Sheens on Miller

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 3 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 Delay
boonboon

Sheens on Miller

Post by boonboon » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 7:28 pm

JACOB Miller left the Sydney Roosters looking for an opportunity. On Sunday, he will receive it against his old side.
Miller, 18, was yesterday named at halfback by Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens for Sunday's game with the Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium.
For Roosters officials, it will be a bitter-sweet occasion. The club released Miller in the off-season even though he had a year remaining on his contract.
"Everyone in the club loved him," Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said.
"He wasn't going to play first grade with (Mitchell) Pearce and (Todd) Carney here. He had a chance to move. He didn't want to go. We didn't want him to go. We couldn't fit three into two."
The Roosters' loss has been the Tigers' gain. Miller's signing could prove a masterstroke, particularly given the Tigers' injury crisis.
Halfback Robert Lui (foot) has joined Chris Lawrence and Lote Tuqiri on the sidelines. Sheens could have named Tim Moltzen at halfback, but opted for Miller.

"I'm very happy with the way he's performing," Sheens said.
"He's a very good goalkicker, a very good kicker of the ball. He's got a lovely feel for the game. He's a good-sized kid. I do believe the kid can handle our style of play at where we are right now. I didn't want any disruption."

Looks like he will be kicking goals

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 7:55 pm

Coming from Sheens that's a lot.....

Best of luck to Jacob..

Oh and dont believe the cock n bull that O'Sullivan sprouts either
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 9:10 pm

Geo. wrote:Coming from Sheens that's a lot.....

Best of luck to Jacob..

Oh and dont believe the cock n bull that O'Sullivan sprouts either
Thats the same O'Sullivan that was part of the storm rorts right? How is he still part of this game?
Bring Back Dr Pepper -- Tiger Blood

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Demps » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 9:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing him play, hopefully he doesn't disappoint.
Also hope he carves his old team mates up!

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Wed 30 Mar, 2011 11:41 pm

Miller will be pumped playing against the Roosters -- just like Ayshford who is a Roosters junior.
The panelists on NRL on Fox ALL tipped the Roosters to win. Good. To be underdogs that is.
Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

you know who

Post by you know who » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 11:31 am

I like what i have seen so far in NYC, i know its a big jump from NYC to NRL but sheens must think hes up to it. Good to finally have someone that kcik goals i beleive that we may have beaten the dogs if benjis goal kicking was 100% in the first game, because they only scored a late try to blow out the score board to 10 points as well.

Post by 851 » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:06 pm

I rate him,I hope he shows his true talent and is not overawed,Lui might have to come back in reggies if he does.
Go hard or go home

you know who

Post by you know who » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 1:44 pm

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 2:17 pm

I agree this kid can really play, i hope he has a blinder on sunday & we win.

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 2:41 pm

Tons of DreamTeam potential here
UTT - Up The Tigers

thylacine

Post by thylacine » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 2:47 pm

Sheens said in another thread that Miller WON'T be taking over the goal kicking

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 4:28 pm

thylacine wrote:Sheens said in another thread that Miller WON'T be taking over the goal kicking
This is a pity ! Surely if Benji is having a "bad" day with the boot, Jacob would be called on for the job ! We lose quite a few games due to Benji's missed goals, give the young guy a go, I say :idea:

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 7:09 pm

The Kid is 18 the kicking will come lets get him on the park weekly first.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 8:00 pm

Geo. wrote: Oh and dont believe the cock n bull that O'Sullivan sprouts either
Yeah barring injuries he doesn't get a FG look-in at the Tigers either.

cunno

Post by cunno » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 8:56 pm

Sheens will have worked out a role for Miller to play which will take into account his lack of NRL experience, his own skills and strengths, the opposition and the needs of his own team mates. If Miller sticks to this he will have achieved what is expected of him. It is a big step up for him against his old club at a time when his current club has been hit by injury, all the best for a good game.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 9:25 pm

Sheens puts faith in rookie Miller
Ian McCullough
March 31, 2011 - 5:54PM

AAP

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is confident 18-year-old halfback Jacob Miller can fill the void left by the injured Robert Lui as his side's injury crisis deepened.

The Tigers were rocked on Thursday after it emerged Lui would be sidelined for six weeks with the ankle problem he sustained in last Saturday's win over Canberra.

The victory proved costly for Sheens' team, with Chris Lawrence set to miss up to four months after dislocating his hip and Lote Tuqiri breaking his arm in the same match.

The trio join such stars as Gareth Ellis, Liam Fulton, Bryce Gibbs and Beau Ryan on the unavailable list, with Lui's absence forcing Sheens to name a sixth new face in the No.7 shirt in just over two years.

