ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Monday 14 March, 7pm
Venue: ANZ Stadium
Telecast: FOX2 Live
jirskyr

Re: Use of Moltzen

Post by jirskyr » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:39 am

Geo. wrote:
smeghead wrote:I still have zero confidence in Moltzens courage at the back. His first touch and if he gets low and drives with the legs he stays in the field of play.

He is coming back from a major injury and needs real game time. Not faffing about in a position he outright cannot play defensive patterns in
He was nailed on the goal line from my view.....what can you tell from 10min
I agree Geo. The kicked travelled across the goal line and he had to reach out sideways to pluck it. I don't know how a fullback is expected to turn around and dive into the field, the Dogs were all over him. IMO none of the backs would have done any better.

And for those talking up how solid MacKinnon was, he funked the first bomb, was left absolutely grasping for air on Morris' first try and generally ran the ball back without gusto. Unfortunately I don't think he has the zip anymore to be a force at fullback. He trailed reasonably well all game, but was torn to shreds by the Doggies defence when he did get his hands on the ball, e.g. the Pritchard tackle.

With MacKinnon you get fairly good position and hands, but he's not going to blast through a gap nor catch a flying winger. Moltzen has been back for half a trial and 10 mins of FG and people are talking him favouring his leg or looking a little rusty. What do you expect?

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:02 pm

tig_prmz wrote:Now everyone agrees with a point that I was trying to make since end of last season? People are seriously too bias here.
:lol:
i was just thinking how the tune has changed.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:12 pm

Being quick does not make you a good fullback (it helps though). Graham Eadie Andrew Leeds etc A fullback in this game needs to be a play maker as well good under high ball good defensively But most importantly a good communicator . Mackinnon has lost some of his zip yes but experience gets him in the right position more often that not Pity we can't clone parts of Moltzen and Mackinnon and make a player . I would at this stage give Mackinnon another month and see how he goes . If he has a shocker drop him . brown imo is no 3 full back and no 2 winger replace Utai with Brown Ayshford did not seem comfortable playing next to Utai defensively

everett

Post by everett » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm

Great debate about the use of Moltzen and McKinnon.

I agree if Moltzen was only used for 10 minutes he might as well been picked for a full game in State Cup.

If Sheens know Farah, Payten and Ellis were carrying injuries into the game why didn't he put an extra forward on the bench instead of a 10 minute back like Moltzen.

I am a fan of Moltzen but not at full back. I think he should either play off the bench (more than 10 minutes) or centre with Blake to wing.

McKinnon to be dropped and bring back the forgotten man, Mitch Brown who was solid at full back for the last 6 games. Has speed and size.

I think what a lot of people are saying that Moltzen will be picked at full back. Where round 2 or shortly afterwards.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

mightytigers

Post by mightytigers » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:39 pm

Agree that Molt needs some game time but instead of placing him into the fullback position he should be placed where he is suited and that is halfback.

When Molt has had the no.7 on his back Molt, Marshall and Farrah have had success is setting up plays and utilising each others speed and ball skill to create momentum and opportunity for the rest of the team.

Lui is not fulfilling this role yet, he is showing too many inconsistencies.
That is not saying he's a bad player just needs to develop more.

Tim Moltzen would be suited up front where someone of his calibre is required. BRING BACK THE MOLTZ!

Any thoughts?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 1:11 pm

Not yet MT need some more time on bench Give him a full half if you like . You can't play Lui off bench he lacks utility value . Give it 2 weeks

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 1:17 pm

I think for at least the first 4 to 6 weeks of the season he should play off the bench.
He didn't look confident & i can't see state cup footy bringing his confidence back.

I would use him exactly how the dogs used Barba last season.Roaming around the last 10 to 15 minutes of each 1/2. Running off Marshall & Farah

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 1:30 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Geo. wrote:
smeghead wrote:I still have zero confidence in Moltzens courage at the back. His first touch and if he gets low and drives with the legs he stays in the field of play.

