Some thoughts from tonights game

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FoxSports2 LIVE
larrycorowa

Some thoughts from tonights game

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 9:53 pm

We may have lost this one in previous seasons. But most of the teams in the NRL might have beat us tonight on that performance.

Excellent first 10 and last 20mins, composed, clinical, powerful (the rest was pretty ordinary really)

Warriors were poor, will finish at the bottom end of the table on that performance ~ therefore we shouldn't get carried away

Kicking game patchy again & some trouble diffusing kicks. Looks like Farah decided not to kick last week and was good early until Berrigan started to pressure his kicks (he used the same trick when he played for Broncs - bloody Bennett)

Utai & Mckinnon much better and encouraging and worth perservering with

Young guns Dwyer, Lui, Fafita, Woods, Schirnack boys good although one over read the play when Mannering scored

I liked Dwyer running wide in last 20mins

Moltzen looks like a spare wheel at the moment, although i wouldn't make changes to get him more game time. Injuries will probably dictate where he is best utilised.

Marshall, Farah, Ashyford, Tiquiri excellent

Heighington a few undisciplined penalties ruined his performance for me

Galloway starting to run into form, Payten looks off the pace at the moment

Warriors didnt really threaten our defence, but we really only stung them in D in last 20mins. The problem with this is that the easy metres allowed them to gain good field position and makes us susceptible to a good 5th tackle option (repeat set or attacking kick). We need to make sure teams are kicking from further out and to do this we need to sting and dominate in D.

We need to improve to beat the Raiders next week. But we should take some confidence from this performance and we have some natural improvement.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:08 pm

I missed the game so I look forward to everyone's thoughts as they trickle home from the game and jump online.

I'll take the 2 points.

Pressure is now off.
UTT - Up The Tigers

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:13 pm

Spartan117 wrote: Pressure is now off.
Yes we are on our way.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:16 pm

tough effort ... poor refereeing regarding the 10 metres kept the warriors in it for a long way ....great crowd in the conditions

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:19 pm

larrycorowa wrote:We may have lost this one in previous seasons. But most of the teams in the NRL might have beat us tonight on that performance.

Excellent first 10 and last 20mins, composed, clinical, powerful (the rest was pretty ordinary really)

Warriors were poor, will finish at the bottom end of the table on that performance ~ therefore we shouldn't get carried away

Kicking game patchy again & some trouble diffusing kicks. Looks like Farah decided not to kick last week and was good early until Berrigan started to pressure his kicks (he used the same trick when he played for Broncs - bloody Bennett)

Utai & Mckinnon much better and encouraging and worth perservering with

Young guns Dwyer, Lui, Fafita, Woods, Schirnack boys good although one over read the play when Mannering scored

I liked Dwyer running wide in last 20mins

Moltzen looks like a spare wheel at the moment, although i wouldn't make changes to get him more game time. Injuries will probably dictate where he is best utilised.

Marshall, Farah, Ashyford, Tiquiri excellent

Heighington a few undisciplined penalties ruined his performance for me

Galloway starting to run into form, Payten looks off the pace at the moment

Warriors didnt really threaten our defence, but we really only stung them in D in last 20mins. The problem with this is that the easy metres allowed them to gain good field position and makes us susceptible to a good 5th tackle option (repeat set or attacking kick). We need to make sure teams are kicking from further out and to do this we need to sting and dominate in D.

We need to improve to beat the Raiders next week. But we should take some confidence from this performance and we have some natural improvement.
Well said agree 100%.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:19 pm

Good summary Larry.

Utai had a top game. Dwyer had a great second half and loved seeing him get wider. He is clearly better suited there.

Team Tiger

Post by Team Tiger » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm just glad to see us having a real crack. We created a lot of opportunities in attack and it was good to see Robbie so much more involved than last week. We were so flat against the Dogs.
WESTS TIGERS: Born in 1908... United in 2000.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:32 pm

My thoughts;
- I loved seeing the young guns play, they didn't disappoint and I'm keen to see more.
- Ayshford was brilliant, possibly the best on field.
- Lui made some great tackles
- Utai wasn't as bad as I expected
- Was great seeing Tuiaki, B. Ryan & Junior Moors on the sideline.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TuiTui

Post by TuiTui » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:40 pm

tiger tigers wrote:tough effort ... poor refereeing regarding the 10 metres kept the warriors in it for a long way ....great crowd in the conditions

yep ,Tony Archer seemed like he didn't care about the 10 when we had the ball...refereeing was dismal tonight...had me spittin chips, mind you we were lucky that the refs didn't get that 1 Warriors (non)try decision correct...i give Archer 2/10 tonight and should get a talking to from the Ref bosses.
Quit work, be a Robot.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:43 pm

Demps wrote:My thoughts;
- I loved seeing the young guns play, they didn't disappoint and I'm keen to see more.
Missed the first 30 minutes got called into work listened on grandstand and they said that a Tigers player was in horrible pain and that Leeds called for stretcher Had to go and do something then . Who was the player and is he ok ???

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:23 pm

Outside backs (Ayshford, Tuqiri, Utai) made great meters and put in lots of hard work running the ball back and just genuinely making hit-ups.

I still prefer Brown over McKinnon who was better this week.

Galloway looked like he may run into some good from pretty soon.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:37 am

larrycorowa wrote:Payten looks off the pace at the moment
totally agree with this. he's looked absolutely lost out there in these first two games. just needs to get his fitness up.
i thought all our backs played good tonight. honourable mentions also to galloway n dwyer
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:47 am

tiger tigers wrote:tough effort ... poor refereeing regarding the 10 metres kept the warriors in it for a long way ...
100% agreed!!! Either the Warriors have the quickest line speed in the comp or the refs let them get away with it. I lost count the amount of times their markers weren't square and the call on Fifita dropping the ball from the kick off was crap. I'm almost certain that when Inu scored his try that the play before his foot touched the sideline while he was in his passing motion. Luckily we got the 2 points but the referees did us no favours.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 1:00 am

I was stunned Archer (I think) was able to detect a really slight knock-on by Fifita and yet couldn't see the massive arm pushing it out. Thank God he isn't at the cricket world cup - it would be referrals all night!

Had a look at the replay and amazingly Inu did appear to be inside the line or in the air throughout that play. Utai should have dived on it but it was a bit of a flukey play. Let them score down the blindside was just careless though.

Bismark

Post by Bismark » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 2:07 am

happy tiger wrote:
Demps wrote:My thoughts;
Missed the first 30 minutes got called into work listened on grandstand and they said that a Tigers player was in horrible pain and that Leeds called for stretcher Had to go and do something then . Who was the player and is he ok ???
From where I was sitting, the last 5 minutes were excruciating for Farah. Kept calling on the bench to get him off, was really strugglig with cramp. Took way too long to get a sub ready for mine, and given the game was wrapped up by then, couldn't see why playing with 12 players in attack would have been terrible.

No biggie though, he was walking around after the game. Apart from that, no Tigers player looked injured.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 2:15 am

Yossarian wrote:I was stunned Archer (I think) was able to detect a really slight knock-on by Fifita and yet couldn't see the massive arm pushing it out. Thank God he isn't at the cricket world cup - it would be referrals all night!

Had a look at the replay and amazingly Inu did appear to be inside the line or in the air throughout that play. Utai should have dived on it but it was a bit of a flukey play. Let them score down the blindside was just careless though.
There were a few ordinary calls in respect to keeping the ten, ball security (fafita being penalized despite a strip, heighington twice penalized for a strip despite not playing for the ball,) and forward passes.

To be fair, Mateo scored as well so it was an allround shocker by Archer and co.

Utai had a great game. We can speculate on the Inu try, but Woods also contributed to a try with an error and he also had a great game.

We played well without our three key forwards.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 4:23 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Yossarian wrote:I was stunned Archer (I think) was able to detect a really slight knock-on by Fifita and yet couldn't see the massive arm pushing it out. Thank God he isn't at the cricket world cup - it would be referrals all night!

There were a few ordinary calls in respect to keeping the ten, ball security (fafita being penalized despite a strip, heighington twice penalized for a strip despite not playing for the ball,) and forward passes.

To be fair, Mateo scored as well so it was an allround shocker by Archer and co.

Utai had a great game. We can speculate on the Inu try, but Woods also contributed to a try with an error and he also had a great game.

We played well without our three key forwards.
Archer tried to rape us!!!!

Enough said!!!!

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 7:58 am

We got the 2 points thats about it ! Watched the Melbourne game they would of put 60 on us hope there is an improvement next week.