Our Tactics

ImageImageImage
Saturday 25 September 2010 7:30PM
ANZ Stadium
Television Coverage: Ch. 9 Live
Magpie Magic

Our Tactics

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:59 pm

Everyone has covered just about everything here very well and there is no doubt that the refereeing as well as some poor kicking in the second half was costly.

But on another level,I was a little dissapointed in our tactics.

We seemed to play a little too much of a grinding game (still nearly pulled it off) but in the end I feel we didn"t play to our strenghs enough.We were too flat in attack and didn"t chance our arm enough.

At the end of the day our strengh is our cutting edge attack and running teams around----even in our half and we didn"t do enough of it.When we did we made inroads.

Thoughts.

Leroy The Tigers Fan

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:07 pm

In hindsight whatever occurred between Robbie & Dean Young, it put Robbie off his game and we rarely had the spark in attack that we usually have which resulted in Benji turning the ball over and the Milkman gaining the crucial point.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:42 pm

We really struggelled to get good field possession. I think we needed to kick wider and put the ball out more often. It would have saved some more energy.

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:47 pm

leroy the tigers fan wrote:in hindsight whatever occurred between robbie & dean young, it put robbie off his game and we rarely had the spark in attack that we usually have which resulted in benji turning the ball over and the milkman gaining the crucial point.

ennis has used similiar tactics in the past with undoubted success.

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:49 pm

magpie magic wrote:everyone has covered just about everything here very well and there is no doubt that the refereeing as well as some poor kicking in the second half was costly.

But on another level,i was a little dissapointed in our tactics.

We seemed to play a little too much of a grinding game (still nearly pulled it off) but in the end i feel we didn"t play to our strenghs enough.we were too flat in attack and didn"t chance our arm enough.

At the end of the day our strengh is our cutting edge attack and running teams around----even in our half and we didn"t do enough of it.when we did we made inroads.

Thoughts.

our last tackle kicking options near their line were diabolical and not of under 17 standard.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:49 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:Everyone has covered just about everything here very well and there is no doubt that the refereeing as well as some poor kicking in the second half was costly.

But on another level,I was a little dissapointed in our tactics.

We seemed to play a little too much of a grinding game (still nearly pulled it off) but in the end I feel we didn"t play to our strenghs enough.We were too flat in attack and didn"t chance our arm enough.

At the end of the day our strengh is our cutting edge attack and running teams around----even in our half and we didn"t do enough of it.When we did we made inroads.

Thoughts.
We need to get a bit of go forward first to get our attack really effective, Saints defense was dominating and I think stifled our attack

Our defense was highly highly dangerous and physically taxing, it was impressive though

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:54 pm

magpie mania wrote:

our last tackle kicking options near their line were diabolical and not of under 17 standard.

Don't know about that MM...we only seemed to get close enough 5 times and scored twice...

Would love to know the inside 20 stats...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

farahfan

Post by farahfan » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:01 pm

i thought it was our defense that could have won (but ultimately lost us) the game

it was similar to the aggressive defense we used against manly last season when we beat them, this time we used it to put pressure on soward and stifle boyds' involvement and limit the depth of their backline in general

i thought it was effective, but our forwards were spent towards the backend of the second half

alex

Post by alex » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:06 pm

I was very impressed with our long kicking game. Turned their dangerous back two around quite alot.

What I noticed was how much effort they put into their kick returns. Boyd charges back at a million miles an hour. Not only that, but for the 2-3 hit ups following, they make an easy 10-15m each time. Before you know it, they're back in our half.

Again, our support play could've been a little better and our 5th tackle options were at times unorganised.

But hey, it all came down to one damn good field goal.

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:15 pm

alex wrote:i was very impressed with our long kicking game. Turned their dangerous back two around quite alot.

What i noticed was how much effort they put into their kick returns. Boyd charges back at a million miles an hour. Not only that, but for the 2-3 hit ups following, they make an easy 10-15m each time. Before you know it, they're back in our half.

Again, our support play could've been a little better and our 5th tackle options were at times unorganised.

But hey, it all came down to one damn good field goal.
the one problem i have with brown is unlike boyd he doesnt charge back with any ferocity.however browns positional play leaves a jarryd hayne for dead.if we had brown gull speed then tuqiri and a fully fit tnt take the first 3 hitups wed make an easy 10-15 m each time too.

alex

Post by alex » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:38 pm

When Brown had his first game at fullback against the Panthers he smashed it. He returned the ball like Karmichael Hunt used to.

It slowly died off but it's still better than how Moltzen would bring it back!

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:09 am

I think Sheens interchange tactics severly cost us. We were so out on our feet it wasnt funny but he continued to play majority of the game with 15 players, with Fifita probably getting 23 minutes and Fitzhenry getting 5.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:37 pm

We did OK against the most consistent and best Defensive team of the last 2 years.

Were a young team, Could have done a bit better but that will come with experience and as the newish players become accustomed to FG.

As Coach sheens says "Your not a tru 1st Grader until you have 50 games under your belt".

We did well and We will do better next year (Barring Injury)
UTT - Up The Tigers

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 1:04 pm

We went sideways too often and not forward. ST george marched over the top of us.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 1:19 pm

Our tactics were perfect, we just couldn't get that elusive third try which is all you need to beat St. George-Ill. Despite ridiculous amounts of possession, the Dragons barely threatened to cross our line. Same old second man plays to Creagh followed by the cross field kick.

The 5-0 penalty count at the start of the game was a disgrace, especially those on the 4th tackle. The refs tried to square it up for us with two penalties, one 2m out from our corner on the first tackle and the second a penalty on the first tackle from a 20m tap. Neither gave barely any yardage or extra tackles. They were piggy backed and were still behind 12-6 at half time.

Is Shane Hayne a direct descendent of Darcy Lawler?

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:26 pm

Our tactics of swarming defence definatly worked in the first half of all the semis.
But we tired in the second halves.
In hindsight we probably needed a better bench rotation with more defensive workhorses (4 Liam Fultons would be nice).
Although we still were never going to beat the refs.

Juro

Post by Juro » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 5:13 pm

I thought the tactics were perfect, the execution was almost perfect too. We were finding form at the right end of the season but the bounce of the ball (either football or tennis ball) didn't go our way...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 5:43 pm

gary bakerloo wrote:our tactics were perfect, we just couldn't get that elusive third try which is all you need to beat st. George-ill. Despite ridiculous amounts of possession, the dragons barely threatened to cross our line. Same old second man plays to creagh followed by the cross field kick.

The 5-0 penalty count at the start of the game was a disgrace, especially those on the 4th tackle. The refs tried to square it up for us with two penalties, one 2m out from our corner on the first tackle and the second a penalty on the first tackle from a 20m tap. Neither gave barely any yardage or extra tackles. They were piggy backed and were still behind 12-6 at half time.

Is shane hayne a direct descendent of darcy lawler?

yes he is more buyist and red and white thru and thru than his saints loving uncle.