He is coming back from a major injury and needs real game time. Not faffing about in a position he outright cannot play defensive patterns in
He was nailed on the goal line from my view.....what can you tell from 10min
I agree Geo. The kicked travelled across the goal line and he had to reach out sideways to pluck it. I don't know how a fullback is expected to turn around and dive into the field, the Dogs were all over him. IMO none of the backs would have done any better.

And for those talking up how solid MacKinnon was, he funked the first bomb, was left absolutely grasping for air on Morris' first try and generally ran the ball back without gusto. Unfortunately I don't think he has the zip anymore to be a force at fullback. He trailed reasonably well all game, but was torn to shreds by the Doggies defence when he did get his hands on the ball, e.g. the Pritchard tackle.

With MacKinnon you get fairly good position and hands, but he's not going to blast through a gap nor catch a flying winger. Moltzen has been back for half a trial and 10 mins of FG and people are talking him favouring his leg or looking a little rusty. What do you expect?
We have enough playmakers already, I'd rather a "no frills" fullback who does the basics right. Leave the fancy stuff to the halves and the little Lebanese fella in the #9.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 1:46 pm

tigerdre wrote:Roaming around the last 10 to 15 minutes of each 1/2. Running off Marshall & Farah
you do understand you would be using 3 interchanges for a back.
no wonder the dogs didn't make the finals.

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 2:38 pm

bonstonker wrote:
tigerdre wrote:Roaming around the last 10 to 15 minutes of each 1/2. Running off Marshall & Farah
I don't know what you mean?
I would have him rotate with either a winger,centre or fullback
& after he gets some confidence back after a couple of months i would have him in the first 17

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 3:08 pm

tigerdre wrote:
bonstonker wrote:
I don't know what you mean?
I would have him rotate with either a winger,centre or fullback
& after he gets some confidence back after a couple of months i would have him in the first 17
to me you are implying that you would bring him on after 25min and then again for the last 15.
which would take 3 interchanges.

if you mean just bringing him on after 25min and leaving him there,obviously that is just 1 interchange,and to me that is a waste of an interchange so early in the game.
maybe if we were up 24 nil i would consider it.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:11 pm

bonstonker wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:Now everyone agrees with a point that I was trying to make since end of last season? People are seriously too bias here.
:lol:
i was just thinking how the tune has changed.
It's a puzzle isnt it? When I said that, I remember someone calling the idea "stupid" and someone saying State Cup is too different to NRL and would bring Moltzen down.
I wonder where those people are now?
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

djeks the tiger

Post by djeks the tiger » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:53 am

Injury has cursed him yes, but we dont need to be carrying dead weight. He did nothing on Monday night. Dont give me this EDITED BY ADMIN that he needs game time either. If he wasnt raring to go on Monday night, he never will be. Unfortunately the games history is littered with players possesing huge potential that get cut short due to injury.

Remeber the good times, dont override them with bad ones.

Easy Tiger.

Post by Easy Tiger. » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:03 pm

geez tad harsh he just came back from a knee construction give him a fair go only got 10 mins against the bulldogs what was he supposed to do come on in the last 10 mins score 2 trys under the posts to win us the game be realistic....... :blah
NO 1 QLD TIGERS SUPPORTER.....

matty tiepie

Post by matty tiepie » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:10 pm

Mate that has got to be one of the worst posts i have seen on here and i have seen some bad ones. Djeks you my friend have no idea whatsoever.

djeks the tiger

Post by djeks the tiger » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:10 pm

Your entitled to your own opinion, but what i saw did not impress.

matty tiepie

Post by matty tiepie » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:15 pm

He played about 10 minutes after a year out from Knee surgery. what do you expect

underdog

Post by underdog » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:20 pm

:crazy

huh?

The kid didn't do anything wrong in all of the 8 minutes (thats 480 seconds champ) he was out there....

what did you expect him to do? grab the football on his first touch from a well placed grubber, step though the entire doggies team, and score underneath the black dot, after a slashing 107 metre run?

He made two or three safe plays with his touches, then put an inside ball behind Liam Fulton which was more to do with Fulton overrunning the play.

yeah lets sack him for that... :?
Last edited by underdog on Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.