2nd Year Syndrome

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
Geo.

2nd Year Syndrome

Post by Geo. » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:20 pm

Will the young Guns like Fifita Dwyer BMM suffer from the second year syndrome....will the whole WESTS Tigers team for that matter......We are 2nd fav's behind ST Choke.....the pressure is there...I say Sheens has them up for it

It starts against the Dogs....

Discuss!!!!!
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

redemption

Post by redemption » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:24 pm

Dwyer might - because his ball skills & hole-running aren't as natural as Fifita's! He had many mistakes in his game at NYC level - and he needs to iron those out if he is to stay in top grade!

If he does struggle - Jase Schirnack (who is a more natural & relatively mistake-free footballer) can fill the void!

Ben MM should not be considered as a 2nd year player - he only played three games and is returning to NYC from surgery in Rd 6!!

Fifita might - but Woodsy coming up from behind him should help him lift his game!!
Last edited by redemption on Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigesup

Post by tigesup » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:26 pm

BMM could hardly be called 2nd year he played minimal games even if they were finals. Think Sheens will take it easy with Ben this year.

Andrew is a Griffith boy he won't have any problems!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Simon, he's been touted for a while and I think this year will just get better.

redemption

Post by redemption » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:30 pm

Lui should almost be considered a 2nd year player - having played only 3 games in 2009 (like BMM in 2010)!!!

And his form in the trials suggest he is going to be even better in 2011 - but we'll see how the long year (hopefully without injury lay-offs) suits him!!!

If he needs a break - Moltz will be ready to fill the breach (such is the beauty of our depth)!!!

redemption

Post by redemption » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:34 pm

tigesup wrote:BMM could hardly be called 2nd year he played minimal games even if they were finals. Think Sheens will take it easy with Ben this year.

Andrew is a Griffith boy he won't have any problems!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Simon, he's been touted for a while and I think this year will just get better.
Fifita's only set-backs would be due to attitude & fitness - but having seen how trim he looks & the fact that Woodsy is nipping at his heals suggests to me that he will be a success again in 2011!

He is off contract at season-end - therefore even if he wants to go elsewhere - he needs to perform to achieve his market value!!!

balmainbenny

Post by balmainbenny » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:38 pm

It didn;t seem to effect Ayshford to much, Not so long ago

willow

Post by willow » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:52 pm

I don't think BMM will be an issue as he only played 2 matches last year. Andrew Fifita and Simon Dwyer are both fitter than last year, and Dwyer had a full pre-season whereas last year he didn't. I think both players will continue to develop slowly coming off the bench and that's fine IMO. They're both very young but both boys don't take a backward step out there and being surrounded by experienced forwards such as Ellis, Heighno, Galloway, Gibbs, Payten, Farah and Fulton can only be a good thing for their development this year.

redemption

Post by redemption » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:58 pm

willow wrote:I don't think BMM will be an issue as he only played 2 matches last year. Andrew Fifita and Simon Dwyer are both fitter than last year, and Dwyer had a full pre-season whereas last year he didn't. I think both players will continue to develop slowly coming off the bench and that's fine IMO. They're both very young but both boys don't take a backward step out there and being surrounded by experienced forwards such as Ellis, Heighno, Galloway, Gibbs, Payten, Farah and Fulton can only be a good thing for their development this year.
What about Lui - who only played 3 games in 2009 (making 2011 his true 2nd year)??

Your opinion please....

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 8:05 pm

redemption wrote:Dwyer might - because his ball skills & hole-running aren't as natural as Fifita's! He had many mistakes in his game at NYC level - and he needs to iron those out if he is to stay in top grade!

If he does struggle - Jase Schirnack (who is a more natural & relatively mistake-free footballer) can fill the void!

Ben MM should not be considered as a 2nd year player - he only played three games and is returning to NYC from surgery in Rd 6!!

Fifita might - but Woodsy coming up from behind him should help him lift his game!!
Couldnt agree more on Dwyer, he seems to struggle to keep a hold on the ball close to the line and he seems to have trouble hitting holes. Hopefully he will get better with experience, he has alot of potential.
I think second year syndrome has more of an effect on players in ball playing roles, like in the haloves or at fullback, not so much on forwards.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 8:19 pm

redemption wrote:Dwyer might - because his ball skills & hole-running aren't as natural as Fifita's! He had many mistakes in his game at NYC level - and he needs to iron those out if he is to stay in top grade!

Comptition is good but Sheens is trying to mould Dwyer into Prop....I hope this year he runs a bit wider of the ruck
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

willow

Post by willow » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 8:44 pm

redemption wrote:
willow wrote:I don't think BMM will be an issue as he only played 2 matches last year. Andrew Fifita and Simon Dwyer are both fitter than last year, and Dwyer had a full pre-season whereas last year he didn't. I think both players will continue to develop slowly coming off the bench and that's fine IMO. They're both very young but both boys don't take a backward step out there and being surrounded by experienced forwards such as Ellis, Heighno, Galloway, Gibbs, Payten, Farah and Fulton can only be a good thing for their development this year.
What about Lui - who only played 3 games in 2009 (making 2011 his true 2nd year)??

Your opinion please....
Well if his performance against the Roosters in the Foundation Cup was anything to go by, he's in a for a cracker of a season. He really stepped up and was the dominant playmaker in that match so I reckon he's well placed to have a very good season.