In that time Benji Marshall, Blake Lazarus, Robbie Farah, Tim Moltzen, John Morris have all had to fill in at halfback due to injuries.

Miller is preferred at halfback for Sunday's clash with the Sydney Roosters to Moltzen, who is named in the centres, despite the 22-year having yet to taste defeat in the eight games he has played alongside five-eighth Marshall since round 17 in 2009.

However, Sheens, said Moltzen, who will be starting his first game in almost a year following knee surgery, needs more game time before being used as a playmaker.

"Tim hasn't played much football in the last 12 months, he's really a running player for us at the moment, he's gradually coming back, but at the moment I am happy using him as a utility," Sheens said.

"We will have to wait and see what happens over next month, we'll see if young Jacob can handle it, but Timmy is there as an option."

Miller captained NSW U-18s against Queensland last year, and ironically will make his first-grade debut against his former club at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"He has been going very well, he played in two first grade trials, and from my point of view I am happy with where he is," Sheens said.

"Mitchell Pearce played first grade at the same age and if you are good enough you are old enough and I think he's good enough.

"Most of my guys have played first grade young, (Andrew) Fifita, Liam Fulton, Robbie Farah was a 17-year-old, and there is also Benji Marshall.

"Young kids seem more prepared for first grade now."

Skipper Farah echoed Sheens' confidence in Miller.

"He's a really good kid, he had a really good pre-season and is a smart halfback, he has a little bit of cheek in him which is needed for a kid, he won't have any problem bossing the boys about the park," Farah said.

Farah said he had taken heart from the way the team's young forwards, Simon Dwyer, Aaron Woods and Alan Schirnack had filled in for Ellis, Gibbs and Fulton.

"In the first couple of weeks the young kids stepped up well and now the outside backs get a chance," he said.

"Guys like Mitch Brown and Geoff Daniela have been waiting in the wings for their chance and they have that this week."

willow

Post by willow » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 7:30 am

Cooped-up Rooster gets a run with Tigers
Chris Barrett - SMH
April 1, 2011

THE ROOSTERS did not want to lose Jacob Miller and he did not want to go. Which is why when the 18-year-old halfback makes his NRL debut for Wests Tigers against them on Sunday there will be mixed feelings at Bondi Junction.

''I'll be watching with a great deal of pride, really,'' said Peter O'Sullivan, the Roosters' recruitment chief. ''It was with a great deal of sadness that we let him slide. But it sort of indicates that what he did and what we did was the right thing. He's just a quality young player.''

It is a quirk of circumstance that will mean the NSW Far North Coast product enters first grade against the very two playmakers who stood in his way at the Roosters. Miller, on a scholarship at the Eastern Suburbs club since he was 14, was convinced to head to the Tigers at the end of last season knowing that his path to the NRL was likely to be blocked for some time by Roosters halves Todd Carney and Mitchell Pearce.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''He still had a year to run [on his contract] but we didn't want to lose him and he didn't want to go,'' O'Sullivan said. ''But with Mitchell and Todd at 21 and 24, it was probably in his best interests to leave. We thought there was probably going to be a better chance for him to play NRL on a regular basis at another club.

''If he was playing for us he'd be playing under-20s this week. If we had an injury, then Braith [Anasta] moves to No.6.''

As it happens, an injury to Tigers halfback Robert Lui has created an opportunity for Miller earlier than he may have imagined after he starred in the opening three rounds of the under-20s. He could be given time to adjust to the role, too, with the Tigers saying yesterday Lui would be sidelined for six weeks with an ankle injury.

Another halves option, Tim Moltzen, will play at centre to cover for the long-term absence of Chris Lawrence (hip), with Blake Lazarus, who made his debut last year after injuries to Moltzen and Lui, now playing in France.

O'Sullivan's opinion of Miller has been high for some time. He tried to sign him in his previous posting, as head of recruitment for Melbourne.

''I don't think he'll be overawed. It will be quite natural for him - these are players he's hung around the last couple of years,'' O'Sullivan said of Miller, who finished his schooling last year at Matraville Sports High. ''He'll be wanting to match it with them [Carney and Pearce].''

Tigers coach Tim Sheens also threw his support behind Miller yesterday. ''If you're good enough, you're old enough. And I think he's good enough,'' Sheens said.

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by westTAHger » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 7:59 am

go enjoy yourself, and what-ever the result on sunday, be proud that you have played first grade.
that in itself if is a massive ahchievement.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie