Wests Tigers win Foundation Cup 19 to 8

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
Kul

Re: Foundation Cup live game thread

Post by Kul » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm

habibsta33 wrote:by the way the boys looked great in the all white strip. i really hated them at the start but its growing on me and it looks great. it especially suits big lote
funny, i'm exactly the opposite. In fact I think lote looks the worst in it due to his darker skin
oh well, each to their own

Video update: 4% uploaded. It's going to take about an hour to do.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

willow

Post by willow » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:34 pm

Ever-present Lui's the halfback Tigers dream about
Josh Rakic
February 27, 2011

ROBERT LUI, take a bow. You are the answer to the Wests Tigers' longstanding halfback woes.

The 21-year-old might have more important things on his mind, such as an April court appearance, but you wouldn't have known it last night as the stocky halfback set up two tries, scored another then booted a field goal in the Tigers' 19-8 win over the Roosters in the Foundation Cup.

The Roosters, while trying in attack, missed their star half Todd Carney, and were unable to convert several promising opportunities.

Apart from Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello, Lui contributed more in attack than any other player on the field, having a hand in all of the Tigers' attacking phases and setting up first-try halves for skipper Robbie Farah and forward Liam Fulton.

It might have only been a trial but on first impressions there's little reason that the Roosters or Wests Tigers won't make the NRL semi-finals, their probing attack and shifting defence setting both apart from most others in trials so far.

Mitchell Pearce was dangerous for the Roosters and Benji Marshall looked every bit the team leader for the Tigers. Both of their first-round opponents, the Bulldogs and the Rabbitohs, have something to worry about.

In fact, all 16 NRL coaches may too, with referees cracking down on several minor infringements.

including Roosters' skipper Braith Anasta punting a drop-kick just inches over the try-line.

Fiery Roosters prop Jared Warea-Hargreaves may also have something to worry about, after Lote Tuqiri complained of hair-pulling in a second-half tackle.

The Roosters made an early play for try-of-the-season at the 10th minute through winger Joseph Leilua after the ball went through seven pairs of hands and the entire span of the field off a Mitchell Pearce bomb inside the Tigers' 40.

The ball was batted back by Mitchell Aubusson to Sam Perrett, who got a ball away for a rampaging Nate Myles, before the Queensland forward snuck a magic ball to the kicker, who got the ball away to Jake Friend then Kane Linnett before Leilua crossed on the far right.

It was the ball-starved Tigers who scored next when skipper Robbie Farah latched on to a sneaky off-load from Lui inside the attacking 10 and crossed under the posts. Marshall converted the extras to give the Tigers a 6-4 lead at the 24th.

And Lui was it again on the ensuing set of six after Roosters No.6 Mark Kheirallah put the ball over the deadball line from the re-start.

Lui broke the line in the Roosters' attacking zone before getting a sneaky ball for Liam Fulton to cross on the right.

Leilua made it a double after the break when he crossed again out wide to keep the scores at 12-8 with 29 minutes left in front of 6893 fans.

And with 10 minutes remaining it was Lui who bamboozled two defenders to cross under the posts.
Attachments
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--6--600x400.jpg
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--6--600x400.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 803 times
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS-600x400.jpg
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS-600x400.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 805 times
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--7--600x400.jpg
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--7--600x400.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 803 times
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--11--600x400.jpg
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--11--600x400.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 803 times
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--5--600x400.jpg
gal_TIGERSROOSTERS--5--600x400.jpg (58.73 KiB) Viewed 803 times

Kul

Post by Kul » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:38 pm

that reporter is very generous to the roosters
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:46 pm

innsaneink wrote:How did Gibbs go KS?
Gibbs went well for his first game, he was tired and I saw him walking a few times, he also had a cut on his left knee and it looked to be giving him some pain. On that note I also saw Shirnack limping as was Moltzen.

Aaron woods did not look out of place against the roosters pack, I had the binocculars on hm and he was giving the roosters forwards a bit of curry, in one tackle he made on Myles, Myles got up and tried to have a shot at woods who just shrugged him off and ran to the play, I thought that typified his tough performance.

Sauce looked like he wanted to have a big game so he gets good marks for effort but he didn't reach his best, he needs to be careful with tackling low and letting the opponent get the ball away also he threw a couple of wild off loads which weren't really needed. Once he hits form he will be an asset.

The Bulldog Dwyer has looked out of sorts imo in the last two games compared to last year, I think he is trying too hard, trying to capitalise on getting a run first up instead of starting from the bench, once he settles into his game he'll be right.

Blake picked up his game after the roosters scored their first try (the roosters player put his foot in touch which was missed) and had a very solid game. Pity Chris lawrence doesn't see more of the ball. Loti was very busy as usual while Fulton seemed to be happy to spread the ball in attack rather than run too much, but defended well. Benji didn't really do any more than he had to while Farah started to try a few different plays later in the game.

Overall the WTs combined well for this time of the season whilst the roosters were pretty ordinary.

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:47 pm

:righton:
109450076.jpg
109450076.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:54 pm

Man... I can't get over the size of Woods. The boy is massive!

Danos

Post by Danos » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:57 pm

KingOvKingz09 wrote::righton:
109450076.jpg
Benji doesn't look pleased.. must not have been happy with his game.. he is his harshest critic afterall.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:10 am

YES! So Lui was the star tonight huh...
A lot of you will have to eat your words re: comments you made about Moltzen being the better player and so on.
Can't wait to see the footage, already impressed with what I am reading!
Hopefully some of the lads who got negative reviews really step up when it comes time.

I think theres still a few question marks over some people's heads.
Is Wade McKinnon first grade material?
Where will Moltzen play now after it's certain Lui will be the HALFBACK?
Does Utai have the tools to even be on the field?
Lotes got it sewed up so who will be the other winger?

