General Play Kicks

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 3 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 Delay
mtd

General Play Kicks

Post by mtd » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 1:18 pm

I'll probably start a thread each week on this...

Its SO SO important we get it right...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 1:34 pm

Okay... What exactly are you concerned about? Accuracy? Depth? Options? Chase?

mtd

Post by mtd » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 4:50 pm

Yossarian wrote:Okay... What exactly are you concerned about? Accuracy? Depth? Options? Chase?
accuracy - finding the green, not the hands of a fullback/winger

a good kick gives us good field position. a bad kick takes away alll our hard work.

its the most frustrating part of our game these days, in my opinion.

the old days (2-3 years ago) of the forwards struggling is gone... its our kicking game that let us down the majority of the time...

willow

Post by willow » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 5:03 pm

It was good against the Raiders and Miller can certainly kick so it's more than likely going to be shared between he and Benji. One thing in the Tigers favor also is Miller's short kicking game, he tends to weight the ball fairly well.

mtd

Post by mtd » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 5:12 pm

willow wrote:It was good against the Raiders and Miller can certainly kick so it's more than likely going to be shared between he and Benji. One thing in the Tigers favor also is Miller's short kicking game, he tends to weight the ball fairly well.
it was much better against the raiders for sure - against the dogs it was shocking. the problems just the consistency..

i think thats part of the reason i rate moltzen so highly, he knows how to get us in good field position.

i look forward to seeing miller in action, alot of good things being said about him.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 5:13 pm

Helps when Farah kicks as well. Dummy half kickers are always useful. Benji kicked a 40/20 (well practically) and in general it was a vast improvement on Week 1 in particular.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 7:24 pm

mtd wrote:
willow wrote:It was good against the Raiders and Miller can certainly kick so it's more than likely going to be shared between he and Benji. One thing in the Tigers favor also is Miller's short kicking game, he tends to weight the ball fairly well.
it was much better against the raiders for sure - against the dogs it was shocking. the problems just the consistency..

i think thats part of the reason i rate moltzen so highly, he knows how to get us in good field position.

i look forward to seeing miller in action, alot of good things being said about him.
Yes but Moltzen has never been a first string general play kicker even before his knee injury, it was predominantly Marshall and Farah doing all the kicking with Moltzen only chiming in occasionally with a kick, which is unusual given he is touted as having the biggest boot in the club for general kicking. I'll be interested to see Miller's kicking this weekend.

mtd

Post by mtd » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:46 pm

thought it was much better (in patches) this week..... i think its pretty clear that moltz really needs to be kicking on the last where possible...

kick chase was also impressive (in patches)...

good to see improvement in this area!

willow

Post by willow » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 5:28 pm

mtd wrote:thought it was much better (in patches) this week..... i think its pretty clear that moltz really needs to be kicking on the last where possible...

Can't agree with that sorry, it went backwards from the Raiders game. The team didn't build any pressure by kicking dead too often. Only forced one line drop out through a kick too.

mtd

Post by mtd » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:40 pm

willow wrote:
mtd wrote:thought it was much better (in patches) this week..... i think its pretty clear that moltz really needs to be kicking on the last where possible...

Can't agree with that sorry, it went backwards from the Raiders game. The team didn't build any pressure by kicking dead too often. Only forced one line drop out through a kick too.
i should really be more specific..

im referring to the placement when we are coming back out of our own half. we were finding green, not the wingers or fullbacks on the full... close to the line our kicks were crap for sure... but im not too stressed about that... that being said, if we were more effective closer to the roosters line with our kicks, we may very well have got up...