Wade Mckinnon

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Monday 14 March, 7pm
Venue: ANZ Stadium
Telecast: FOX2 Live
Tigersmurf

Re: Wade Mckinnon

Post by Tigersmurf » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 2:37 pm

McKinnon tried hard and should be given a few weeks to get back into the groove. He has had a hampered few seasons but should come good if he can stay injury free. I want him there this year so Mullaney can take over next year. If he hasn't performed well enough by mid season then pop Jake in there and see how he goes.

I believe Brown is a centre and nothing I have seen in the last 14 months has changed my opinion. Speaking of which how bloody good were our centres last nigh!! Ayshford, Lawrence, Woods and Fifita all had very good games.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:31 pm

simonthetiger wrote:Im interested to hear peeps thoughts on this fellow.

IMO, he is slow,has awful hands and doesnt offer too much.

He did make one good tackle,but he seems to lack the pace to get blokes in the clear.

I was keen for Wade to play FB but im leaning towards Moltzen after seeing Mckinnon have to ordinary performances(in the trial agaiinst the rorters and this game).

My heart is in my mouth everytime he's near the ball.......i have no faith in him. On Moltz, well i agree with u but at the same time its still unknown about his ability to handle fullback. Many are adamant he cant, i disagree, i just think he needs time. He has great attributes for fullback and the things he needs to work on are more mental than anything and can be achieved. If he wroks on his positional play and his desire in retruning the ball, then how can anyone deny he would be great at fullback for us? His hole running, his ability to pass, his combo with Benji and Ayshford, and his ability to kick would be great to have in out number one. He just needs to pick up in 2 areas to make the transition a success.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:33 pm

With work it is possible but I feel the NRL squad will suffer while he is learning the trade if he plays in the 1 jersey

redemption

Post by redemption » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:37 pm

matty tiepie wrote:I dont know what game some of you guys were watching but i thought Lui had a good game caompared with others. he tried his guts out all night and was at least trying a few things. he broke the line on a couple of runs and looked dangerous most of the night. i think he has to be our long term 7. only my opinion
I also agree!!

He looked dangerous & played robustly!

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:42 pm

smeghead wrote:With work it is possible but I feel the NRL squad will suffer while he is learning the trade if he plays in the 1 jersey

Oh i certainly wouldnt be throwing him to the wolves, especially when he underdone from his reconstruction. He needs to get his postional play and confidence right in State Cup. Brown can fill the void in the meantime.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 6:08 pm

southerntiger wrote:I dont like being harsh a guy after 1 game but I have to agree that McKinnon doesnt cut it anymore. He is two yards to slow and is going to be found all year.

I know Hybrid will call me retarded, but I still think Moltzen has the making of a champion fullback if we have the patience with him there. He looked very sharp last night.

The only problem with this - Lui played poory last night (as did Marshall and Farah) and I am less certain that he is the answer at 7.

That all being said and one, we lost last night because Marshall and Farah failed to dominate and control our attack. When they perform we will win 9 times out of 10.
Agree, i think Moltzen is excellent at both fullback and halfback. Not sure why some dont rate him at either...baffles me.

I partially agree on Lui, I think poorly is too harsh, but certainly only average, his errors always come at crucial times, and he runs himself at the wrong times for my liking. I saw more to lik elast night than last year, but he is away a bit yet.

Our kicking last night was poor, yet we still almost scored 2 tries from kicks, we are close

willow

Post by willow » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 6:58 pm

bonstonker wrote:there is just no burst in his game anymore.
i don't expect it to come back.

i would prefer brown at the back until jake is ready.
which i hope is soon,but haven't seen enough of him to know how far off he is.
Pretty much agree, Brown gets my vote and will just get better with experience. McKinnon knows where to position himself in attack and defence but lacks genuine pace to be a threat IMO.

balmainbenny

Post by balmainbenny » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 7:34 pm

matty tiepie wrote:I dont know what game some of you guys were watching but i thought Lui had a good game caompared with others. he tried his guts out all night and was at least trying a few things. he broke the line on a couple of runs and looked dangerous most of the night. i think he has to be our long term 7. only my opinion
Matty Tiepie, I thought this was about Wade, But to be honest id rather comment about Lui, Mate agree he had a good game, Better than most last night, This guy is going to be a superstar! He was really trying different stuff last night and was not to far off the mark, It;s only a matter of time and all this will come into play, Be patient brothers and sisters its early days the comp is not won in the first round, IMHO LUI s LIGHT WILL SHINE BRIGHT!!! ( hey maybe a banner there)?

