Wests Tigers win Foundation Cup 19 to 8

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
ThaMVP

Re: Foundation Cup live game thread

Post by ThaMVP » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:52 am

mtd wrote:
Demps wrote:YES! So Lui was the star tonight huh...
A lot of you will have to eat your words re: comments you made about Moltzen being the better player and so on.
it was moltzens first game back in almost a season. you can hardly make a fair comparison at the moment. sounds like lui's played himself into the starting spot though.
Agreed... I think either way both will be in the team.

I'm happy to admit I said I think Moltzen will show himself to be the better half once they both reach their full potential, and that's still my opinion.

That said, if it works out that Lui holds Moltzen out so long that he cements his spot permanently that doesn't concern me at all. Moltzen can take the utility spot and blitz the opposing teams on tired legs later in the 1st and 2nd half.
smeghead wrote:
Golden wrote:
Ur
*your
You're

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 1:36 pm

Lui was MOM for sure. He had that touch of class to his game and the one on one defence was really good.

Ayshford I felt was excellent and really destroyed Linnet who is a fine player in his own right. Rowdy played very well in terms of his aggression in both facets of the game.

Fifita was just terrible for mine last night. He stopped at the line and tried to fend rather than going forward. With the new PTB interpretation he is far too slow as well. Woods would be my selection in front of him

Dwyer is not starting material or anywhere near it yet. If Ellis and Payten are not fit for round one we need another option over Dwyer to start. Personally he wouldn't be in my 17 but he has provided alot off the bench for us in the past so will be there.

I thought McKinnon was better at the back than Moltzen as well.

Sheen's use of Meaney was truly baffling. Playing him at DH made no sense to me unless he wants to toughen his front line defence up I guess.

Anyway it was a good hit out and also alot of improvement to come so it was good

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 1:50 pm

smeghead wrote:Lui was MOM for sure. He had that touch of class to his game and the one on one defence was really good.

Ayshford I felt was excellent and really destroyed Linnet who is a fine player in his own right. Rowdy played very well in terms of his aggression in both facets of the game.

Fifita was just terrible for mine last night. He stopped at the line and tried to fend rather than going forward. With the new PTB interpretation he is far too slow as well. Woods would be my selection in front of him

Dwyer is not starting material or anywhere near it yet. If Ellis and Payten are not fit for round one we need another option over Dwyer to start. Personally he wouldn't be in my 17 but he has provided alot off the bench for us in the past so will be there.

I thought McKinnon was better at the back than Moltzen as well.

Sheen's use of Meaney was truly baffling. Playing him at DH made no sense to me unless he wants to toughen his front line defence up I guess.

Anyway it was a good hit out and also alot of improvement to come so it was good
Fifita wasnt terrible imo, he just didnt play his usual wrecking ball style..
As for Dwyer starting..I dont think its a horrible idea..i mean he did make a line break with his first touch of the ball...He was just left on the field for way too long which led to him giving away some lazy penalties.
Mckinnon was definitely better than Moltzen. Id have Moltzen coming off the bench till he gets some confidence back.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 1:55 pm

For me Moltzen would benefit from a few weeks at State Cup allowing Miller to play NYC which means the defensive hole that is Ayoub can be toughened up in grade football. But thats just my opinion.

Dwyers first run was great but that was about it. Terrible hands all game, little leg drive etc. But again it is a trieal so hard to gaugue form. Hopefully Payten and Ellis are back in round 1. In which case he might scrape into the 17

Jux

Post by Jux » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 1:57 pm

Where as no-one seemed interested last week, at least half the side were this game.

Lui was standout, as most people have noted.

Woods and Fafita had good impact from bench, with Woods showing what all the hype was about.

Lawrence and Lote have really developed a wonderful combo, with Rowdy's defence last night a treat to watch.

Benj was in second gear (yet still a handful for rorters), whilst Robbie looked like he really wanted to win this one.

Brown on for Utai, Moltz to bench and Woods to get his stripes against dogs.

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 2:06 pm

smeghead wrote:For me Moltzen would benefit from a few weeks at State Cup allowing Miller to play NYC which means the defensive hole that is Ayoub can be toughened up in grade football. But thats just my opinion.

Dwyers first run was great but that was about it. Terrible hands all game, little leg drive etc. But again it is a trieal so hard to gaugue form. Hopefully Payten and Ellis are back in round 1. In which case he might scrape into the 17
As fifita and moors were rotated last season it may be the case with dwyer and woods then. hopefuly fifita has cemented his spot in the side for now.

Moltzen may benefit time in state cup but im more worried as to what it would do to his confidence that he is actually playing there..

Long Distance Tiger

Post by Long Distance Tiger » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 2:13 pm

I love Moltz, but he obviously needs a lot more game time. I thought McKinnon, whilst not a stand out, was pretty safe at the back. I'd have Brown on the wing against the dogs - Utai was very unimpressive.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 2:48 pm

God, I hope Brown makes it into the team somewhere, when fit. He was terrific for us at the back end of last season and deserves first shot at a first grade spot, preferably at fullback, but, if not, certainly ahead of Utai on the wing.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:16 pm

I saw enough of Lui in that youtube clip of the Parra trial to suggest to me he is in for a big year.

