:thank you Robert Lui!
couldnt've put it better myself.
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:27 am

Sheens needs to start giving him more responsibility imo....a normal stage in his progression and development, I still think hes playing second fiddle a bit. More is yet to come.
Big big raps from the best half ever last night and again this morning, good enough for me.

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:30 am

Tiger Watto wrote:Benji Marshall won us a Premiership in his 2nd year with guidence and steady influence of Scott Prince...

I have a feeling Robert Lui will play a major role in winning us a Premiership in his 2nd year with guidence and steady influence of Benji Marshall?!
hopefully he wont get 2nd year syndrom :pray:

i pray that you are right Tiger Watto
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:56 am

wait wtf is going on,i thought everyone hated him and now everyone loves him ??
its the same with Ayshford u guys change your mind more than anyone ive seen :lol:

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:24 pm

Robbie Lui was my player of the finals campaign.

I am very excited with his potential and yes I was a knocker early in the season. With all of this years experiences and a full offseason with the boys, some of which will be playing internationals, he could be anything next year.

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:12 pm

X-Pac wrote:wait wtf is going on,i thought everyone hated him and now everyone loves him ??
its the same with Ayshford u guys change your mind more than anyone ive seen :lol:
I think everyone has a new respect for young Lui after he was able to really step up on such an occasion.

Illek

Post by Illek » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:56 pm

southerntiger wrote:Cometh the hour cometh the man. He was the Man of the Match tonight - daylight second.
Do you remember the beginning of the year when we seemed to be the only two supporting him over moltzen? I love that finally one of my calls has actually been right, its a nice change haha

The guy has talent, and I think he will be great, but the same can be said for moltzen, so interesting times ahead.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 3:37 pm

X-Pac wrote:wait wtf is going on,i thought everyone hated him and now everyone loves him ??
When they play well they will get praise. When the play poor they will get criticism, for the most part constructive. Nothing simpler than that.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 4:49 pm

It leaves us with a slight dilemma in our halves with Moltzen coming back.

But in a way I think there is a simple solution. Leave Lui at number 7 and have Moltzen come off the bench and play a Craig Wing type of role.

When you look at Wing's career progression, its very similar to Moltzen in a way. Initially Wing was a back and when he first joined the Roosters, he played fullback, he struggled in that position and copped some criticism. After that he mixed between a running half and a bench utility who can make an impact at hooker with his speed, he also played some Tests out in the centres as well. You look at Moltzen, he's played fullback, he plays a running half role, he can play in the centres and he has a lot of speed as well.

I reckon he would be an ideal impact/utility player who can take the pressure off the halves and maybe even give Farah a rest if needed.

Atm I would go:

1. Brown
2. Tuqiri
3. Lawrence
4. Ayshford
5. Tuiaki/Ryan/Daniela - Depends on fitness and form

6. Marshall
7. Lui

14. Moltzen
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 5:31 pm

Illek wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Cometh the hour cometh the man. He was the Man of the Match tonight - daylight second.
Do you remember the beginning of the year when we seemed to be the only two supporting him over moltzen? I love that finally one of my calls has actually been right, its a nice change haha

The guy has talent, and I think he will be great, but the same can be said for moltzen, so interesting times ahead.
It wasnt lost on me Illek.

A few other players bagged on here by the experts - Mitch Brown for one - have turned in very good seasons.

But Im not one to worry about being right or wrong. If am right that a player will develop and I am wrong that a player will not, then I am a happy man.

Golden

Post by Golden » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 5:35 pm

I got a bad feeling because of this we will lose Moltzen to the raiders or something like that

I really don't know how we can handle this most teams have a utility player on the bench Moltzen could be ours but where could he come on in a game? ours only sit on the bench unless their is a injury

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 5:37 pm

I am still hoping Sheens can convert Moltzen to fullback as originally planned. If he can improve his bomb reception and kick returns he would be sensational fullback and we would have an amazing backline. That plan, more than ever, makes perfect sense.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:10 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Illek wrote:

It wasnt lost on me Illek.

A few other players bagged on here by the experts - Mitch Brown for one - have turned in very good seasons.

But Im not one to worry about being right or wrong. If am right that a player will develop and I am wrong that a player will not, then I am a happy man.
Please, you were bagging Lui only a few weeks ago. And you compared Moltzen to Jeff bloody Robson at the start of the season.

I call it as I see it and am very glad to be proven wrong. E.g I thought Ayshford should have been dropped earlier in the year, but his end to the season was fantastic.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:23 pm

yeh I did say Lui put in a poor performance about 5 weeks ago - which he did. But he hit back well and good on him.

Ah you keep bringing up my Moltzen played like Robson performance despite the fact I was only referring to one game and Tim was very poor in that game. Funnily enough if Moltz had been fit this year I would have played him ahead of Lui for the whole season. My whole point was that I wasnt convinced Moltz was the permanent solution to our 7 woes and I could see what Tim was trying to achieve in turning him into a fullback even though, as a lot of people point out, he has a lot flaws at fullback. I also made the point that Lui was nowhere near as bad as some made out. Thats all I was ever saying.

We all make calls that turn out to be wrong Hybrid. I said Fulton had little to offer this year and was wrong. I like the fact you have an opinion about players. It would be a dull place otherwise. However, some of the criticism of young Lui at the beginning of the year (and Im not saying you) was completely uncalled for.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:28 pm

Fair enough, and yep, I don't recall ever criticising Lui heavily. I wanted Moltzen in there at the start of the year (mainly because he was truly horrible at FB, and if I had to watch him lose metres on a kick return any longer I would have a cardiac arrest before I turn 30), but Lui has really come of age at the back end of the season, and was outstanding last night.

Anyway, most clubs don't even have a single decent halfback. We have two. That also goes for alot of other positions as well. We have some great depth and I don't think many other clubs would have come this far with a crippling injury toll like we did.

Surely we are due for some luck with injuries, we have not had a good run since 2005.