Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: FOX Sports 2
willow

FARAH WARY OF CRACK DOWN ON SCRUMS

Post by willow » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 7:17 pm

FARAH WARY OF CRACK DOWN ON SCRUMS
By Wayne Cousins
25/03/2011 12:12:43 PM

Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah says former Assistant Coach Royce Simmons would be sitting back smiling in England knowing referees were cracking down on scrums this weekend in round 3 of the Telstra Premiership.

Farah said he practised some hooking of the ball at training on Wednesday in preparation of the match against Canberra Raiders at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night.

“We have spoken about the cracking down and we need to make sure we don’t give away a stupid penalty especially when we have got the ball,’’ Farah said.

“It is one of those penalties that you would be kicking yourself if you did give one away.

“We practised scrums a fair bit but more so our set plays. It was a bit different, a throw back to the 80s.

“Royce would be proud. He used to try and get me to hook in the scrums. He told me I wasn’t a real hooker because I didn’t wear shin pads. He be in England reading the newspapers about it with a smile on his face.”

Head Coach Tim Sheens admitted his players had been undergoing plenty of scrimmaging work.

“We have been told with the scrimmaging that there will be one warning and then there will be penalties,’’ Sheens said.

“We have done some scrimmaging work this week. In fact, we have done more scrimmaging than we have done in the last five years to make sure that we don’t have any issues there.

“So far we have been pretty good. We haven’t had any problems with the scrums or in the play the ball area to speak of.

“We have been told what to expect so we have been working hard to make sure it happens.”

Farah said the Raiders would be hurting after losing their first home match of the season last weekend. He said new half-back Matt Orford was a key man in leading the Raiders around with Terry Campese injured.

“They have a big pack and I’m sure they will be better for the run last week too. With Orford having his first game, he would have been a bit rusty. I dare say he will be a lot better this weekend,’’ Farah said.

“It will be a tough game. Even though we beat them in all 3 games last year, every game went down to the wire and by no means were they easy games.

“I don’t they are too different with Orford running the show. (Five-eighth)Josh McCrone has been playing well and Blake Ferguson on the wing has been a great attacking weapon for them especially with their kicks. They have still got a massive forward pack and Brett White is back in this week from suspension. Obviously it is a bonus for us with Campo not being there.”

Match Day
2.45pm: Gates Open
3pm: NSW Cup Rd 3: Wests Magpies v North Sydney Bears
5.15pm: NYC Rd 3: Wests Tigers v Canberra Raiders
7.30pm: NRL Rd 3: Wests Tigers v Canberra Raiders.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 7:32 pm

Dunno sometimes.
They focus on the ball not being a cm over the line in drop outs, focus on props feet and backrowers arms in scrums...wasting gametime and fans money....yet ignore blatant offsides in general play and its only rd 2.
Bulldogs players was clearly and audibly warned several times....at least 3 or 4 ...;last week before being pinged.
Yet if a player is half a step in front of a kickoff..............

cunno

Post by cunno » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 8:10 pm

The only 'new iniative' that is any value IMO is insisting that players actually play the ball back with their foot when they play the ball.

balmainbenny

Post by balmainbenny » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 8:29 pm

innsaneink wrote:Dunno sometimes.
They focus on the ball not being a cm over the line in drop outs, focus on props feet and backrowers arms in scrums...wasting gametime and fans money....yet ignore blatant offsides in general play and its only rd 2.
Bulldogs players was clearly and audibly warned several times....at least 3 or 4 ...;last week before being pinged.
Totally agree Ink, Tis sad that the refs are so inconsistent, One would think this early in the season they would be fairly on the ball so to speak, And progressivly get worse as the season goes on, Sad truth is they always have been inconsistent and always will be, Some people might say human like, But we all know thats not true!

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:32 am

x2
I don't understand it. Harrigan just wants to cause controversy in a big game. get his name all over the papers

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:47 am

Bad refereeing cost us a chance of winning the comp last year.
My pet hate now is how often a dummy half throws a forward pass to the first receiver (Ennis in particular) and dumb arse commentators forever call them flat passes.
Where did the term "flat pass" originate from anyway ?
Maybe the dopey journo who kept referring to "scrimmaging" in the original article?
Scrimmaging is American football
FYI- it's a scrum not a scrim- we call it scrummaging.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:54 am

prattenpark wrote:
x2
I don't understand it. Harrigan just wants to cause controversy in a big game. get his name all over the papers
Exact same point was brought up by Benji when talking to David Gallop on week befores footy show . Gallop basically ignored him . It makes no sense Use video ref less but then pull someone up for being one step over with drop kicks . And then some refs have teams back 13 metres others 8 if lucky . Don't they get it we and the players just want consistancy . Harrigan : Once a cop always a cop