NRL GAME 250 AWAITS TODD PAYTEN

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm, Saturday 26 March
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: FOX Sports 2
thewingfitz

Re: NRL GAME 250 AWAITS TODD PAYTEN

Post by thewingfitz » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:11 pm

all the best toddy, we are so lucky to have a great player like you mate congrats on the 250 play one more year and make it 300

cunno

Post by cunno » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:
cunno wrote:Yes you are right Ink, Todd spoke well tonight on FOX and is very keen on a coaching career. A couple of interesting coincidences were also mentioned- Todd debuted for Canberra against Wests at Campbelltown, now he is playing for Wests Tigers against canberra in his 250th game. Tim Sheens was his coach in his debut game playing for Canberra against wests and now Sheens is his coach as he prepares to play against canberra. Loz was one of Todd's teammates in his debut game now Loz will be calling Todd's 250th game. Andrew Leeds also played in that game for wests.

Good luck to Todd in his 250th game hope it signifies his fine career in a victory, however regardless of the result, we have all been better off for having Todd as an important part of the Wests Tigers. And there's more to come- go Payto.
Is it possible for Todd to reach 300 games My calculations are yes Could someone confirm please
Working it out on Todd being contracted to the end of 2012, by my calculations he will play 295 nrl games providing he plays in every club game from now until the end of the 2012. However this figure will be influenced by injury (hopefully there won't be any) and it will also be influenced if the team makes the finals series in 2011 and/or 2012 which could well get him up to the 300 club (hopefully GrandFinal day 2012)!!!!!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:34 pm

cunno wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
cunno wrote:Yes you are right Ink, Todd spoke well tonight on FOX and is very keen on a coaching career. A couple of interesting coincidences were also mentioned- Todd debuted for Canberra against Wests at Campbelltown, now he is playing for Wests Tigers against canberra in his 250th game. Tim Sheens was his coach in his debut game playing for Canberra against wests and now Sheens is his coach as he prepares to play against canberra. Loz was one of Todd's teammates in his debut game now Loz will be calling Todd's 250th game. Andrew Leeds also played in that game for wests.

Good luck to Todd in his 250th game hope it signifies his fine career in a victory, however regardless of the result, we have all been better off for having Todd as an important part of the Wests Tigers. And there's more to come- go Payto.
Is it possible for Todd to reach 300 games My calculations are yes Could someone confirm please
Working it out on Todd being contracted to the end of 2012, by my calculations he will play 295 nrl games providing he plays in every club game from now until the end of the 2012. However this figure will be influenced by injury (hopefully there won't be any) and it will also be influenced if the team makes the finals series in 2011 and/or 2012 which could well get him up to the 300 club (hopefully GrandFinal day 2012)!!!!!
Was counting on 2 sets of Semis 2 grand Finals and 2 World club challenges Touch confident maybe ??

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:27 pm

SCOB wrote:Gee debut in 1996.
How old is he?
He's 32 now. Will probably go around this year, next year and that'd probably be it.

Not your conventional prop, but still a valuable team member. Provided us with some great memories over the years, my favourite would have to be his try against Penrith in 07 when Collis made a break out wide, turned it back inside to Beau who sent Payten back down the short side with Richie Williams to beat, which he did with a huge dummy that everyone in the ground fell for. Anyone got footage of it?

He bagged a second later on that night after Farah? grubbered into the goal post and Todd chased through and pulled off a slips catch before diving over to score.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 7:32 am

Wests Tigers prop Todd Payten to play 250th NRL game on Saturday
Christian Nicolussi From: The Daily Telegraph March 24, 2011 12:00AM

Todd Payten was still in high school when he made his debut for Canberra as a fresh-faced 17-year-old.

It was 1996, the Raiders had been struck down by a string of injuries and Payten was given the nod by coach Tim Sheens to play against Wests at Campbelltown Stadium.

This Saturday, Payten returns to the same venue under the same coach in a fixture with the same two teams - except this time he'll play for the Tigers against Canberra.And Payten will be running out for his 250th NRL game - an amazing milestone for a front-rower.

One of the few props to survive 15 gruelling years in the game, Payten remembers that first call from Sheens.

"I was at Erindale College, I'd played two reserve grade games when Tim called on the Tuesday before the [Wests clash]," the 32-year-old said. "I know we got beat [24-16], and I was only there because of all the injuries we had.

"I was chuffed because I got time off school. I remember being in a motel at Campbelltown, Steve Walters called a meeting for all the players and said, 'The season has come to a crunch, we can't lose focus and need to keep working hard'.

"I looked around the room thinking, 'What the hell am I doing here?' There was Laurie Daley, [Quentin] Pongia, [John] Lomax, [Brad] Clyde, Ricky Stuart.