Interesting times ahead I believe...
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:13 am

Myles faces trouble for hit

* James Phelps
* February 26, 2011 10:39PM

WITH their biggest name facing a drink driving conviction, the Roosters' woes continued last night with Queensland Origin forward Nate Myles in danger of being suspended for a dangerous tackle on Tigers fullback Wade McKinnon.

With Todd Carney at home, the Roosters were beaten by the Tigers in a lacklustre clash.

In a further blow to the Roosters, who could be without Carney for their round one clash with the Rabbitohs, Myles is likely to have a case to answer after a lifting tackle on McKinnon.

Tigers halfback Robert Lui stole the show as the Tigers ran away with a confidence-boosting win. He scored a try, set up two and kicked a late field goal.

The Tigers were given an early opportunity when Roosters skipper Braith Anasta was penalised for not taking his drop kick restart from behind the goal-line.

The raid amounted to nothing, and it was the Roosters who posted first points when Joseph Leilua scored a spectacular try.

Mitch Aubusson plucked the ball from the sky and popped it down for Mitchell Pearce. It went through another five set of hands before Leilua dived over in the corner.

Pearce then allowed the Tigers to go deep on attack when he was penalised for a high tackle on Matt Utai.

After working their way to within metres of the line, Lui put Robbie Farah over in the 22nd minute to give the Tigers a 6-4 lead.

The Tigers were in again just two minutes later, capitalising after Roosters rookie Mark Khierallah kicked the ball out on the full. Lui ran to the line and sent back-rower Liam Fulton crashing over.

Roosters wrecking ball Jared Waerea-Hargreaves made an immediate impact when he was brought on to the field, carrying three defenders and off-loading the ball to put Pearce in the clear.

The Rooster looked to have capitalised on the break when Jake Friend dived over, but the referee ruled an obstruction.

Farah ignited a tepid second half in the 47th minute when he broke through the line and was collected by Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello.

The impact knocked the ball loose and the Roosters turned defence into attack, with Leilua making a 50m run down the sideline.

He was stopped short but scored on the very next set when a smart ball from Kane Linnett found the winger.

The Tigers protested, with McKinnon coughing the ball up after being up-ended by Myles.

The Tigers bounced backed when Marshall streaked down the wing and found a red hot Farah supporting in the middle.

But with the line beckoning, Farah dropped the ball and bombed a certain try an so was not able to improve on his one try for the match.

The Roosters almost hit the front in the 60th minute but Willie Mataka was collared by desperate Tigers defence.

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:13 am

Danos wrote:
KingOvKingz09 wrote::righton:
109450076.jpg
Benji doesn't look pleased.. must not have been happy with his game.. he is his harshest critic afterall.
yeaah looks like a robot :lol: ....
... i just noticed...gibbs isnt in there ?? :?: :?:
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

habibsta33

Post by habibsta33 » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:15 am

Kul wrote:
habibsta33 wrote:by the way the boys looked great in the all white strip. i really hated them at the start but its growing on me and it looks great. it especially suits big lote
funny, i'm exactly the opposite. In fact I think lote looks the worst in it due to his darker skin
oh well, each to their own

Video update: 4% uploaded. It's going to take about an hour to do.
really?
i think "white looks great on black" to quote Wendell Sailor

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 12:15 am

Nice hit out. Lui was excellent. Great to see him step up as both Robbie and Benji were fairly quiet - this was the most pleasing aspect for mine.

Woods again played well, just needs a bit more leg drive IMO. Fifita looks much leaner and fitter, defensively his line speed looks much improved from last season. I'd have both of them in my side.

Dwyer has poor hands, needs improvement here.

Also, I thought McKinnon was average and I think Brown should be the fullback, but can't see Sheens doing that.

Utai - good with ball in hand, hits the line hard, but defensively he is a liability.

mtd

Post by mtd » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 2:05 am

Demps wrote:YES! So Lui was the star tonight huh...
A lot of you will have to eat your words re: comments you made about Moltzen being the better player and so on.
it was moltzens first game back in almost a season. you can hardly make a fair comparison at the moment. sounds like lui's played himself into the starting spot though.

also im thinking geoff daniela on the wing, he's always been pretty solid.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 6:10 am

I'm happy there's no injury concerns a good hit out and a nice win before the season starts, the starting line up will be interesting.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 8:00 am

Demps wrote:YES! So Lui was the star tonight huh...
I am someone who may have to eat my words. I'd be happy to if Lui turns into a top option at halfback. On last nights performance he sounds like he could be.

The fullback spot is wide open and I can see Moltzen fitting in there.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 8:54 am

A good hit out and no injuries hopefully.... Lui played ok i suppose with a couple of real contenders for your spot helps the motivation along ,Woods was again impressive for his second hit out looks like to be in the mix..most played within themselves and were strong ..Utai was found wanting big time in defence the speed of the game caught him out did put in though a good replacement with some more fitness . Moltzen has a way to go yet understandable wish him well .McKinnon I don't what to make of him so far could be a player that takes a while to get going but I must say his support play is excellent many times he was there waiting for the pass that didn't come he should be our starting 1 for season opener wasn't impressive either was Brown last week.They put a double pump move on with Benji /Lote/ Robbie down the blind side setting Robbie up inside with the line open and dropped it cold this move is a Gem.I wasn't a fan of the White strip when released but it doesn,t look to bad actually. How exciting the footy is back within weeks .

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 9:00 am

Gave it to the Rorters step 1...

Liam had a blinder ...great stuff....bring on the real stuff
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 9:40 am

Extremely satisfied with the result. Good to see Lui showing more leadership and maturity on the field.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...