Wests Tigers win Foundation Cup 19 to 8

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
innsaneink

Re: Foundation Cup live game thread

Post by innsaneink » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm

How did Gibbs go KS?

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:06 pm

Someone on roosters forumwas doing a comparison of the teams at full strength and had Gareth eliis as 'only just' being better than Mitchell Aubusson. Now i can understand that he's biased but WHAT THE

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:How did Gibbs go KS?

He was ok. His defence was better than KG's but his go forward wasnt. Didnt play as many minutes as Keith. Im actually struggling to remember him in the 2nd half. If he did play the 2nd 40 it wasnt for long. Shirnack got some minutes in the 2nd but struggled with a leg injury which was a shame. He tried to battle on but just bad luck for the guy. Moors got drilled by the Roosters 15, think it was Masoe......he was a deadset beast.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Kul

Post by Kul » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:12 pm

just got back.
as mentioned, it was short of a dominant win by the WT, but still a good one. Roosters never really looked dangerous as our forwards won the battle up front.
-Lui had a hand in all the tries and will no doubt be the 7 for Round 1.
-Benji was the usual benji; nothing TOO flashy but enough to keep the roosters guessing. Kicking game by him wasn't bad.
-There is work to do though. We should have scored a couple more tries including one that Farah dropped from a Benji break.
-The left side attack with Lawrence and Tuqiri is amazing!
-Moltzen's return was pleasing. He got involved (not too much) in the halves and at fullback and that's all that we can ask for at the moment. Clearly he will just need a bit of time, but I'd say he isn't very far off being back to his best! He had to chase down a few breaks and it was GREAT to see him in full flight!

all in all, considering that we didn't have our best defenders (Payten and Ellis) I thought our forwards did a marvelous job for a trial. Fifita was a standout; nothing flash but heavily involved.

bring on round 1
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:22 pm

I think Fifita will be in the 17. He is so much better than some of the other options. I am interested with what the Fonz will do with the bench. I heard him say a few of the boys need more game time. I wonder if he will run any of them tomorrow ?? The right wing is interesting, I know fir a fact that Fonz wants Beau Ryan in the 17 as well. I wonder if he will run Utai tomorrow as he looks like he is a fair way behind getting back on track for 1st grade. I am worried about Payten and Ellis.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Kul

Post by Kul » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:23 pm

i captured a bit of video

am putting it together now and will upload soon

Golden

Post by Golden » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:27 pm

Good to see Lui stepped up, hopfully he contimues to improve since that great dragons game he played

willow

Post by willow » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:29 pm

LUI SHINES IN WESTS TIGERS FOUNDATION CUP VICTORY
By Wayne Cousins
26/02/2011 9:19:46 PM

Wests Tigers captured their first Foundation Cup victory at the Sydney Football Stadium tonight on the back of a superb performance from half-back Robert Lui.

Lui set up two tries, scored one himself, and kicked a field goal in the 19-8 victory over the Sydney Roosters in front of a crowd of 6893.

The 21-year-old also sent a strong message to Head Coach Tim Sheens that he is the man to start the season in the seven jersey despite the return of utility Tim Moltzen from a knee injury.

There appears to be no major injuries out of the match for Wests Tigers.

Wests Tigers lifted the Foundation Cup trophy for the first time since the trophy was first contested in 2007 between the two foundation clubs.

The Roosters opened the scoring in the 8th minute to winger Joseph Leilua after the ball went through seven sets of hands from a crossfield kick regained by the Roosters. Braith Anasta failed to convert the try for a 4-0 scoreline.

Some fine work by Wests Tigers half-back Rob Lui resulted in hooker and captain Robbie Farah scoring behind the posts in the 23rd minute. Lui took the line on from 10 metres out and offloaded in a three man tackle to Farah. Marshall converted the try to give Wests Tigers a 6-4 lead.

Lui again showed his class and what he can do with the ball when he again took on the line before providing a good short ball to put second-rower Liam Fulton over out wide. Marshall converted the try to give Wests Tigers a 12-4 lead after 27 minutes.

Referee Tony Archer denied the Roosters a try in the 32nd minute to hooker Jake Friend under the posts after he ruled a Wests Tigers player was obstructed in trying to make a tackle.

The Roosters applied plenty of pressure inside the Wests Tigers quarter in the final minutes of the first half but the defence held strong. Props Keith Galloway and Bryce Gibbs pulled off some solid hits.

2nd Half
Tim Moltzen started the second half at half-back, replacing Lui who was very impressive in the first half.

The Roosters got back to 12-8 when Leilua dived over in the corner in the 50th minute. The try came on the back of Wests Tigers full-back Wade McKinnon being uplifted in a tackle in which he lost the ball, leaving many to question where was the penalty. Anasta failed to convert the try.