ThaMVP

Post by ThaMVP » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:37 pm

Sabre wrote:Someone on roosters forumwas doing a comparison of the teams at full strength and had Gareth eliis as 'only just' being better than Mitchell Aubusson. Now i can understand that he's biased but WHAT THE
I know, and that wasn't even the best part!!!!

I had to register to their forum because of this... :P
Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 3.32.37 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 3.32.37 PM.png (45.49 KiB) Viewed 564 times
smeghead wrote:
Golden wrote:
Ur
*your
You're

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:46 pm

ThaMVP wrote:
Sabre wrote:Someone on roosters forumwas doing a comparison of the teams at full strength and had Gareth eliis as 'only just' being better than Mitchell Aubusson. Now i can understand that he's biased but WHAT THE
I know, and that wasn't even the best part!!!!

I had to register to their forum because of this... :P
Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 3.32.37 PM.png
Mate how do you think Ayshford played last night.? is Utai up for it in first grade ? whats the go with Meany only getting 6 mins in a trial game and at hooker? Lui was great i thought.
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

Balmain Tiger

Post by Balmain Tiger » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:50 pm

ayshford was quiet in attack but made some good tackles in defense...apart from a soft effort that conceded our first try...but in ayshfords defense utai put him in that position that he had to take on the winger...i guess that answers the question on utai..

on meaney there was no real need for him in the side.

fainty

Post by fainty » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 5:27 pm

Utai's defensive reads weren't the best, although he still makes metres with his runs and those cannons he runs on.
Lui really impressed me, he picked up where he left off after the dragons semi final.
Fafita seemed to get alot more minutes, so taking away his impact, i think he played about 40-15 minutes but i could be wrong due to the amounts of beer i consumed!
We bombed a lot of opportunities.
Woods looked good, i think we will see a fair bit of him in 1st grade this year.
Defensively i think we will improve with Ellis and Payton coming back.
Im not sold on Mckinnon at fullback, he does good things, hes safe and supports well. But i dont think he has the size for good metres on kick returns. Brrown could be the answer.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:20 pm

Utai defended too far in, and our sliding defense didn't compensate. Brown over him for sure.

Mrs T

Post by Mrs T » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:49 pm

fainty wrote:Utai's defensive reads weren't the best, although he still makes metres with his runs and those cannons he runs on.
Lui really impressed me, he picked up where he left off after the dragons semi final.
Fafita seemed to get alot more minutes, so taking away his impact, i think he played about 40-15 minutes but i could be wrong due to the amounts of beer i consumed!
We bombed a lot of opportunities.
Woods looked good, i think we will see a fair bit of him in 1st grade this year.
Defensively i think we will improve with Ellis and Payton coming back.
Im not sold on Mckinnon at fullback, he does good things, hes safe and supports well. But i dont think he has the size for good metres on kick returns. Brrown could be the answer.
x2.

Fainty, I was definately watching the same game as you, or maybe just consumed the same amount of drinks! :lol:

I also thought Liam and Ayshford were good in defence.

ebbytiger

Post by ebbytiger » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:12 pm

surprised there hasnt been much mention of it. In my opinion Fulton's game had as much bearing as Lui's outstanding effort. Fulton was in everything defensively, played himself to a standstill and would have slept very well. He created the tightness around the ruck which was severely lacking against the eels. It was to me the most noticeable factor. there were several sets in a row where he made 3 or more of the tackles in and around the ruck and rarely gets caught wrong footed. he didnt play his best game in the All Stars but his form late last year and in that trial ranks him as one of the best second rowers in the game.

at one stage he had made 3 or 4 tackles in a set and the roosters dropped the ball. one of our players picked it up and looked behind for someone to throw it to so to take the ball up. Fulton was there, i think having a brether but caught the ball and smashed it up. typified his game the guy is a gun for us we should recognise it.

As important as nearly any other player in the team.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 7:54 am

steven_tiger wrote:Good to hear!

Go Timmy!

Very average crowd.

Roosters aren't amongst the more supported teams. They are only kept afloat by a few corporate.

PS they are fair weather friends and as the were probably not expecting to win didn't turn up.

Good game

Watched the highlights again Yest late night, Some very positive signs.
UTT - Up The Tigers

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 8:27 am

ebbytiger wrote:surprised there hasnt been much mention of it. In my opinion Fulton's game had as much bearing as Lui's outstanding effort. Fulton was in everything defensively, played himself to a standstill and would have slept very well. He created the tightness around the ruck which was severely lacking against the eels. It was to me the most noticeable factor. there were several sets in a row where he made 3 or more of the tackles in and around the ruck and rarely gets caught wrong footed. he didnt play his best game in the All Stars but his form late last year and in that trial ranks him as one of the best second rowers in the game.

at one stage he had made 3 or 4 tackles in a set and the roosters dropped the ball. one of our players picked it up and looked behind for someone to throw it to so to take the ball up. Fulton was there, i think having a brether but caught the ball and smashed it up. typified his game the guy is a gun for us we should recognise it.

As important as nearly any other player in the team.
Fulton is comparable to Gallen (in terms of player role,) with less mistakes in his game. His work on and off the ball is unreal.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...