Jason Cayless

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
fainty

Jason Cayless

Post by fainty » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 6:46 pm

I apologise if this has been brought up earlier...but has anyone heard anything about this guy? Im wondering if he is over his injurys...or even still with us? If fit, I think he could add real value and depth to our squad.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 6:52 pm

He has had his photo taken for this season and has reportedly put on more muscle than what he was carrying last year. Still not sure if we will get value out of him given his previous injuries but we'll know more when the trials start.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 8:50 pm

He could be a suprise packet if the injuries are finally healed.

everett

Post by everett » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:55 pm

Was a great player years back with the Roosters but I think with all his injuries he should retire. Especially given the young talent coming through the ranks in the front row. Experience is one thing but playing injured in the NRL you will be caught out.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

tcogger

Post by tcogger » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:07 pm

Had high hopes when we signed this enforcer.But sadly looks like he's way past it now.Was great when with Roosters.
I agree,with young guns on the prowl he wont get much 1st grade in 2011.

william rodgers

Post by william rodgers » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:36 pm

Was a shadow of his former self, he was one of the best props in the world when he was with the chooks, i guess we can only hope plays half descent.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 2:13 pm

Has the boil on his butt healed that kept him out 4 the season..if so and he packs on some weight ...then could be t X factor and provide great impact off the bench...his experience alone would be benefiting the young guns in Fafita, Murdoch Dwyer and co...

Besides seems Sheens always needs a Ryan O'hara...at least Cayless didn't cost 400K a season to suit up and watch from the sidelines.... ;)

People wonder why we struggled Cap wise post GF... :roll:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 3:36 pm

I think our X factors in 2011 will be the youngsters in the forwards,

Fifita, Woods, Dwyer, BMM and Beau Ryan
UTT - Up The Tigers

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 3:56 pm

Geo. wrote:
Besides seems Sheens always needs a Ryan O'hara...at least Cayless didn't cost 400K a season to suit up and watch from the sidelines.... ;)

Not too many complaints when we signed O'Hara. However, although he had the odd decent game, he was generally ineffective (lack penetration). Are you suggesting Sheens should pllay players irrespective of form because big money has been paid for them.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 4:09 pm

No i'm saying the O'hara recruitment was a dud..he was an Origin prop thou....much as it looks like Cayless (Kiwi international) may turn out to be... but he didn't come with the same $$$$$$ impact on the Cap...it was a chance taken that sometimes comes off sometimes doesn't....

Different CEO's I guess or the policy changed...

Oh and selection should be on form but you and I know Southern ......Sheens doesn't always work that way...
Ivan's Laws

redemption

Post by redemption » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:02 pm

Spartan117 wrote:I think our X factors in 2011 will be the youngsters in the forwards,

Fifita, Woods, Dwyer, BMM and Beau Ryan
Can't see Beau in the fowards spartan!

Otherwise you are 100% right - and again I will add Jase Schirnack to that quality list!!!

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 6:16 pm

Was having a go at bein a bit funny - Though I reckon of all our squad Beau has the most self belief.
UTT - Up The Tigers

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 9:13 pm

Cayless won't get within cooee of the FG side unless injuries occur. Even then he will have to pull a pretty consistent string of games to stay in the side. I rated Cayless before the ESL, I think chasing the big bucks over there has effectively destroyed his career. It's a shame really because even though he played for a team of peanuts like Easts he was a stand out and really did play out of his skin.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:53 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:

Not too many complaints when we signed O'Hara. However, although he had the odd decent game, he was generally ineffective (lack penetration). Are you suggesting Sheens should pllay players irrespective of form because big money has been paid for them.
O'hara just struggled to find his feet, I saw him play in the foundation cup game (in which he broke his jaw) and gees he looked promising. He ran hard and made plenty of metres i thought he was in for a really big year.
In regards to Cayless maybe it will be good having him around for 12 months to help groom the likes of Fifita, BMM and Woods. I'm sure that he has alot of knowledge he can pass on the the up and comers

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 21 Jan, 2011 1:24 am

Fraze23 wrote:
O'hara just struggled to find his feet, I saw him play in the foundation cup game (in which he broke his jaw) and gees he looked promising. He ran hard and made plenty of metres i thought he was in for a really big year.
In regards to Cayless maybe it will be good having him around for 12 months to help groom the likes of Fifita, BMM and Woods. I'm sure that he has alot of knowledge he can pass on the the up and comers

Well said....
Ivan's Laws

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 22 Jan, 2011 8:54 am

O'Hara was a defenders delight, I dunno what if anything changed from his time at Canberra and Origin (1 appearance?) to his time here, but all he ever did was run straight at the tackler, no footwork, no offload, no dropping the shoulder even...no nothing, I still maintain a bit of footwork just before the line wouldve helped him enormously

As for cayless, well....who knows...injury has hampered him since he left Aus, dunno if we'll ever see him at his best again seeing hes now 31

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 1:51 am

David Fifita is better than Cayless
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 7:33 am

Balmain Bug wrote:David Fifita is better than Cayless
Is David still with the Tigers?

Rumours in 2010 were that he was being courted by other clubs
UTT - Up The Tigers