Moltzen

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 3 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 Delay
Vicious

Re: Moltzen

Post by Vicious » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 8:59 pm

I don`t understand what playing Ellis in the centres would accomplish? We badly lack some oomph in the back row before the ball even gets to the centres.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 9:24 pm

I always wanted him to start at state cup and probably should've for the first couple of weeks before injuries but now I think we need him. His defence may not be the best, but his combo with Benji will start working soon. If Robbie goes, then Moltzen has to be in the team.

Miller to half, and if Daniela/ Ashyford get suspended then Moltz to centre.

Defence today was terrible, but in attack we were flat footed. Moltzen is the best attacking choice IMO atm.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 10:25 pm

I thought Motzen got better as the game went on. He gained confidence - give the the guy a go guys. He showed he still has his step, and having this game under his belt will only do him the world of good.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 11:14 pm

tiger05 wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:People wanted him at half instead of Lui, or at fullback instead of McKinnon. That is laughable, that's my point. The guy is not even match fit yet and some people want him starting in a key position.
I still want him at fullback instead of McKinnon however I can see your point but only because McKinnon has stepped it up recently. McKinnon lacks speed. He is a true fullback but he lacks the speed to really give the opposition problems. Moltzen could cause the opposition problems the issue with playing him at 1 is that defensively he doesn't seem up to it at the moment.
McKinnon may lack pace but he is the only fullback we have who's support play is top notch. Moltzen could never offer the same from fullback and his defense is terrible.

Who was there to take the offload in the first set when we almost scored? Who was constantly sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads all afternoon? Who made over 200 meters? McKinnon.

He may be slow but the bagging he has copped this year is pretty pathetic. The only thing he lacks is speed, which is understandable given his age and previous injuries. McKinnon has every attribute you want in a fullback.

As for Moltzen, I am not bagging him, I am bagging the people who want him playing a key position like halfback or fullback. Today showed he is way off the pace and should not even be mentioned for either of those positions. Lui is our first choice halfback, Miller should be second choice. And I would play Brown at fullback before Moltzen if McKinnon was not available for whatever reason.

McGrime

Post by McGrime » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:23 am

Moltzen will start at half Vs Souths he showed enough yesterday to suggest he is on his way back. Remember guys our attack is what cost us a win yesterday we had enough chances to win that game.
I don't think yesterdays effort was that ban considering the number of changes to the side.
"Dont Panic" even a close loss Vs Souths next Friday will not be the end of our season.
WestsTigers

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:57 am

Moltzen plays a traditional 5/8 role. That is what he does best. It has worked in the past because Robbie was on song and we had our full compliment of forwards. When we are in the arm wrestle we need a player who can guide the team and churn through the sets. Rob Lui had learnt to do this.

Moltzen at half is very much in line with our previous incarnation of all flash and little substance.

I like Tim as a player but unless Robbie is 100% and guiding the team from the ruck we struggle.

He should be first cab off the rank if Benji is missing

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:09 am

Had a mixed bag for mine. His effort to chase down Lieulia(?) and bring him down was terrific. Thought he worked well all day defensively. Patchy with the ball in hand, but that will happen when you're getting dominated at the front.

I thought Miller looked good despite his limited game time.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:18 am

The boy is a still a few runs short, but didnt do anything wrong... I suppose you could pick a few moments in the game where he could of chosen better options, but I feel that is a bit harsh at this stage of his redevelopment.

I'd question the choice of playing him at 7 more than his effort. (but I'm glad the BS about records can be put to bed now)

Fire Up Timmy!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:37 am

Tiger Watto wrote:The boy is a still a few runs short, but didnt do anything wrong... I suppose you could pick a few moments in the game where he could of chosen better options, but I feel that is a bit harsh at this stage of his redevelopment.

I'd question the choice of playing him at 7 more than his effort. (but I'm glad the BS about records can be put to bed now)

Fire Up Timmy!!!
You can still see he is having problems with his knee . There was one stage in 2nd half when he had Heighno outside him he and no one(apart from cover defense) to beat and he stumbled . I am going to bet that he had either a minor lock up or a give way with it .Because the way he ran freely for most of the game suggested he goes himself he would of scored or been able to put Rhino across the paint .

