Utai the dog

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Monday 14 March, 7pm
Venue: ANZ Stadium
Telecast: FOX2 Live
farahfan

Re: Utai the dog

Post by farahfan » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:41 pm

dunno how you can have a go at utai, he wasnt really tested in defense, he hardly saw any ball outside of ashyford, the only thing he could do was run the ball out of our danger zone and he did it well

and its a no brainer if morris gets a one on one utai will get smoked. i would keep him on for next week

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:50 pm

yeah pretty harsh i think. we lost coz of a couple of missed one on one tackles (eg fulton on morris, heighington on pritchard), not coz of utai
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Ausmunin

Post by Ausmunin » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:54 pm

I would have Brown on the wing instead of Utai. He is bigger, faster and has more recent experience in the top grade. Personally I think he is a better player.

derailed

Post by derailed » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:03 pm

Can't say I saw Utai do too much wrong tonight. Like a few others have said ran the ball back hard up the guts and had a go.

Did Blake pass him the ball once??

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 8:20 am

A couple of things I noticed about Utai (as pointed out by other posters) - his runs were full of effort and impressive despite the fact he probably caught a cold out there last night. Secondly he was very vocal,, it almost seems like he was playing a leadership role in the backline.

A bit tough to criticise his game I think.

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 8:53 am

Utai wasnt to blame for anything, he didnt have much ball to begin with & he had to get himself involve for the most part. Chasing down Morris isnt going to be easy when he has a head start on you.

It was his 1st game in the nrl with the tigers, cut the guy some slack. Fulton, Dwyer, Galloway, Payten & Robbie were just as quiet & didnt have much impact on the game.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:34 am

citizen cub wrote:IMO Beau is much better than Utai, younger than Utai, faster than Utai and more reliable than Utai. Beau has received a lot of unwarranted criticism from various forum members and had a few blunders last year but overall I thought he had a pretty decent season. Those who try and claim those blunders were as a result of his Footy Show segment are just fools and you guys need to take a good look at yourselves.
I agree, i think Beau overall was pretty good last year. He had a shocker against the Rabbits, and had a brain snap in the prelim final, why did you kick beau, why?? but overall quite good.
Everyone has been talking about how hard Utai runs, and I agree, but he has no subtly to his runs and does not actually make many metres.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:43 am

I think most would happily have Beau or Brown ahead of Utai, but to insinuate he was horrible last night was terribly unfair.

He had a relatively good game compared to some of the others.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:18 am

Did I not say he was a lazy player?? I also said he cant catch bomb noticed Ayshford was trying to catch the bombs while he was infield coming off his wing.. hes useless perfect sheens winger he likes useless wingers. the dogs attacked the left hand side all night and poor Ayshford was having to save the day playing 2 positions

a few people said give him a chance for 1 game, after playing 3 years of reserve greade there is your game, he sucks plain and simple and has to go

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:30 am

Goose wrote:
citizen cub wrote:IMO Beau is much better than Utai, younger than Utai, faster than Utai and more reliable than Utai. Beau has received a lot of unwarranted criticism from various forum members and had a few blunders last year but overall I thought he had a pretty decent season. Those who try and claim those blunders were as a result of his Footy Show segment are just fools and you guys need to take a good look at yourselves.
I agree, i think Beau overall was pretty good last year. He had a shocker against the Rabbits, and had a brain snap in the prelim final, why did you kick beau, why?? but overall quite good.
Everyone has been talking about how hard Utai runs, and I agree, but he has no subtly to his runs and does not actually make many metres.
What good attributes of a winger does Ryan have? Tell me.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:38 am

Golden wrote:Did I not say he was a lazy player?? I also said he cant catch bomb noticed Ayshford was trying to catch the bombs while he was infield coming off his wing.. hes useless perfect sheens winger he likes useless wingers. the dogs attacked the left hand side all night and poor Ayshford was having to save the day playing 2 positions

a few people said give him a chance for 1 game, after playing 3 years of reserve greade there is your game, he sucks plain and simple and has to go

You my friend simply do not have a clue. Go watch the game again. He played ok. Check out Farah, Big Red,
Dwyer, Heighington and Fulton. Very, very ordinary. If anyone was happy with that display they are easily pleased.

Fullback to slow, Farah hopefully playing injured, Ellis, playing injured, Ayshford will not pass the ball and his tackling ordinary. So all and all a very ordinary display from the second favourites for the comp.

There should be, but you can bet money there won't be, changes for next week.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:51 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:I think most would happily have Beau or Brown ahead of Utai, but to insinuate he was horrible last night was terribly unfair.

He had a relatively good game compared to some of the others.
x2
Last edited by jirskyr on Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:53 am

give me a break, everytime the bulldogs went down the left hand side, Utai was hanging around in the middle off his wing creating a overlap back peddling, cant belevie Im saying his Fitzy, would do better in defence

You the difference is the players that had bad games Liam Fulton etc will play better games, This is what you will get with Utai average reserve grade play week in week out

Zaibatsu

Post by Zaibatsu » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:58 am

I was never a fan of Beau Ryan being dropped, the bloke played with more passion than anybody in the side, but the OP is way too harsh on Utai, the guy had an alright game from what I've seen, certainly no more to blame than any other player...

Not chasing down Morris? REALLY? What about the bloke Morris effortlessly stampeded over the top of, anybody who pins any blame on Utai for that try is a goose.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:29 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Goose wrote:
good defender.makes a decision to come in early and gets the job done.
is above average fielding kicks
has a high work rate.

i think in all 3 areas he outplays utai.

doesn't mean ryan is a great winger,but i think he is better than utai.

utai ran the ball ok,but i wanted to see the same eagerness to get the ball like ryan does.
if he is not going to look for more ball, i don't see the value in utai at all.
his defense is not quality,and you don't need to see a bunch of trys down his side to see he will cost us points in the future.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:37 am

bonstonker wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:
Goose wrote:
has a high work rate.

utai ran the ball ok,but i wanted to see the same eagerness to get the ball like ryan does.
his defense is not quality,and you don't need to see a bunch of trys down his side to see he will cost us points in the future.
I suspect Ryan has cost us more tries than Utai will.

They are both average players, but Utai at least runs the ball harder than Ryan ever has.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:43 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
bonstonker wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:
Goose wrote: I agree, i think Beau overall was pretty good last year. He had a shocker against the Rabbits, and had a brain snap in the prelim final, why did you kick beau, why?? but overall quite good.
has a high work rate.

I suspect Ryan has cost us more tries than Utai will.

They are both average players, but Utai at least runs the ball harder than Ryan ever has.
of course he will,because ryan will be back on the wing when he is fit.
utai won't.
:lol: if only running the ball hard was all you needed to do on the wing.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:47 am

Latu and Brown are better wing options than Utai or Ryan for mine.

Brown in particular offers the hard running of Utai, the pace to run down Kevin Gordon last year and the defensive positioning. It should be a no brainer