Wests Tigers team for Foundation Cup

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
tomcat

Re: Wests Tigers team for Foundation Cup

Post by tomcat » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:20 pm

tiga4eva wrote:
willow wrote:How Utai has earned a starting spot on the wing ahead of Brown, let alone Latu and Tagive is mind boggling. He lacks the pace of the three aforementioned players, and can't jump for a high ball. Really struggling to understand the logic behind that choice.

Rest of the squad looks good, particularly since Payten and Ellis are yet to join the forward pack.
Ahead of Daniela and even Beau is equally surprising.
Thats an easy one to answer,Utai has probably joined benji"s little group of friends..
Last edited by tomcat on Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:22 pm

sheens generally only play 18 or 19 in the last trial and its pretty much the round 1 team. meaney might be the 3 minute back on the bench and perhaps woods has the jump on fifita

willow

Post by willow » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:23 pm

tiga4eva wrote:
willow wrote:How Utai has earned a starting spot on the wing ahead of Brown, let alone Latu and Tagive is mind boggling. He lacks the pace of the three aforementioned players, and can't jump for a high ball. Really struggling to understand the logic behind that choice.

Rest of the squad looks good, particularly since Payten and Ellis are yet to join the forward pack.
Ahead of Daniela and even Beau is equally surprising.
Beau is recovering from injury as i understand it. But yes, Daniela certainly deserves a crack ahead of Utai who should be playing for Wests or warming the bench for BRET.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:24 pm

last week utai only played in the second row and center, he may have spent a few mins at the end of the game on the wing but it wouldnt have been long. if he gets a wing spot come round 1 ahead of brown, daniela, latu etc its pretty dissapointing

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:25 pm

on a side note glad to see Al Shirnack get a run, he was pretty decent last week and offered a lot more then moors

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:39 pm

Al should never have lost his Wests Tigers contract. He has been far and away the best forward in our State Cup squads for a few season and is getting better

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:43 pm

always liked him smeg, he has good footwork at the line which means most defenders arent able to dominate him

also very solid in ruck defence

willow

Post by willow » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:48 pm

fergiefurr wrote:always liked him smeg, he has good footwork at the line which means most defenders arent able to dominate him

also very solid in ruck defence
He looks a little trimmer this season too and I reckon he'd make a handy backrow option coming off the bench given the size advantage that Fifita and Woods both have over him.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm happy to see Utai given a go. He might return the ball strongly and if he gets back to his previous form he is a very damaging runner of the footy. It could work - if not we get to use other options.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm happy to see Utai given a go. He might return the ball strongly and if he gets back to his previous form he is a very damaging runner of the footy. It could work - if not we get to use other options.
I agree, lets let guys like Tagive get some experience in the lower grades.

Suprised Brown wasn't named in the five however, I wonder if he has suffered an injury?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 8:21 pm

Nice to see people putting their personal dislikes of players ahead of on field actions.
Give Utai a go before cutting him down

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 8:37 pm

Can the 1st post be edited to show the actual real team, its in here somewhere but no too sure where

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:18 pm

The first thing that stood out to me when i saw the team was Utai on the wing. I saw him play the other night and to me with my eyes he was one of the better players and looked hungry. Write Utai off at your own peril, good for a penalty or two for head high shots against him. Hasnt quite chimed into the tail end role of a typical West Tigers backline movement spearheaded by Benji, but will with time. We have nothing to lose with him there. Surely we will know more about Utai come Saturday. But knowing Sheens this could be Utai's last game in first grade. If he bags a double against the roosters then I hope he retains his position against his old team Bulldogs on Monday night for some payback. Really who do you think in our team will be the most motivated player to play against the bulldogs in the opener. take a wild guess. Its not the end of the world even Beau starts in week 2 , i mean, its not like he's taniela.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:47 pm

I think people are forgetting this is a trial. It's better the Fonz tries players out now than in competition rounds like he had in the past to disastrous results. I hope blokes like Al Shirnack give a good account and make the Fonz sit and take notice. Utai will be good for us as a fringe top 17 player.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Danos

Post by Danos » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 11:31 pm

WT official website says Mitch Brown & Beau Ryan are both unavailable for this weekends trial due to injuries.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 10:03 am

That makes sense then.

I hope Utai goes well. He is a strong runner with ball in hand, but I am concerned with him under the high ball.

spearby

Post by spearby » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:34 pm

good to see sean meaney get a run again he must be going ok for sheans to give him a go

Ken Y

Post by Ken Y » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 3:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:Nice to see people putting their personal dislikes of players ahead of on field actions.
Give Utai a go before cutting him down
Spot on - Lets see what the guy can do. Furthermore, lets make sure we are just as critical of all the players on the field. For once, I would like to see a season of this forum without the singled out bagging of a team member. At the end of the day, the coach picks the team, the player does his best. What more can we ask of the individual.

Anyone wearing the Tigers jersey should have 1000% percent of our support.

Enough of my rant for the day.