Wests Tigers bombed a certain try in the 57th minute when Farah dropped an inside pass from Marshall 10 metres out from the tryline. It came after quick hands saw lock Chris Heighington put Marshall down the left flank in open space.

Moltzen moved to full-back to replace McKinnon with Lui returning to half-back.

Lui was rewarded with his fine game when he stepped through the defence to score under the posts in the 67th minute to stretch Wests Tigers lead to 16-8.Marshall converted the try for an 18-8 lead .

Lui then topped off his fine game when he landed a field goal right on full-time for the 19-8 scoreline.

Wests Tigers team
1 Wade McKinnon
2 Lote Tuqiri
3 Blake Ayshford
4 Chris Lawrence
5 Matt Utai
6 Benji Marshall
7 Robert Lui
8 Bryce Gibbs
9 Robbie Farah ©
10 Keith Galloway
11 Liam Fulton
12 Simon Dwyer
13 Chris Heighington
14 Aaron Woods
15 Tim Moltzen
17 Sean Meaney
18 Alan Schirnack
21 Geoff Daniela
22 Mark Flanagan
31 Junior Moors
41 Andrew Fifita

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:40 pm

Just got back from the SFS, good result for the Wests Tigers who looked pretty good compared to last week. A couple of players looked a bit tired so they will be good for the run. Lui had a good game and continued on where he left off last year.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:46 pm

lui was unreal. his try reminded me of another certain gun halfback we had a few years back...

team was much better tonight but still VERY scratchy. farah and benji were pretty quiet. dwyer was good again.

lawrence sensational and lote did lots of work. ayshford defended linnett well who got lots of ball and can be dangerous. daniela played the last 20 on SKD and raced up and cut him down every time

wood and schirnack were both solid and fifita was better then last week. galloway was pretty terrible, must have offloaded 4 times and every time to no one

defence was good. roosters only tries were from a bomb and after a mckinnon spill which should have been a penalty to us
still lots of work to do before round 1 but much happier with the performance

farahfan

Post by farahfan » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:01 pm

got back from the game and was pleased with the teams performance.

lui was a gun, he is really going for the opportunities when he sees them

lawrence has to be in origin if tonights performance was any indication of things to come this season

mckinnon had another disappointing game tonight imo, not the standard of footy you would expect of him. between him, brown and moltzen i wouldnt know who i want.

fifita made metres like a beast and is still hard to take down, hope he has worked on his fitness so he can play more minutes this year

around the 68th min mark moltzen came out of a tackle and limped back to position. hopefully its nothing as he played the rest of the game but he never really tested it out after that

willow

Post by willow » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:06 pm

Best trial performance I have seen from the Tigers against the Roosters. Looked a little shaky at the start but settled into a nice rhythm and once they scored through Farah, never really looked like losing to be honest. The speed of the game has definitely slowed with the play the ball area being heavily scrutinised. Scrums also seem to take an eternity to pack down with the whistle being blown plenty of times.

No bad players among the Tigers tonight, the forward deserve a wrap. The Tigers are no lightweights these days, but the Roosters marched out a pretty sizeable pack and they never got on top of the Tigers who defended the ruck well and scrambled well when they needed to. There wasn't a great deal of flash play among the backline but there were several clever pieces on the left side. Kicking game was superior to the Roosters who clearly missed Carney but it was definitely the Tigers night tonight.

The only injury concern appeared to be Al Schirnack who seemed to roll his ankle. Anyway, I'll give a brief wrap on the players:

1. Wade McKinnon - Much better than last week although still not really threatening in attack. Came up with a couple of good saves at the back throughout the game and will probably start the season at fullback given he was ok tonight.

2. Lote Tuqiri - Pretty good once again. Didn't see much ball in the first half but went close to scoring a couple of times. Defensively he was good.

3. Blake Ayshford - Had an excellent game in defence, never looked like getting beaten in the first half although I noticed the Roosters had more success in the second half. Seemed to work well with Utai although I reckon Mitch Brown would be a much better option outside Blake. Good game.

4. Chris Lawrence - Limited opportunities in attack but looked more threatening in the second half with more ball. Defensively he was excellent and came up with several great tackles.

5. Matt Utai - Defensively he is a liability. His lack of height definitely counts against him in defending cross field kicks and he lacks genuine speed which the Roosters exploited twice in the second half with the winger Luilai smoking him down the sideline. Came up with several decent runs though and definitely had a go out there. The Tigers have better options at the moment though and the right wing should go to either Mitch Brown, or Beau Ryan who sat in the sideline again tonight.

6. Benji Marshall - Never took the game by the scruff of the neck tonight and took a backseat to Lui. Passing game was good for the most part and his goalkicking was good. Defensively he was ok and the fact that he was reasonable quiet, yet the Tigers still won comfortably was a good sign.

