Our kicking game

ImageImageImage
Saturday 25 September 2010 7:30PM
ANZ Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
TIGER

Our kicking game

Post by TIGER » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:25 am

Surprised no one has mentioned it because i believe it cost us the game.
It was a problem all year and last night proved the difference even after the penalty count.
We just never got any decent field position, never got a repeat set and the dragons slowly creeped their way down the field restarting their sets closer every time.
The tactic of running the ball before the kick went in was good, but the execution of the kick it self lost us the arm wrestle.
Is it me or does Farah seem to hit a defender alot when he tries to kick through the line.

I'm not at all mad about the loss because to be honest i thought we were lucky to even get in the top 4 the way we played this season, even thought we played our best footy towards the end i think the footy gods were definitely on our side in more than a few games earlier this year, so it was just good to finally see us in the semis and giving it a good shake.
I was filthy after that Roosters game because we plainly got dudded and i believe had we have won that we win the comp.
Our future looks bright. GO THE TIGES

izotope

Post by izotope » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:01 am

Our 5th tackle options lost us the game.. That simple.
tigers!

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:10 am

the kicking responsibility is the number 6 or 7 ....but we use the 9 that tells me sombody lacks confidence in lui in that department ....and your right it cost us big time

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:47 pm

It cost us the game?? Are you serious?

Benji's kicking game was absolutely spot on the whole game!! except where he kicked out on the full once at the crucial stage, he was on with his kicking boots yesterday!
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

izotope

Post by izotope » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:51 pm

I said 5th tackle options. Inside dragons 40 was horrid.
tigers!

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:58 pm

Some of Benji's kicks last night were amazing, backed into our own end and Benji would hit massive kicks to get us back on the front foot.

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:59 pm

tiger tigers wrote:the kicking responsibility is the number 6 or 7 ....but we use the 9 that tells me sombody lacks confidence in lui in that department ....and your right it cost us big time
Cam Smith kicks plenty for Melbourne even though Finch and Cronk are both very capable.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:00 pm

izotope wrote:I said 5th tackle options. Inside dragons 40 was horrid.
Yup long kicking game was excellent, our short kicking game may been pretty bad, but there is no way in hell, that KICKING cost us the game!!
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 3:18 pm

The kicking had nothing to do with us losing unless you are stating they kicked when they shouldn't.

Benjis kicking game was unbelievable. We were consistently getting smashed down our end and he would kick it a mile and find open space. Robbie had an off night with the boot however I don't think that it was a factor in the loss at all.

And for everyone blaming the coach for Robbie not kicking well or stating he kicks to much I think that is a joke. Robbie is one of the best kickers from dummy half in the game - he has a great short and long kicking game. I think every coach in the game would have Robbie being one of the main options when we need to kick.

izotope

Post by izotope » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 5:34 pm

tiger05 wrote:The kicking had nothing to do with us losing unless you are stating they kicked when they shouldn't.

Benjis kicking game was unbelievable. We were consistently getting smashed down our end and he would kick it a mile and find open space. Robbie had an off night with the boot however I don't think that it was a factor in the loss at all.

And for everyone blaming the coach for Robbie not kicking well or stating he kicks to much I think that is a joke. Robbie is one of the best kickers from dummy half in the game - he has a great short and long kicking game. I think every coach in the game would have Robbie being one of the main options when we need to kick.

yes robbie is normally a great kicker, unfortunately when we had very few chances on their try line. Robbie took the play himself and kicked it dead "twice". Both times our team had no idea what was on.

Im happy for him to continue kicking short, just unfortunate last night it didn't work for us.
tigers!

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:46 pm

Kicking was inconsistant throughout the year and poor last night.

We really miss a good number 7 to do that.

I think tries off kicks are the easiest tries you can get, there the gimmes almost. We seem to be able to score the spectactular tries but dont get the easy ones. Its been decent in games but im sure we would of scored the least amount of tries off kicks in the nrl (random statistic guess). Farahs kicking game was poor last night which was a shame.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 7:14 pm

Benji's loooooong kicking game has been fantastic for the past 2 months....He found the ground more often than not..

The chase is what let us down a little in the back end of second half against the Dragons....no wonder on the back of all the D they had to get through for the 1st 60 odd...

Another resason the return of Moltzen is exciting....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

willow

Post by willow » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 7:26 pm

Geo. wrote:Benji's loooooong kicking game has been fantastic for the past 2 months....He found the ground more often than not..

The chase is what let us down a little in the back end of second half against the Dragons....no wonder on the back of all the D they had to get through for the 1st 60 odd...

Another resason the return of Moltzen is exciting....
Agree, the long kicking was good, the chase at times was poor. Unfortunately with the poor field position for most of the match, the Tigers were pretty limited with their attacking kicks. I thought they played percentage kicking for most of the night, the couple of short kicks they did put in were either snuffed out, or there were no Tigers in support such as Benji's grubber and regather close to the line in the second half.

BigUnit

Post by BigUnit » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 7:41 pm

we didnt try one spiral bomb tonight which usually brings down snow with it. suprising really

barrytiger

Post by barrytiger » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 9:52 pm

tig_prmz wrote:It cost us the game?? Are you serious?

Benji's kicking game was absolutely spot on the whole game!! except where he kicked out on the full once at the crucial stage, he was on with his kicking boots yesterday!
agree the scared refs cost us the game