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:11 pm

I don`t like to be critical after one game either and they all certainly deserve a chance to redeem themselves, but I have to agree with Simon, I`ve got very little confidence in Wade McKinnon offering us much at all.
He was a good player in his prime, but he does appear to have lost his main asset being his pace as a result of constant hamstring problems.
Tim Moltzen although he is a better halfback than fullback has to be in the starting side somewhere, Moltzen is a massive talent and i`d be playing him at fullback so we can fit both he and Robert Lui in the side.
Jake Mullaney and Mitch Brown are other good options, but i`d have Mitch Brown on the opposite wing to Lote and i`m sure there will be plenty of chance for Jake to show how good he is as the season progresses.

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:38 pm

*remembers back to 2007 when McKinnon was on absolute fire*

Is this the same bloke? I also remember him being waaaay bigger, like an aggressive back - he's just a shadow of his former self now...

+1 Brown at fullback, he has the tenacity and desperation. Moltzen is terrible at FB.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:43 pm

He is safe at the back. He is around in attack but seems to overrun the play. Is that enough? Mitch Brown looked better last year at 1.

tigh

Post by tigh » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:04 pm

I like McKinnons effort, and his guts. However, from what I have seen, he is past his best. HE seems slower, not able to change direction as quick as he once could, and has lost any pace he had. I am, however, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - for now.

For mine, with Lui at half - Moltzen is our best No.1. When he stops trying to be pretty and focuses on the fullback position (chiming into the attack and consistant 1 on 1 tackles behind the line) , his pace, ability to slide thorugh a gap, and size and strength can see him excell at fullback. I believe Moltzen will be our Fb by years end. I believe he will grow into the position over the coming seasons to be irreplacable in that position.

Brown has done nothing wrong. He works hard and is a good footballer - he is not a natural footballer. With injury, he will be invaluable to our squad throughout the seasons. He is our 8th best back.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:31 pm

tigh wrote:I like McKinnons effort, and his guts. However, from what I have seen, he is past his best. HE seems slower, not able to change direction as quick as he once could, and has lost any pace he had. I am, however, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - for now.

For mine, with Lui at half - Moltzen is our best No.1. When he stops trying to be pretty and focuses on the fullback position (chiming into the attack and consistant 1 on 1 tackles behind the line) , his pace, ability to slide thorugh a gap, and size and strength can see him excell at fullback. I believe Moltzen will be our Fb by years end. I believe he will grow into the position over the coming seasons to be irreplacable in that position.

Brown has done nothing wrong. He works hard and is a good footballer - he is not a natural footballer. With injury, he will be invaluable to our squad throughout the seasons. He is our 8th best back.
Give him a couple of weeks he has\had a chronic hamstring injury which will like Tim Moltzen take time to recover from Maybe he is still concerned to put foot to the floor in case of another hammy tear One more tear may finish his career in NRL and he is being cautious If anyone remember saints game he was back to his best Carved saints up from the back that night . Are we going to give moltzen a hard time as well . Or Ellis as his groin is probably at chronic stage as well or Payton with his knee\calf

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:33 pm

^ did you even watch Moltzen at fullback in those couple of games when given the position? he was terrible, caught out in defence, slow at kick returns and not desperate enough.

You only need to watch Brown at fullback in the back half of last season - he is solid.

...coming from me as well, I'm a big fan of Moltz and I gave Brown sh*t when he first signed with us, now I see him as one of the better backs we have.

Cats Fan

Post by Cats Fan » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm

Lets keep it simple, McKinnon is not the player he used to be. :deadhorse:

Brown is our best fullback option IMHO.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 8:31 am

McKinnon was interviewed on 2SM 1269 around 4pm yesterday and said that Coach Sheens was positive despite the loss however had focused on lots of things that weren't up to the mark.

Very average interviewee I thought... Came across quite dull to the point were I thought the call was would up earlier than planned.

My 2c
McKinnon is a solid Full Back,
The season is early
Mitch Brown is my long term FB
Moltz is our Utility / Impact Benchy
UTT - Up The Tigers

Goose

Post by Goose » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 9:04 am

ragedmachine wrote:^ did you even watch Moltzen at fullback in those couple of games when given the position? he was terrible, caught out in defence, slow at kick returns and not desperate enough.

You only need to watch Brown at fullback in the back half of last season - he is solid.

...coming from me as well, I'm a big fan of Moltz and I gave Brown sh*t when he first signed with us, now I see him as one of the better backs we have.
dont know where this is coming from, i watch every game twice, and really liked Moltz at fullback, thought he did a good job. I thought under the high ball he was prob fractionally short of where you'd like him to be, but by no means horrible..... I love him as a player tho maybe Im bias

bigdamo

Post by bigdamo » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 9:27 pm

our centres were good what game were you watching morris looked like he had spiders on him mckinnion way past use by date and slow as an old muel talk about one eyed love youre team but be real