7. Robert Lui - MOM tonight for sure. Played a dominant role in attack tonight and also defended well. Attracted 3 defenders in offloading to Farah for his try and then threw a nice short ball to put Fulton over. Capped it off with a nice solo try late in the game and then calmly potted a field goal. Will definitely start the season at halfback.

8. Bryce Gibbs - Only played in the first half and defended well but quiet in attack. Hopefully not injured and did not notice him sporting any ice on the sideline.

9. Robbie Farah © - Pretty good game but bombed a certain try with the line open in the second half. Fortunately it did not cost the Tigers and otherwise he defended really well and kicked well.

10. Keith Galloway - Played good minutes but not at his best tonight. Always seems to take the big unit a few weeks to get some good form up though so I'm not too concerned about him not being at his best tonight.

11. Liam Fulton - Didn't do a whole lot in attack, but his defence was excellent and he really cleaned up well around the ruck and made several good one-on-one tackles.

12. Simon Dwyer - His first run was great, splitting the Roosters open up the middle, but otherwise he has some work to do. Gave away a couple of penalties and dropped a sitter of a pass cold in the second half. Played big minutes but has some work to do.

13. Chris Heighington - Decent game from Heighno tonight. Busy in attack and defence and pulled off a very nice shot on Rhys Pritchard late in the game.

14. Aaron Woods - Will probably be wearing the 14 jersey in round 1. He might be young in age but he's old school in style, playing a solid no nonsense game with good go forward. Again outshone Fifita IMO with a mistake free game and good workrate.

15. Tim Moltzen - Good to see him back but clearly needs game time and confidence which will take time. Might jag the utility backline spot on the bench but I don't think he will displace McKinnon just yet, and certainly not Lui. Pulled up fine which was the main thing.

17. Sean Meaney - Minimal game time at hooker once again which doesn't make sense. Did nothing wrong but doesn't offer the same level of service as Farah which is understandable.

18. Alan Schirnack - He has really trimmed down and barely looked bigger than Farah. Definitely looks to be headed for the backrow which is where he played tonight but rolled his ankle and left the field in the second half. Hopefully it's not serious.

21. Geoff Daniela - Got limited game time in the second half but looks like he'll be trotting out for BRET in round 1.

22. Mark Flanagan - Limited game time in the second half and defended well but too small for the backrow. If he had more pace he'd make a decent centre but I don't think he will be a regular in FG this season.

31. Junior Moors - Better than last week although still did not get many minutes. Will definitely go well for BRET and will offer depth in the pack in FG.

41. Andrew Fifita - Looks a lot fitter and showed much improved line speed in defence. His attack was not the best tonight, he tried to angle his running too much to use his fend and it didn't work against the Roosters who kept a straight line against him. He needs to follow Woods and go straight and hard up the middle and look to use his fend if he can get one-on-one with someone, then he will be much more effective. Not bad though and had a good workrate.

Pleasing signs overall with Ellis, Payten, Brown and Ryan all sitting this one out. The Majority of the squad looks settled now IMO, with only the right wing and make up of the bench the only real question marks. Depth of the squad looks great though and the team played a hell of a lot better than last week with good structure, good intensity and decent execution which will only get better.

The Tigers look well placed for round 1 against the Bulldogs that's for sure.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:10 pm

Just got home. Agree with a lot of what was said. Would like to acknowledge an awesome defensive effort by Ayshford who covered for Utai when the Roosters were attacking. Mitch Brown may be good at no. 5. What do others think? Thought Fulton had a good game and was taking directions from the runners.
A BIG MONKEY OFF THE BACK!!
Congratulations to the Tigers mascot who put in a 1st grade performance.

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:Image
Holy cow! Look at the size of Woods! :righton:

Original Magpie

Post by Original Magpie » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:14 pm

How did Utai go?

Kul

Post by Kul » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:15 pm

Just reviewed the footage I captured.
Great news! Three tries and the field goal got caught! Am uploading now

@original magpie: utai was mostly poor

habibsta33

Post by habibsta33 » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:26 pm

by the way the boys looked great in the all white strip. i really hated them at the start but its growing on me and it looks great. it especially suits big lote

willow

Post by willow » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:27 pm

Original Magpie wrote:How did Utai go?
5. Matt Utai - Defensively he is a liability. His lack of height definitely counts against him in defending cross field kicks and he lacks genuine speed which the Roosters exploited twice in the second half with the winger Leilai smoking him down the sideline. Came up with several decent runs though and definitely had a go out there. The Tigers have better options at the moment though and the right wing should go to either Mitch Brown, or Beau Ryan who sat in the sideline again tonight.
Don't know what else to add to that really. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't good either. Made several bustling runs but defensively you wouldn't want him in there for round 1 and I'd be giving the spot to Brown or Ryan.