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:40 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
tiger05 wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:People wanted him at half instead of Lui, or at fullback instead of McKinnon. That is laughable, that's my point. The guy is not even match fit yet and some people want him starting in a key position.
I still want him at fullback instead of McKinnon however I can see your point but only because McKinnon has stepped it up recently. McKinnon lacks speed. He is a true fullback but he lacks the speed to really give the opposition problems. Moltzen could cause the opposition problems the issue with playing him at 1 is that defensively he doesn't seem up to it at the moment.
McKinnon may lack pace but he is the only fullback we have who's support play is top notch. Moltzen could never offer the same from fullback and his defense is terrible.

Who was there to take the offload in the first set when we almost scored? Who was constantly sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads all afternoon? Who made over 200 meters? McKinnon.

He may be slow but the bagging he has copped this year is pretty pathetic. The only thing he lacks is speed, which is understandable given his age and previous injuries. McKinnon has every attribute you want in a fullback.

As for Moltzen, I am not bagging him, I am bagging the people who want him playing a key position like halfback or fullback. Today showed he is way off the pace and should not even be mentioned for either of those positions. Lui is our first choice halfback, Miller should be second choice. And I would play Brown at fullback before Moltzen if McKinnon was not available for whatever reason.
:master:

Wade Mac is proving his worth this year. Lacks genuine pace but still creates chances. The fact that he lacks pace and has no support is abhorrent in my opinion! Moltzen back to #14 next week.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:41 am

Vicious wrote:I don`t understand what playing Ellis in the centres would accomplish? We badly lack some oomph in the back row before the ball even gets to the centres.
Because I can't see a better defensive option who can play in the centres and with GI and Sutton running at Daniela he won't cope well in my opinion Maybe even play Dwyer there I don't know but we lost that game with our defense on or around the edges and if any team will focus on that with big mobile forwards it will be the Rabbits

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:43 am

Moltzen offers one of the best individual attacking options for the Tigers. He has the ability to create something off his own bat- and given the injury list, this can't be overlooked.

Coming back from a long-term injury, I expect it'll take him a couple of weeks to fully get his rythem. How long would it take for Miller to get comfotrable starting? 6 weeks or more? Then Lui's back...

Best bet is to play Moltz, get him some game time, and let Benji do his thing.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:45 am

Wade McKinnon is leaps & bounds better than he was last year. He's an excellent support runner & has really created some of the best attacking moves for the Tigers this season. Him & Utai have been revelations all season.

The real issue has been the injuries- if the Tigers could have a few of their forwards back, things might be ok.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:56 am

Chadman's Ghost wrote:Moltzen offers one of the best individual attacking options for the Tigers. He has the ability to create something off his own bat- and given the injury list, this can't be overlooked.

Coming back from a long-term injury, I expect it'll take him a couple of weeks to fully get his rythem. How long would it take for Miller to get comfotrable starting? 6 weeks or more? Then Lui's back...

Best bet is to play Moltz, get him some game time, and let Benji do his thing.
I agree Moltzen does offer genuine attack at his best, and this is mainly due to his running game through speed...

I dont agree with you on the Moltzen ahead of Miller for the exact point you make about Lui being back in 6 weeks. If Lui was gone for the season, I'm all for Moltzen working his way and weaving his magic as a second 6. But he isnt, and Moltzen at 7 changes our style of play and structure, whereas I feel confident Jacob can easily step in and replace Lui as they offer a similar style of game. Once Lui is back, it will be a straight switch and we dont have to make many changes to the style of football we play...

Either way, I dont think Moltz or Miller will let us down!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:02 am

I'm just not sure if we can really expect a rookie to step in & contribute the way we require him to right off the bat. He'll need weeks to get used to the speed of 1st's. By the time he feels comfy- Lui will be back. So where's the benefit?

Moltz is short of a run- not experience. I could very well be wrong (it happens sometimes) but I think he offers the best option with Lui out.

In fact, I'm still not convinced he's not the best option even with Lui available- but that's just me.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:15 am

Really should have been the other way around. Miller starting, Moltzen there to pick up the pieces if Miller wasn't working.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:50 am

The only difference between Moltz's performance at halfback today and is other 8 performances is that we lost. He actually had a decent game but a halfback he is not. He is a running back and has always looked best when running off Marshall.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 11:16 am

Geo. wrote:i thought he was fantastic.....sparked the attack ran hard and chased even harder...

great game Moltzen
I thought he was pretty good too, other than the terrible miss tackle on SKD early on.... he sparked heaps in attack
He missed 1 tackle and made 2 errors, one of which was a kicking error where a kick went dead from 60 meters out, by no means unforgivable.

Was he the best on ground, nope, was he terrible certainly not. His performance was probably similar to Lui in his games against warriors and canberra, where many were hailing Lui the next joey johns.