"I've still got a lot of friends down at Canberra, and part of me is a Raiders fan, but that won't hold any meaning on Saturday. It is ironic it has worked out like it has this weekend given it's Canberra."

Sheens recalled Payten and Richard Villasanti were two young props on the rise at Erindale, and gave the former a bench spot against Wests.

"I actually gave him a tape of the game last year and we watched it on the bus going somewhere," Sheens said.

"I was impressed with his speed and skill level. I still think if Todd Payten had played against St George Illawarra last year [in the semi-finals], we would have gone through to the grand final."

Payten, who spent time with the Raiders and Roosters before joining the Tigers in 2004, said 2011 was his best chance yet to win another premiership.

"Our squad is strong through to our 30th player," he said. "And we'll have to call on all those players all year. I expect us to be there when the whips are cracking."

The loss of Bryce Gibbs and Gareth Ellis has put more pressure on Payten up front, but he praised the leadership of fellow big bopper Keith Galloway over the first two rounds.

Payten said he did not expect any peace against the monster Raiders pack - the younger props.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 7:54 am

Payten's place: prop leads by example, says Sheens
Greg Prichard - SMH - March 24, 2011

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1c6tb.html

Tim Sheens is the man who put Todd Payten in first grade as a 17-year-old schoolboy 15 years ago, and he will also be in charge of the 32-year-old when he plays his 250th first-grade game on Saturday night. Theirs is one of those special coach-player relationships that helps give a team its strength.

Asked what impressed him about the Wests Tigers prop, coach Sheens yesterday gave Payten the highest compliment when he said the veteran was like a captain, just without the 'c' next to his name.

''He's always been an athletic kid and smart between the ears, and you know that alone goes a long way to getting you where you want to be,'' Sheens told the Herald. ''And his attitude since he's come to this club has been first-class. He's been a leader here. He's a captain type of character, and you can't have too many of those sort of people in your club. He's a leader on and off the field.''

Advertisement: Story continues below
Sheens was in his final year as Canberra coach, in 1996, when he picked Payten to make his debut against Western Suburbs late in the season. And after Sheens became Tigers coach in 2003, he signed Payten from the Sydney Roosters the following year.

''Todd had already been brought into our system at Canberra,'' Sheens said. ''He had really good speed for a prop, back-row speed, which has stood him in good stead as he has got older. I know he's lost a little bit of that, but we've still got a good player for the age he's playing at.

''When I got to the Tigers we were looking for a front-rower, and I obviously knew Todd and was aware of his potential. I'd watched his game, and he played an intelligent, ball-skills game. We had players like Johnny Skandalis who could take the ball up but what we were looking for was someone with a little bit of nous around his game.''

Asked yesterday if he could remember how he was told about his first-grade debut for the Raiders, Payten said he was in the final year of high school.

''I got a phone call, so I was pretty happy to be getting out of school just to go to training,'' he said. ''I got there and was told straight away I was playing. The Raiders had come off a string of losses and quite a few injuries, so I was fortunate in that I got a start that way.''

Payten said the most important thing Sheens had done for his game was to avoid trying to make him one-dimensional. ''He doesn't pigeonhole me,'' Payten said. ''He stresses to me that I must do my job, which is to go forward first, but with him being an old ball-playing front-rower he doesn't restrict me, so I enjoy that part of his coaching.''

Payten will hit 250 against Canberra at Campbelltown. It's the same ground where he made his first-grade debut, coincidentally for the Raiders against the Magpies, who are one half of the joint-venture club he's at now.

''Someone pointed out to me the other day how long I'd been going, so that made me feel a little old,'' Payten said. ''The coach is constantly reminding me that I'm not a 21-year-old any more. I get it a bit at training, but that's the way it goes.

''It's going to be a test for us against Canberra.''
UTT - Up The Tigers

senexx

Post by senexx » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:15 am

He's the current Mark O'Neill in the side.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

you know who

Post by you know who » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 12:46 pm

McGrime

Post by McGrime » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 7:53 pm

Mate that's a magic effort 250 1st grade games a milestone that not a lot of other players achieve.
Be very proud of your self because we are all proud of you.
WestsTigers

you know who

Post by you know who » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 3:04 pm

Another good read on this website

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8227689

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 9:30 pm

A win, a try assist, a beatiful flick pass in another try////great 250th Rodney

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 9:32 pm

That flick pass..(L) loved it Payten.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:51 am

That flick out the back for Ayshfords try was pure class!!

Benji himself couldn't have executed it any better. Great work from the big Hombre...after all these year he still thinks of himself as a halfback...lol.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:55 am

:master:

wish they had shown more replays of that pass.